PDA

View Full Version : New Poll for 80s band/artist to enter the uk hall of fame

Azreal
19-10-04, 11:31 AM
A new pole is up online on the channel 4 site, except this time time you have to vote for what you think was the best band/artist of the 80s (I know that some of you were to young to remember). As much as I loved R.E.M and GnR Im going to have to say that this surely has to go to Micheal Jackson, I personally like to know why isnt Metallica on that list , its an outrage

Sc00by
19-10-04, 11:39 AM
As it's personal taste, i.e. who do you think was the best, I've gone for Springsteen. GnR were good, but 1 decent album does not a career make and I've never really liked MJ. No one else appeals and the Boss certianly produced some damn good stuff way back then.

Azreal
19-10-04, 11:40 AM
oh and Iron maiden :)

Dusted
19-10-04, 11:41 AM
No contest.

The Smiths

Sc00by
19-10-04, 11:42 AM
No contest.

The Smiths

Hang Morrisey, Hang Morrisey, etc...

Smokey
19-10-04, 12:00 PM
GnR only had one album during the 80's (excluding the lies ep), so are they in there because of their recent greatest hits?
Wasn't george micheal mainly with Wham! during the 80s so should he be counted as a solo artist?
My vote will go to Prince or MJ (even though I hate him!)

It seems to me that these polls are made up of what people think now rather than what actually happened at the time!

Azreal
19-10-04, 12:22 PM
damit I voted for Prince by accident , instead of MJ ( I dont like him he makes me feel uneasy) but he was like him (imo) or not the most dominant artist of that era

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
19-10-04, 02:04 PM
Az and Smokey have a point, if you're going to try and have some criteria for what's considered 'great' in terms of a wide view of popular music they have to include some combination of originality, influence and 'units' sold. By originality I'm thinking of bringing something new into the chart, rather than pure sonic invention. All the artists listed have done one or more of the above (though not necessarily in the Eighties). On these grounds, rather than those of personal favourites, I'd go for Prince or Michael Jackson.

Mincemeat
19-10-04, 02:24 PM
MJ all the way. :)

Azreal
19-10-04, 02:26 PM
MJ all the way. :)you say that like its a good thing :lol:

Sc00by
19-10-04, 02:56 PM
MJ all the way. :)

From a black man to a white woman? Or with a 10 year old boy?

As I said; I didn't like MJ even in the 80's (yes I can remember them :( ) so my view of him isn't prejudiced by what has come after as such. It just doesn't help his cause...

Prince almost got my vote, just a shame his ego was too big to fit in my vote post really. Not only did he produce some pretty reasonable stuff he also wrote some of the 80s classic songs...

The boss is still the one (from that list) for me though. The fact that Madonna and U2 are already in there removes 2 of the biggest 80s 'stars' from the running before you start though. Like Az I did wonder where the likes of Metallica and Maiden where though. Obviously not quite mainstream enough :thumbs:

Mincemeat
19-10-04, 03:21 PM
I liked his music back in the 80's. Doesnt mean I like him now...

[OLSC]Fizban
19-10-04, 06:31 PM
Like Az I did wonder where the likes of Metallica and Maiden where though. Obviously not quite mainstream enough :thumbs:

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/H/halloffame/about.htmlWho decided on the shortlist?
Broadcaster, DJ and industry expert Paul Gambaccini leads the steering committee of music experts, artists, industry professionals, broadcasters and journalists. Their initial brief was to select five founder members of legendary influence and status within popular music. The steering group then went on to select 10 influential artists to represent each decade, which could then be put up for the public vote.

Fiz

gob
19-10-04, 08:12 PM
The issue with Maiden and Metallica is when they were influential. Metallica haven't done a decent album since 1991 and their influence was high 84-87 in terms of recordings. I still think they are the best live band in the world (with Slayer pushing them close as witnessed at the Hammersmith Apollo 9 days ago) but influential in the 90's? Nah. I mean I have seen them 4 times in the last 2 years and they havent played anything recorded after 1991.

Maiden are pretty much the same really with their most influential stuff being 1980-1987 although their last 2 albums are great.

Bands now are still being influenced by them now and during the 90's but they made the stuff that influences in the 80's so they probably should have been in the list for that decade.

The same could be said for a lot of the poll tbh - Micheal Jackson, The Beastie Boys, Prince, Springsteen and to a certain degree The Smiths were all prominent in the 80's. I mean if Oasis win the poll copying Beatles songs to a certain degree, does that mean that in fact the Beatles were the most influential band in the 90's? Or what about the number of band influenced by Black Sabbath - pretty much anyone who uses electric guitars.

Then again what I know about 'Popular' Music you could write on a post-it ;)

Sc00by
19-10-04, 10:39 PM
This poll is about the 80s Gob...

gob
19-10-04, 10:49 PM
well dont i feel like the stupid one - note to self - read the thread title. Hmm i'm gonna go off and trade Michael Vick for an empty crisp packet ;)

In that case Maiden would be my choice - so many bands (including Metallica) were influenced by them - now put them in the poll so I can vote for em!!

Azreal
20-10-04, 08:58 AM
I liked his music back in the 80's. Doesnt mean I like him now...I can picture you with your ''micheal Jackson is innocent T-shirt''

Mincemeat
20-10-04, 06:46 PM
Rofl... I dont care if he is innocent or not. I liked his music back then.

McBain
20-10-04, 07:00 PM
I agree there Mince, to me, if he's found to be a kiddie fiddler now, it doesn't change that I enjoyed his music back in the day...

Azreal
20-10-04, 07:28 PM
dont get me wrong also , I enjoyed some of his music, and even had a copy of his ''off the wall'' cd , but I didnt really enjoy his last popular album ''Dangerous'' and that was before all those aligations about him been (as McB puts it ) a ''Kiddie Fiddler''

Skavorn
31-10-04, 05:56 PM
There's now a 70's poll....I'll probably post it up later....

It has to be MJ....don't like the rest.....

[OLSC]Fizban
31-10-04, 06:44 PM
Um Skav, that was last week, C4 are doing the 60's tonight

Fiz

Sc00by
01-11-04, 10:56 AM
the 60s? The Kinks all the way for me :thumbs:

Skavorn
02-11-04, 06:40 PM
Fizban]Um Skav, that was last week, C4 are doing the 60's tonight

Fiz

Well maybe I'm watching the repeats then