PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Franchises

briktopp
16-09-04, 01:34 PM
I checked to see if there was a previous topic on this and didnt find one.

Watching the third Indie film last night made me think about how many other franchises have consistently delivered on every occasion as i think the indie films did.

Alien - well the fourth one was a drop in standard
Jaws - the fourth one wasnt just a drop in standard but a crime against the film-making world.

what do folks think?

McBain
16-09-04, 02:20 PM
You can't beat the Back To The Future series of films. Each one top notch :thumbs:

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
16-09-04, 02:21 PM
Batman - quality dropped for #3 then dived off a cliff for #4
Superman - not seen #4 but #3 wasn't as good as the first two
Star Wars - ROTJ not up to the first two and TPM not up to much at all (not seen AoTC)

I agree with you about Alien, not seen the Jaws sequels so can comment on that.

I guess the short answer is: not very many have, in fact if you're lucky enough to get two good films then don't get too excited about the third :roll:

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
16-09-04, 02:24 PM
Back to the Future films - 8) But I'd have to disagree a little bit with you there McBain, I thought the second one wasn't quite up to the mark of the other two (a bit like Indiana Jones in fact).

LoTR I guess doesn't count as a franchise does it?

What about Terminator?

Azreal
16-09-04, 03:10 PM
well having recently gotten hold on the new star wars trillogy dvds im ganna have to go with them (buts thats cause im a geek), I think that the worst film-franchise is James camerons terminator ,as the third one was a huge flop compared to the 1st two and should have been left alone . im suprised non of you ppl have mentioned the matrix yet. personally only the 1st one did it for me , I wasnt to keen on the last 2,oh yeah before I forget does the police acadamy series count as a film-franshise ? :D

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
16-09-04, 04:05 PM
Does the Police Academy series count as film?

And though I thought that Matrix:Reloaded was mostly pretty good, most of Revolutions was poor.

McBain
16-09-04, 04:18 PM
I never watch Rocky V, but I understand it stopped that series being considered any good :( (I still have the box set though... maybe I should try V at somepoint)

Hows about Lethal Weapon? I think we've discussed it somewhere else before, but that's a great series, through and through.

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
16-09-04, 04:21 PM
Are there any examples of a franchise generally being good despite the first film being rubbish? I'm thinking probably not...

Azreal
16-09-04, 05:08 PM
I think that the only time Indiana jones failed was when they re packaged it for tv in Young Indiana Jones Chronicles with Sean Patrick Flanery hopefully George Lucas wont ruin the script with the latest Indiana Jones film like he did star wars, the way he writes dialoge makes me cringe.

There have been 2 many Rocky films to remember (I did remember and liked the one with Dolph Lungroen as the Russian boxer, he kicked the snot of rocky). I was more of Sylvester Stallone fan of Rambo than old Rocky.

Lethal Weapon was class it had everything you could wish for action , comedy, drama, suspense, tear jerking scenes ,Mel Gibson for the ladies , and Patsy Kensit and Rene Russo for the guys .

gob
16-09-04, 06:53 PM
Evil Dead Franchise:

Evil Dead - probably the best example of low budget shock horror ever - Join Us!!
Evil Dead 2 - a comedy horror with loads of laughs and loads of shocks - Watch out for flying eyes!!
Evil Dead 3 - Army of Darkness - Totally different from the 1st two as our hero is transplanted to the middle ages to battle the Deadites - Groovy!!

Sam Raimi = God
Bruce Campbell = the most hammy over-acting actor ever - he rules
Bring on Bubba Ho-Tep!!!

Smokey
17-09-04, 09:16 AM
Here are my thoughts, you lucky lot:
Evil Dead- Absolute genius, great franchise
Lethal Weapon- The same
Indy- Ok but I thought they were all similar
Alien- 3 gets better with age, 4 was poor
Star wars- Awesome
Spiderman- Definate potential
Batman- Should have stopped at 3, teh new one looks like a lifeline
Bev Hills Cop- First 2 good, 3rd not so
Matrix- 1st one was good, I think it got up it's own arse a bit after that.
Nightmare on Elm Street- Good Franchise that's still going strong with the announcement of Freddy Vs Jason Vs (wait for it.....) Ash! Down Gob!
Terminator- Brilliant, the first one is the stand out film though.
Rocky- Awesome, even 5 was good in a cheesey way.

One important has been forgotten by all though.... The Godfather.

McBain
17-09-04, 09:37 AM
Hows about Die Hard. The first is a classic, the second not quite so good, but still a great film and if I recall the third was a bit different to the first two but still another great film.

[OLSC]Fizban
17-09-04, 10:06 AM
LtTomWoolley]Are there any examples of a franchise generally being good despite the first film being rubbish? I'm thinking probably not... Star Trek? They tried to be differnet with the first one and it didn't work to well. The general rule of thumb for Trek films seam to be odd numbers aren't as good as the even numbered ones.

Fiz

Smokey
17-09-04, 10:42 AM
Die hard, good one. This reminds me of the debates we used to have at work about naming an actor who has not appeared in a crap film.

Azreal
17-09-04, 11:24 AM
hmm? name an actor who hasnt apeared in a shite film , I feel a new thread coming up :D

Smokey
17-09-04, 11:36 AM
Allow me...

gob
17-09-04, 10:13 PM
OMG Freddy vs Jason rocked but imagine Ash in there too kicking some serious bad guy ass. He would get bloodied, beaten up and generally have a real crappy time, but he would do it all in a cool way and lets face it, if anyone can stop Freddy and Jason, its Ash

Groovy!!!

Also a minor and totally as yet unsubstantiated rumour about FvsJvsA that Sam Raimi might get involved in a producer role - cue loads of cameras running through woods and maybe even a couple of deadites?? :)

Azreal
18-09-04, 12:04 AM
I remember I got a A in one of my projects thanks to the evil dead film, we had to make a music video , and I chose a scene from evil dead ( the scene when ash is in the cabin in the woods ) and played it to the tune of Aerosmiths song living on the edge , so im forever greatful to sam raimi

speaking of Sam Raimi I loved his tv series American Gothic , I used to get into such trouble staying up late during school hours just to see that