PDA

View Full Version : Friends

HUNTER
28-05-04, 01:30 PM
Anyone here watch friends?

final episode tonight at 9. Will anybody be watching?

Smokey
28-05-04, 01:39 PM
I'm at a wedding reception tonight, but i'm taping it for when I get in. I've already seen what happens though. TBH i'm not looking forward to it cos I've got a feeling I might ball my eyes out. I know McBain is a huge fan, and bases most of his dietry habits around Joey!!
Going to be strange come January and there won't be a new series, 'Joey' should be good though. fingers crossed.

Azreal
28-05-04, 02:32 PM
Id like to watch it but I will be working tonight, as far as im concerned they should have cancelled that programme a long time ago. ( hated it when Chandler and Joey stopped living together), the series Joey apparently got really good reviews, but I dont see it lasting more than 2 or 3 seasons ( or been as successfull as other spin-offs like Fraiser was to cheers)

Crippler2032
28-05-04, 04:23 PM
I think Joey has every chance of being successful, especially with the loss of ALOT of shows (Buffy, Angel, Friends etc...) less competition for it to go against anyways

wintermute
28-05-04, 07:50 PM
It's more likely something completely new will grab everyone's attention I think. Spin offs tend not to have the staying power of the shows they span off from (Frasier is maybe the main exception here? Perhaps Mork and Mindy?), and most of those shows are now flogged to death by the time you get the spin off anyway. I know Angel has never really been a patch on the first couple of seasons of Buffy (but then a lot of Buffy hasn't been a patch on the first two seasons - but perhaps that is a thread for another day ;) ), Friends sort of sucked after the first 4 seasons IMO, ER has survived by basically drafting in a new cast every couple of years so in a sense it's actually a spin off itself...

Rob

gob
28-05-04, 07:53 PM
Agree about Friends after season 4. How often can the same joke be funny? Just watched the very 1st episode on Ch4. Haven't watched it for ages and was surprised how much funnier I found it than any episode in the last 5 years. Even though the jokes were pretty much the same as they used for 9 years, they just seemed to be funnier and fresher.

wintermute
28-05-04, 09:06 PM
Well having just seen it I must say it was a good episode to go out on, extended to an hour to make room for all the sentimental gazing about :)

Rob

McBain
28-05-04, 09:47 PM
I know McBain is a huge fan, and bases most of his dietry habits around Joey!!
Joey is the king, but tbh, I lost a lot of interest when I guess, they realised how funny/popular they were? Does that make sense?

It's almost like the effort isn't as big, and yes I would agree there is only so much they can repeat the same jokes.

I have seasons 5 & 6 on DVD, most of the ones before on tape, but haven't really seen many of the ones after that. I will probably get the DVD's at somepoint and catch up on what I missed, but I'm in no major hurry tbh.

As I haven't seen the rest of the series, should I wait until I've seen it all before watching the final episode? (assuming it'll be repeated) Or can it be watched as a 'one off'?

wintermute
28-05-04, 10:12 PM
It was definitely a one off, there's nothing major you'll fail to understand if you seen up to Monica and Chandler getting together. Which is either on purpose because it was the last show or an indication that nothing much important has actually happened since series 4...

Rob

McBain
01-06-04, 09:10 AM
I see Amazon (www.amazon.co.uk) are having a bit of a sale on DVDs and such, and they have Friends Box Sets for

Ally82
01-06-04, 10:29 AM
I tend to agree it was better towards the beginnng too, like most people, and it seems that all the viewer votes put season 2 as the top, it having 5 of the top 10 voted ep's I believe.

It follows a trend I guess, where in season 2, all the characters have developed, character humour has more grounding, and it seemed more off the cuff than the other series. I can't be spec. about any ep's but I think it's a safe bet that season 2 of most programmes is the best ,if not one of.

has anyone else migrated at all to the british version, 'Coupling', currently on series 4. - I think it lacks a bit of the humour of series 2&3 but nevertheless, is funny all the same.

Smokey
01-06-04, 11:02 AM
The latter series DVD's are double sided, the one side has the normal episodes and the other has director's cuts with about 2 secs of extra stuff.