PDA

View Full Version : HL2 for purchase, CS:Source now available

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
07-10-04, 06:47 PM
via Steam, naturally...

Skavorn
07-10-04, 07:21 PM
god damnit...I purchased my copy of Half Life 2 via www.play.com...si i'll have to wait for CS: Source :(

Crippler2032
08-10-04, 11:28 AM
i'm gonna be waiting too. Id rather have a 'real' game soto speak, never really been a fan of these download and pay games

[OLSC]Hitman
08-10-04, 12:31 PM
Trouble is, the "real" game is only HL2 and CS:S you don't qualify for extras in the Steam package.

See here (http://www.olsc.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=647) for details.

I was skeptical about purchasing online through Steam, after all it's not the most stable piece of software. But I took the plunge, after waiting for Woolley and Hamster to do it first, and it all went very smoothly.

McBain
13-10-04, 08:02 AM
If you already own CS:CZ (why would you want that if your getting CS:S anyway?) then buying HL2 from play will give you all you want, right? ie. I want CS:S (and I guess DoD:S :side: :roll: ). Will I get these if I buy HL2 from the shops?

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
13-10-04, 08:19 AM
I think CS:S comes with every HL2 package. At the moment it looks as though DoD doesn't :(

From what we've seen so far regarding pricing (http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=51763) it looks as though the Steam Bronze Edition is effectively the same as the default retail box. If you buy it through Steam it'll cost somewhere around

Sir Kunmskull
13-10-04, 01:53 PM
ok im confused :roll: now sorry i havent been keeping up with cs due to lack of connection ect can some one just check if i have this right

HL2 is not released yet except via steam and depending on which package you go for you get cs any way but the more you pay the more extra's you get.

HL2 is released on the 1st nov and comes with cs but no option for the other extras.

the bit i am confused about is cs:cz what has this to do with hl2 i am guessing nothing and its a compleatly different product.

am i even close or am i way off base here????????

McBain
13-10-04, 02:11 PM
I think you have it. CS:CZ is a different version of CS... I guess they've just thrown it in to make the packages look better...

I'm guessing when you buy HL2 retail, you still have to run source through Steam? It would be great if they released downloadable patches so you didn't have to steam them down... would be easier for LANs definitely.

[OLSC]Hitman
13-10-04, 02:31 PM
The HL2 Boxed Retail version is due for release in November and includes:

HL2
CS:Source

This is the equivalent of HL2 Bronze Package which can be purchased now through Steam. If purchased through Steam CS:Source is playable now HL2 will be playable when it goes gold, otherwise you'll have to wait for it to appear in the shops.

Neither the Boxed Retail version or the Steam Bronze Package entitle you to any other Valve products.

The Steam Silver and Gold Packages however include:

HL2
CS:Source
DoD:Source
HL:Source
And all prior Valve game releases inc CS:CZ

This is currently the only way to get DoD:Source and HL:Source (the original game ported to the new graphics engine).

Whether you buy the Retail Boxed version or one of the Steam packages, you will still receive updates through Steam.
Hope that helps!

[OLSC]Slaine
19-10-04, 10:18 AM
Took the plunge as well and bought the Silver version last night.

No problems, though I do like to have a physical CD.

Gamith
06-02-05, 01:44 PM
Someone on ebay is selling HL2 Silver for

McBain
06-02-05, 02:08 PM
I've bought two of them now, for

Gamith
06-02-05, 03:06 PM
Cheers for that little bit of good news Andy - the guys' got a good rep but you can never be sure.

I won't know until later tonight though, since the guy will be away from his computer for most of the weekend.

Still, looking forward to a proper play once I get the code - only done the HL2 demo so far...

TTFN

Update.
Seems to work fine - though I note that VAC2 is supposed to be available/happening soon, so I guess we'll find out how 'real' these accounts are.

Gamith
01-03-05, 07:20 PM
I have just tried using my steam account today and it is disabled - looks as though mine isn't as legal after all :-(

Has anyone else got this problem?

TTFN

McBain
01-03-05, 07:44 PM
Yep, my spare account has gone too. I thought it may well do. I've kept my vote so I can throw a negative in cause I think he's still selling them.

Takes the total of eBay losses up over

Gamith
01-03-05, 07:53 PM
Yeah - only

McBain
01-03-05, 08:02 PM
Yes, I just gave the second red feedback.

Might I suggest you don't contact him and in the process tip him of that his scam has come to an end. You see he has made his feedback private? If it was a genuine mistake do you think he would do that?

If enough people report it to paypal early enough, they might freeze his Paypal account and we might get some cash back. If people e-mail him first, he pulls all cash from Paypal and removes his bank details... then Paypal freeze his account... too late :(

He must have made loads though, 300+ feedback, at over a tenner a time. I see he has a Napster account at

Gamith
01-03-05, 08:10 PM
Good plan, though a little late - I have sent a polite email so far asking if there is an explanation.

I can't help but wonder that the price is low to make getting the money back pointless (

McBain
01-03-05, 08:42 PM
Its a

Sc00by
01-03-05, 10:19 PM
IIRC you did say that you thought it was too good to be true. Sometimes it's worth listening to that little voice...

