PDA

View Full Version : Legal Action Against Cheats

McBain
25-06-04, 08:58 AM
Valve will apparently be taking legal action against cheats, cheat-sites and cheat programmers. See here (http://www.hl2fallout.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=238).

OGC are now asking people to donate to help raise money for legal (http://www.ogc-cheats.de/) aid :roll: Unfortunatly some people (http://www.ogc-cheats.de/donated.htm) are actually sending them money :evil: Not really enough for decent representation, but still, kinda worry I think that people want cheats bad enough they will donate 250 Euro's!

wintermute
25-06-04, 11:40 AM
Hmm, it's an interesting one, I wonder what legal grounds they actually have to stop people cheating unless people are physically modifying files? In one sense if you've bought the game why shouldn't you be allowed to do what you want with it (even if you want to do something pointless like cheating)? In many ways I prefer the approach Civilisation took, where many people produced lots of cheats, they simply rolled all the cheats into the next version and provided a little menu to turn them on and off. This means that cheating is so easy it's not really worth bothering going to the effort of getting hacks to do it, which also means the game can be aware of what cheats are enabled, which would then allow servers to be configured to allow certain types of cheating or none at all.

Rob

McBain
25-06-04, 11:45 AM
But then surely people would just make new cheats that aren't detected by the server...and we're back to square one. :(

wintermute
25-06-04, 12:06 PM
Yeah, they could, but if they can cheat without doing a load of fannying around than there's less incentive to. It's the same sort of thinking as the illegal MP3 music download market - if people could acquire MP3s more easily legally then they'd not bother so much with getting them illegally, and iTunes sold 450,000 singles in the first week in the UK :)

It's true it might not work in stopping illegal cheating, but then it's not working now either.

Rob

McBain
25-06-04, 12:10 PM
But downloading MP3s illegally can get you in some pretty hot water, given a legal way to do so is different to being able to play on a CS server where everyone can cheat or being the only person cheating on a server that supposedly doesn't allow you to do so, IMHO.

Gamith
25-06-04, 05:52 PM
Maybe if they cheaters stop cheating we might see that we're not that bad after all :-)

Of course there are differences between a cheat, a bug and a backdoor that someone finds, though of course to the newbie any of them stop the game being fair and about skill.

TTFN

IXL
29-06-04, 08:43 AM
I blame the programmers for making the games so open to hax and modifications in some respects.

IMO, Id steer clear of the lower public servers anyway. We tend to know the people we play against on the CGA and COFR servers so its not too common to see cheaters. Its the only way forward in my book. If they make it to our servers, its not long before we pick em off and ban em. (Mainly done by warnings from other Clans / Communities about such players)

:)

wintermute
29-06-04, 11:32 AM
I blame the programmers for making the games so open to hax and modifications in some respects.

Which is one of the motivations for my point :) If the game is open anyway, make it a 'feature' rather than an opening...

And also, they have to make it possible to 'cheat' in some senses (on single player games at least) because it has to be possible for the testers to play the game right through to the end. This is why old fashioned shoot em ups always had key combinations for unlimted lives etc.

Rob

wintermute
05-07-04, 11:02 PM
Do you think they'll prosecute this guy first:

Slash forums Forum Index -> Braggarts (http://sweb.uky.edu/~khkwan0/slash/viewtopic.php?p=3239#3239)

It's funny that he's sitting there boasting about his score and yet has posted a screenshot which proves he's using a hack...

Rob

McBain
06-07-04, 06:10 PM
:lol: What a disptick. Like they say, he's the worst hacker ever, still only managing 2:1 K : D ratio :rofl: