PDA

View Full Version : Greatest UK Musical Act of the 1990's

Skavorn
16-10-04, 01:33 AM
Taken from the Channel 4 (www.channel4.com) website...

Personally I like Red Hot Chilli's, Dr. Dre, Blur, Oasis, Radiohead and Nirvana and out of them I voted Red Hot Chilli Peppers basically becuase I have atleast 4 or 5 classic songs of them which I couldn't do without...

I expect Dr. Dre, Nirvana, Red Hot Chilli's, Spice Girl's or Robbie Williams

I thought I'd post the poll as it's a really tough one and it would be interesting to see what you guys think are the best[/url]

Azreal
16-10-04, 03:03 AM
my guess it would go to Oasis as they really domintated the charts during the 90s and were ''the nxt best thing since the beatles'' . but personally Id like it to be Radiohead. just a quick Q um how the hell does Dr Dre and RHCP and Nirvana fit into ''best uk musical act''? shouldnt it be for bands that are only from the uk.

McBain
16-10-04, 06:17 AM
What year did Kurt Cobane kill himself? He can't have lived that far through the 90's can he? I'm guessing it was '94 as I seem to recall passing a 10 year mark not long ago.

Az has a valid point, but if we just try and pick from their who we think were the greatest (not the same as our favourites) I wouldn't be suprised if the Spice Girls outsold the others... :roll: Whether that makes them the greatest is a different matter I guess.

Azreal
16-10-04, 06:35 AM
Kurt Cobain died at the age of 27 on the 5th April 94, just see that he shouldnt really be inclueded in that list as Id would think you'd have to live through most of the 90s, according to channel 4 . it says that their highest single in the chart was a no 5 , and that they had only 2 no 1 albums im guesing it was Nevermind an Unplugged, which both did mega well after his death.

McBain
16-10-04, 06:38 AM
Well, to be fair, I think Nevermind did pretty well while he was still alive. I'm not really into that type of music scene, but even I bought that one. It seemed rather unique or 'special' at the time. It was almost like Dire Straights - 'Brothers In Arms'. Everyone seemed to own a copy of it at school.

Azreal
16-10-04, 06:52 AM
Actually I meant that Unplugged did well after his death as it was his latest realease that came out the yr he died I think it came out in nov 94 , obvously his death helped sales of his cds , as they trippled in sales after his death, So im just wondering if he hadnt died would he be as successfull as he was in the states over here in the uk.?

Sc00by
16-10-04, 07:37 AM
Oh dear the 90's didnt' really spawn any good bands did they? :/

Think I'd vote for Robbie, cos he almost deserves to join the list on right hand side (Beatles, Madonna, Marley, Presley, U2) where as the rest...?!! Oh dear. Even the RHCP have produced enough crap to be discounted IMHO. And Nivana!?? :lol: Always thought they were overrated and my opinion didnt' change when Cobain switched to the buckshot diet...

Azreal
16-10-04, 07:52 AM
lol @buckshot diet , um Id think Robbie Williams has to be internationally famous before he can join those on the list (beatles ,Madonna,Bob,Elvis and U2)

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
16-10-04, 08:29 AM
nirvana - no contest

Azreal
16-10-04, 08:41 AM
That list just seems like its been done by an 18yr old (no offense to the younglings on this forum :) ), I mean how the hell can Miisy Elliot (who reminds me of a chipmunk) be on that list and not a band like The Manic Street Preachers or Inxs or R.E.M for that matter

SpyHunterUK
16-10-04, 10:24 AM
RHCP-No contest :P

Azreal
16-10-04, 10:39 AM
I find it odd that so far nobody has put in a vote for Oasis, Blur, Prodidgy and Robbie Williams :lol:

Skavorn
18-10-04, 11:16 PM
I think the funny thing is nearly all of them are great contenders in their own way but why the heck is missy elliott there :S

Smokey
19-10-04, 10:21 AM
Robbie williams is an arse!

One act i find interesting to be missing off the list is Take That, surely they dominated the charts more than anyone during that period, they certainly had more number ones.

