PDA

View Full Version : The Day After Tomorrow

gob
27-05-04, 04:18 PM
Just seen this. What a total load of hokey crap. The northern hemisphere is destroyed by a massive storm caused by global warming within 7 days.

No real big name actors - Dennis Quaid, Jake Gyllenhaal, Ian Holm - predicable script, fantastic special effects. 1st half destruction. 2nd half one mans quest to save his son with a bit of a love story thrown in for good measure. A happy Hollywood ending (except that Hollywood doesn't exist any more).

What more could you want from a popcorn movie. Loved every minute of it :D

Azreal
27-05-04, 10:29 PM
yeah you summed it up perfectly, apparently there are rumours that the director, had Uk wiped out 1st because the british public were so sceptical of that Gibson film the Patriot and the way the brits were portrayed in that film

gob
27-05-04, 10:52 PM
Maybe but why should he side with Gibson seeing as he is German??

Also I thought the Brits in the film were portrayed ok - after all it was them that discovered the worst bit. If anything all the yank politicians (with the exception of the hero) were portrayed as stubborn idiots who only changed when they were sitting in the snow in Mexico.

Anyhow I liked it and I have seen so much written about how it is a left wing commentary on the evils of fossil fuels. There is a message but some people are taking it a bit seriously and should all be forced to watch disaster movies like this on repeat until they understand that their main functions are to entertain and make shitloads of $$

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
27-05-04, 11:28 PM
yeah, like the towering inferno was a left wing commentary on umm tall buildings and deep impact was left wing commentary on err.. really big rocks... and independance day was etc. etc.

McBain
28-05-04, 07:47 AM
I have seen so much written about how it is a left wing commentary on the evils of fossil fuels.
I was looking at an advert on the tube last week, which I thought was for the film, then I realised the website it gave was www.stopesso.com...

http://www.stopesso.com/images/gp_tdat_webimage.jpg (http://www.thedayaftertomorrow.org/)

It seems maybe the people behind the whole stop Esso thing are just making the most of this opportunity to raise their causes profile.

wintermute
28-05-04, 12:33 PM
Maybe but why should he side with Gibson seeing as he is German??

Don't mention the war ;)

Rob

gob
28-05-04, 06:10 PM
I mentioned it once but I think I got away from it.

Oh hang on maybe this thread should be under Greatest British Sitcoms :wink:

McBain
22-06-04, 04:34 PM
Went to see this yesterday. I enjoyed it, worth a watch...

***DISCUSSION OF LATTER MOMENTS OF THE FILM - YOU MAY WANT TO AVERT YOUR EYES***

...but someone please explain why Quaid actually had to treck all that way to the library, getting his mate killed etc? Minutes later the place was crawling with helicopters anyway?

Did all the choppers only turn up because Quaid reported back there were lots of survivors? Surely there were still means of communication available? Wouldn't the ship of had some for a start?

gob
22-06-04, 09:18 PM
Glad you enjoyed it :)

The above happened because if it had been realistic it would never have been funded ;)

Smokey
23-06-04, 09:01 AM
I agree, it was enjoyable but there were some questions raised.
My main query is....
just how long would it take to walk from Washington to New york, in the snow?!

McBain
23-06-04, 10:09 AM
Well, they drove past Philly before they crashed the car... which I guess means they got to within maybe 100-120 miles of New York? That would mean about 30 hours walking wouldn't it (normal conditions) so maybe 3 days in the snow? I dunno.... I thought it a little odd that one myself.

The whole instant freezing, but not round the fire a little odd too, tbh.

Smokey
23-06-04, 12:53 PM
I would also like to know the average time it takes to burn a book against say a huge massive table. My money would be on the table lasting longer!