PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the .... oh sod it - The Third One - Review

gob
14-06-04, 06:42 PM
Well now what to say about this.

They are growing up. The film franchise is growing up. Much darker, some really nice little touches such as the Whomping Willow taking out revenge on passing birds.

This film had a much better feel and flow to it that the last 2, which is to be expected with a proper director in the chair (Alfonso Cuaron).

Some nice little cameos from Dawn French and Emma Thompson. Better acting from the 3 leads. Some hints that Ron and Hermione are gonna get it on at some point.

Not enoughof the brilliant Gary Oldman or Alan Rickman as Sirius Black and Severus Snape and a great performance by David Thewlis as Professor Lupin. Some main characters were almost totally absent (Dumbledore, Hagrid, McGonnegal, Draco Malfoy) which was a shame but to be expected with a (thankfully) reduced running time of 2h 20.

IMHO this was the best of the books and is certainly the best of the films thus far. Hogwarts geography seems to have totally changed and now looks much closer to what I imagined e.g. darker and more gothic.

I am so glad that Chris Columbus didn't direct this one. He was far too cutesy for my liking.

There was a lot of detail left out but that's what DVD's are for :)

Overall a good adaptation and worth a look if you liked the books.

8/10

Azreal
14-06-04, 08:54 PM
I also kind of enjoyed it, I think it was a huge step up from the second one, and daniel Radcliff is at least trying to act this time, there is a lot on the trailer that wasnt on the film. I agree with Gob and give it an 8/10

Smokey
15-06-04, 08:21 AM
I'm sick of the sight of the little bastard, the sooner he grows up and graduates the better.

gob
15-06-04, 08:41 PM
LOL Smokey - he will probably grow up before you :)

Smokey
16-06-04, 08:11 AM
No doubt, at least my voice has broken and I'm man enough to keep my wand to myself!!!

gob
16-06-04, 11:35 AM
and I'm man enough to keep my wand to myself!!!

Exactly :)

wintermute
25-07-04, 02:09 AM
I finally saw this on Friday night and wasn't too impressed. I felt like they rushed through the 80% of the book to get to the climax, which is fair enough if you're trying to fit it into a few hours I suppose, but they kept adding bits in that weren't in the book and ignoring large parts of the story. The patronus was a big disappointment too. Where did all these shrunken heads come from? Who put a giant pendulum in the middle of Hogwarts? And what were all those Dementors on? Flying about like overgrown bats...

I'd give it 5/10.

Rob

SpyHunterUK
25-07-04, 10:25 AM
100's or mistakes in it, Thank God we got the british director mike newell for the 4th film :)