Azreal
19-10-04, 10:51 AM
I think certain people are getting confussed between their own personal taste and what really was the most dominant band of the 90s in the uk, and I know that rhcp, or Dr Dre or Missy Eliot shouldnt even be concidered, and I agree with Smokey Robbie William is a jack ass and is nothing without his former song writer (whom I cant remeber the name of) and no matter how hard he tries he will never make it big in the usa.

Sc00by
19-10-04, 11:46 AM
Oh - in the end I voted for the chilli peppers, but tbh only cos they are 'less bad' than the other options available.

Smokey
19-10-04, 11:55 AM
I'm agreeing with Az , I voted for for oasis because of what they actually acheived during the 90's.
Are people voting for RHCP because they are good now? I only remember 2 good singles released during the 90's by them and there was another with Beavis and butthead in the video. Oasis definately had more dominance in the charts (Take that had more though!!! oh how i miss them!)

Azreal
19-10-04, 12:16 PM
Basically all of those band had reached their potential during that period (except Missy Eliot , and Dr Dre), rhcp are only reaching their potential now , so if there was a poll about greatest bands for the naughtees to join the hall of fame then I might concider them, but there aint. The only songs I can rember for the chillies from the 90s was Love Rollercoaster from the Beavis and Buthead soundtrack , and Under the Bridge (which the All Saints shredded apart)

Sc00by
19-10-04, 12:49 PM
Tbh the nineties sucked musically... Oasis only actually released 3 good songs too, Blur probably produced more good stuff, but the gutarist and lead singer didn't keep having very public arguements, which probably counts against them

The RHCP produced a number of albums of varying quality through the nineties and are as valid as any of the suggestions made IMHO. Yes they have probably done their best stuff post 2000, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't some good stuff before then.

If I had a free vote for the 90's I'd have voted for Faith no More, who were about the only 'original' band (that had any chart success) the decaade produced. And even then most people have only actually heard of them thanks to the cover of Easy (like Sunday morning)

If you are going to throw Take That into the ring, what about Bros, the backstreet boys, Westlife (more 2000s though I guess). Maybe we should just all vote for the Spice Girls? As I seriously doubt any one sold more records than they did...

Azreal
19-10-04, 01:20 PM
Dude I didnt know you listened to Faith no More :D , they had to be one of my fav influential bands of all time as far as im concerned The Real Thing was one of the best Albums that time. (if you noticed madden 2005 have the song From out of nowhere on the soundtrack.

Sc00by
19-10-04, 01:31 PM
Can you feel it, see it, hear it today?
If you can't, then it doesn't matter anyway
You will never understand it cuz it happens too fast
And it feels so good, it's like walking on glass
It's so cool, it's so hip, it's alright
It's so groovy, it's outta sight
You can touch it, smell it, taste it so sweet
But it makes no difference cuz it knocks you off your feet

SING!!!

You want it all but you can't have it...

It's IT! WHAT IS IT?!!

Screw Oasis :lol: me off to mosh round the office :rock:

Azreal
19-10-04, 01:53 PM
Can you feel it, see it, hear it today?
If you can't, then it doesn't matter anyway
You will never understand it cuz it happens too fast
And it feels so good, it's like walking on glass
It's so cool, it's so hip, it's alright
It's so groovy, it's outta sight
You can touch it, smell it, taste it so sweet
But it makes no difference cuz it knocks you off your feet

SING!!!

You want it all but you can't have it...

It's IT! WHAT IS IT?!!

Screw Oasis :lol: me off to mosh round the office :rock: You gotta love Epic :wink:

Sc00by
19-10-04, 02:58 PM
Thought just occured: Why aren't the Manic Street Preachers in this list?

:shock:

Not only are they a UK band, they are also a damnsight better than pretty much all the bands/artists mentioned.

Azreal
19-10-04, 06:09 PM
Thats what I asked in the 1st pg of this thread scoobs , ''A design for life ''and ''everything must go'' are one of my fav songs of all time