Still, I never like to see anyone ripped off. I hope that you can cause the conman at least some aggro! :thumbs:

briktopp
01-03-05, 10:36 PM
yup me too - whats this swindler's name again

McBain
01-03-05, 11:06 PM
Well, the name on the Paypal account is Vicky Riley in Rochdale - paypal@bumhug.co.uk. The eBay account is licensed under the same name with the contact number 01706342435

The person that e-mailed me was apparently was called Mark Andrews - mark@bumhug.co.uk

Sc00by
02-03-05, 12:43 AM
whois look up:

Domain Name:
bumhug.co.uk

Registrant:
Mark Andrews and Vicky Riley

Registrant's Address:

THE REGISTRANT IS AN INDIVIDUAL WHO HAS ELECTED TO
HAVE THEIR ADDRESS OMITTED FROM THE WHOIS DATABASE

Registrant's Agent:
Pipex Communications Hosting Ltd [Tag = HOSTEUROPE]
URL: http://www.123-reg.co.uk

Relevant Dates:
Registered on: 29-Dec-2003
Renewal Date: 29-Dec-2005
Last updated: 23-Mar-2004

Registration Status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers listed in order:
ns.hosteurope.com 212.67.202.2
ns2.hosteurope.com 212.67.203.246

WHOIS database last updated at 00:40:01 02-Mar-2005

--
(c) Nominet UK 1996 - 2005

For further information and terms of use please see http://www.nic.uk/whois
Nominet reserves the right to withhold access to this service at any time.

Gamith
02-03-05, 06:20 AM
From Steam in response to my query:
-------------------------------------------------
Hello,

The Steam Account you purchased was originally opened with a credit card that the cardholder has reported as a fraudulent transaction. The Steam Subscriber Agreement does not allow the sale or transfer of Steam Accounts partly for this reason. You will have to contact the seller and / or EBay to seek a refund.
-------------------------------------------------

So that's whats happening

Now off to complain to ebay I think - not that I expect much to be done.

TTFN

Gamith
02-03-05, 06:33 AM
Same people as me then - though the address is:
vickyandmark@bumhug.co.uk

Still gives the same whois details.

TTFN

McBain
02-03-05, 09:00 AM
Yeah, I've seen that e-mail addy too.

123-reg is one of those ultra cheap hosting websites too. They could have bought the e-mail addresses for next to nothing (there is no www.bumhug.co.uk), probably paid for with their stolen credit card too.

It all fits together nicely to show as these two people, so I'm guessing it isn't them at all... :? Having said that, I see the domain was registered over a year ago... I wonder if they've had previous accounts on eBay doing similar things?

Anyone try ringing the phone number I posted?

briktopp
02-03-05, 11:49 AM
i rang the number asking for an address to send a cheque to mark andrews or vickey riley and the lady said straight away that she didnt know them and that her number had been used on ebay as part of a scam.

no surprises i suppose

i was thinking of putting in another call not mentioning the above names and just trying to get an address

McBain
02-03-05, 12:08 PM
V Riley in Rochdale gives -

(01706) 647225

4, Betony Clo
Rochdale
OL12 6XJ

The number I gave is apparently 208 Health & Fitness club (http://www.locallife.co.uk/rochdale/healthandfitness3.asp), so I think it is unlikely to be attached to the person that did this.

I would imagine the two names we have are the not anything to do with who ever did this.

McBain
10-03-05, 06:17 PM
Having said that, Fizban shows us this link (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/10/zen_police/) in a different thread.

It's understood that the suspect bought accounts for an online gaming service using stolen credit card details before reselling the gaming packages on eBay.

A police spokeswoman told us: "A 23-year-old man from Rochdale was arrested on Tuesday 8 March 2005 on suspicion of employee fraud after police in Rochdale received allegations that an employee of a company in Rochdale had allegedly been using credit card details fraudulently. The man has been bailed until 27 May 2005 pending further enquiries."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gamith
10-03-05, 07:06 PM
Yes!! hopefully a proper result.

TTFN

McBain
12-03-05, 10:00 AM
Well I've got my money back...

We have concluded our investigation of your Buyer Complaint. The details of this claim are listed below.

We have decided in your favour, and as a result, have attempted to recover funds from the seller.
The maximum amount we were able to recover was 10.99 GBP. This amount has been credited to your PayPal account.

:thumbs:

Gamith
12-03-05, 03:49 PM
Nice one - now should I do the same I wonder, I seem to remember that you get three goes a year to do this via PayPal though I might have been confused with Ebay.

Did you claim through PayPal or Ebay?

TTFN

McBain
12-03-05, 05:29 PM
I claimed through Paypal, but you have to give all eBay details too. I'm suprised you haven't already claimed tbh.

Yes, I think you get 3 a year, of which I have now used 2... but those are the only 2 I have ever had to use in 4 years of trading, so I feel confident I wont need to make 2 more in the next 4 months :)

Gamith
12-03-05, 08:08 PM
> I'm suprised you haven't already claimed tbh.
I was waiting to see how you got on :-)

This is the first time I have had a problem with an ebayer in over 4 years (when I joined) so hopefully it'll be a while until it happens again.

TTFN

McBain
14-03-05, 01:42 PM
I see that the German Consumer Association has decided the Half Life 2 packaging is misleading, only mentioning in 'other' requirements that you need an internet connection to play the game.

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/08/150251&from=rss

Apparently they will need to change the packaging, withdraw it from sale or be fined heavily for it.

McBain
24-03-05, 09:27 AM
Anyone still looking to get hold of HL2 and CS:S, there seem to be quite a few legitimate auctions of it on eBay (http://search.ebay.co.uk/half-life_PC-Games_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQcatrefZC3QQfrppZ5 0QQfcclZ1QQfromZR10QQfclZ3QQsacatZ11046QQcatrefZC6 QQa14Z-24QQa15964Z-24QQa15965Z-10QQa10244Z-24QQgcsZ1135QQpfidZ1632QQreqtypeZ1QQpfmodeZ1QQalis tZa14Q2Ca15964Q2Ca15965Q2Ca10244Q2Ca3801QQpf_query ZhalfQ20lifeQQfltZ9QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsadisZ200QQfp osZN32DEQQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1QQcoactionZcompareQQcopage numZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch).

I'm trying to get a couple for less than