PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 Ready For Release

McBain
30-07-04, 05:51 AM
Yes it's true, Half Life 2 is ready for its mid September releases!

http://microgames.cz/images/krabice/29.jpg

The game is ready to be sent for final mastering and duplication according to Half Life source (http://www.halflifesource.com/), a claim that is backed up by Special Reserve (http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/n_3167-news.html?af=ur290704).

So, the wait is almost over... lets hope its as good as everyone thinks it will be....

Sc00by
05-08-04, 05:33 PM
I know everyone is getting excited about this, but I've thought about it some and, well...

Was Half Life actually that steller I think I played the single player for about a fortnight... Possibly much less. Where it rocked was in the mods that were written for it (whether you are a DoD, CS or whatever fan) Surely what we all want to be getting excited about is the news that these classics are going to be ported to ue the HL2 engine? Possibly not the game it's self, though I guess that the release of the game means that - possibly - these ports are nearer happening? Maybe I've missed the point somewhat? But I really can't excited about another 1 player 'pretty boy' FPS...

Mincemeat
05-08-04, 05:39 PM
i disagree with you scoobs. HL 1 rocked when it came out, and it still rocks...Maybe the engine has got old, but the gameplay is still a classic...

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
05-08-04, 05:39 PM
what he said

McBain
05-08-04, 05:46 PM
I never really played HL, cause I didn't know it existed until I started playing CS v1.0. Even then, I played for maybe 40 minutes, got bored because I was stuck somewhere...

Of course I'll be giving HL2 a go, as I'll be getting it free with the voucher I got with my 9800XT (anyone chacked how these work btw?)

I think I agree with Sc00bs though. I'm more looking forward to the new CS and possibly other mods more than actual HL2 single player.

Sc00by
05-08-04, 05:57 PM
i disagree with you scoobs. HL 1 rocked when it came out, and it still rocks...Maybe the engine has got old, but the gameplay is still a classic...

In what way was the gameplay different to DOOM, or Quake or any other single player FPS? Nasties spawn - you shoot them, they die in some nice gore splattered way you move on... HL2, to my mind at least, will be more of the same, just with prettier gore!

No?

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
05-08-04, 06:03 PM
Yes, but a Ferrari is just like a Skoda going by that kind of an argument. It's got four wheels, an engine and glass windows. :) Half-Life was an excellent FPS: story, pacing, scripting and (for the time) freedom of movement were all class. OTOH if you don't like single-player FPSs then I guess that's fair enough. I'm generally not a big fan, or at least I used to think I wasn't. TBH I didn't really like Doom, Quake or any FPS. Even now the only ones I really remember enjoying playing were Outlaws, NOLF and Half-Life.

Sc00by
05-08-04, 06:08 PM
ButI loved DOOM and DOOMII, trouble is that Quake, Half life, etc are the same, they just get prettier...

Not sure that the car anology works tbh. Maybe on a very basic level, but if you call DOOM a skoda then rather than HL2 being a Maclaren F1, it's more a Skoda with Dubs, a kick ass stereo, go faster stripes, under chassis lighting, twin chrome exhausts and blacked out windows. Sure it probably looks cool, but it's still a skoda...

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
05-08-04, 06:13 PM
I'd have to disagree with you there :)

McBain
05-08-04, 06:17 PM
About the analagy, or that the Skoda would look cool with go faster stripes, under chassis lighting, twin chrome exhausts and blacked out windows?

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
05-08-04, 06:50 PM
The analogy :) Skodas these days aren't too bad. :D

SpyHunterUK
05-08-04, 08:18 PM
I'm sure most of you have CS:CZ, and youve probably checked the previews clips on there for HL2, they look great, gives you huge options, iirc, one was on a building site, while you were up in a window, there were 5/6 nasties on the street below, you could go in guns blazing, but you could knock down this crane type thing, kill 3 of them, blow up some barrels kill the rest of them. (i know other games have this kind of thing, it just seems better on the HL engine :P)
From that pov it looks to have great gameplay, great graphics, etc, so im looking forward to it. :D

Dusted
05-08-04, 08:55 PM
Of course I'll be giving HL2 a go, as I'll be getting it free with the voucher I got with my 9800XT (anyone chacked how these work btw?)

You have to log onto the website address given on the side of the voucher and send it along with a copy of the reciept for the card and also the serial number (or a cut out from the vards box of the serial number)....

I have a voucher but no box.......and no receipt...

McBain
05-08-04, 09:32 PM
Yeah, same here, although I could probably get a receipt, if I can remember where I bought it from...

So, the offer doesn't apply if you got it in a plain brown box then? :? Mind you, I see you have to pay all postage... I wonder if it is easier to just buy it from [url=http://www.play247.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=PC&title=119757]Play for

Dusted
05-08-04, 09:39 PM
May as well - it also says it will take a few weeks to get here! But then do you apply now or when it comes out??

Anyhoo - am gonna buy it retail and see what extras you can get via Steam too....

McBain
05-08-04, 10:25 PM
No, once released you wait 6 weeks or somet... and I wonder if thats just the US?

Skavorn
16-09-04, 11:40 PM
Erm, well according to www.play.com where I preordered the release date is 5th November (bonfire night).

So we can all celebrate the release with soem gd ol' fireworks ;)

HUNTER
17-09-04, 10:59 AM
a Release Client was sent on the 15th to Vivendi. So it could be going gold soonish ready for November.

McBain
30-09-04, 09:27 AM
Apparently the different packages of HL2 will be -
[quote:7abab3c13c]Retail Boxes

Standard Edition