PDA

View Full Version : Warner Village To Come To An End

McBain
05-04-04, 01:40 PM
Warner Village will be changing names very soon to VUE.

There is a new website up already, and tbh, it's shite....

http://www.myvue.com/

I have been trying to check whats on at Finchley (or more importantly, what time Starsky & Hutch is on at) and the bleedin website doesn't work! It has now actually just gone down :roll:

Looks like the name is changing, but not much else then, eh :dozey:

Dusted
05-04-04, 03:48 PM
Apparently its a MBO(Management Buy Out) from Speanbridge Cinemas involving Rob Arthur, Paul (can't remember his name - Geordis chappy who was mine n Andys manager) and Alan Brown(? is that right?).

How many sites did/does WV have - was it about 30 at the last count? Its quite a feat - Speanbridge had 3 sites in Scotland and 1 in China or Taiwan I think. So from Small to chuffing large!

Also there is a great photo of Rob Arthur on the Speanbridge website although it may have been taken down now!

gob
05-04-04, 05:30 PM
Yeah Rob Arthur is the Operations Director and Kevin Ratman McCarthy works for them too.

I think they are owned by a seriously big Yank venture capitalist who trumped up the cash to buy all 51 sites.

All the Harvester bastards pissed off pretty quickly too once SB took over.

McBain
05-04-04, 06:15 PM
all 51 sites.

:shock:

WV got up to 51 sites?

Crippler2032
05-04-04, 08:05 PM
there keeping the West End site tho

Dusted
05-04-04, 10:09 PM
Chuffing Hell. 51. I started back in 92 when they had 9!!!!

Hope it goes belly up for them - I feel they have bitten off more than they can chew.

gob
05-04-04, 10:16 PM
Yeah it was 50 ish. Remember they opened loads of nice looking but badly run white elephants (Carlisle, Manchester Lowry, Star City) that made losses all over the place that had to be subsidised by dirty nasty looking well run profitable sites overlooking the North Circular.

Good luck to em I say. I never had any problems with Rob Arthur and at least when McCarthy was screwing you over, he told you and didn't sneak around behind your back like Burns.

Oh btw Roger is the GM of Esporta in Wimbledon and says Hi while rubbing his head and looking stressed to all ex West Endies. :roll:

McBain
05-04-04, 11:07 PM
Oh btw Roger is the GM of Esporta in Wimbledon and says Hi while rubbing his head and looking stressed to all ex West Endies. :roll:
OMG :lol: You managed any freebies of him yet then? :)

Hope the little geeza's alright. We should arrange a re-union some time :lol:

Smokey
06-04-04, 08:32 AM
From what I can gather Vue are only taking 42 sites, the ones that were opened solely as Village sites are staying as they are. The easy way to find out is to count how many sites are on the Vue website.
I've been doing a bit of work with Warners over the past couple of months and have noticed that this new company are piling in a s**tload of cash to re-brand etc, good look to em, the new sites actually look quite good. Leicester has been finished and Star City is well on the way, the dark blue has been replaced by light blue!!

McBain
06-04-04, 01:23 PM
I've just popped into North Finchley (and picked up a couple of comps for Starsky & Hutch - nice one Mr Robello :) ) and omg does it look odd...

All the neon's are gone, all the lights are gone, the tele's are on there way apparently. It looks very bare... :? To me one of the things WV had over its competitors was that it looked different inside and had some atmosphere....now it's gone though, they don't wanna spend money maintaining atmosphere apparently :roll:

Also saw Jody (will he ever leave?) and some cleaner that looked so much like Suren I could hardly believe it :lol:

gob
06-04-04, 01:39 PM
Shame but never mind eh? :)

And also at N Finchley, Leslie is acting Chief Projectionist!!!!

Can you imagine the radio banter.

Smokey
06-04-04, 02:00 PM
Andy next time your'e up this way pop into Leicester, they've had the 're-furb' but have kept the teles, I think it looks quite good. If anyone's ever been to Star City and noticed the massive paintings/canvas' that are above concessions and up both sets of stairs, well they're being painted over cos of the Warner branding, absolute wounder cos these did look cool.

McBain_PDA
06-04-04, 03:59 PM
Funnily enough, I'm up Leicester way now...got a dentist appointment tomorrow :( Not sure I'll have time to check out the cinema though.