PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood remakes of Japanse Horror

briktopp
22-10-04, 10:49 AM
recently saw the american remake of the Japansese horror classic The Ring

"Investigating the urban myth of a video tape which kills you a week after watching it, journalist Rachel Keller makes the fatal mistake of taking a sneak peak herself. Now she has just seven days to solve its riddle before she too succumbs to its sinister power."

having seen the original first i was reluctant to watch this partly because I didnt think the original matched the hype - it simply wasnt that terrafying. by the time it gets to the famous end sequence with the TV I was dozing off. I only got the american remake out because i had one of those doritos free voucher thingies.

suprisingly i thought the remake was very good - keeps the tension going unlike the orginal and I really like the look of the film.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

plus anyone seen 'Ju-on' which has been remade into 'the grudge'?

Azreal
22-10-04, 01:12 PM
I saw the Ring some time ago, (and screamed like a girl at the end scene :) ) anyway I did enjoy it, Im not a big fan of Horror movies ,but this one I actually enjoyed, saw the original on Sky earlier this yr. As far as im concerned the only Asian film they need to remake is the classic manga film Akira (but a live version of it).

The trailer for the sequel of the ring : The Ring Two is now up online to view . http://www.ring2-themovie.com/

Stars:Starring: Naomi Watts, David Dorfman, Simon Baker, Emily VanCamp, Sissy Spacek, Elizabeth Perkins, Meagen Fay, Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

Skavorn
05-11-04, 06:12 PM
I seen The Ring aswell....friggin awesome film

The woman coming out of the TV probably had to be the scariest thing in a movie I've ever seen in my life....and the videotape was also a freak show...

I gotta see the second one!

briktopp
07-12-04, 02:56 PM
I saw the grudge which is a remake of Ju-on, bascially this is a haunted house story, it sets the scene with an american family moving into a house in Japan where, unknown to them, horrible murders have occurred.

The simple story is actually pretty much unchanged - the main difference being that the family is american and not japanese hence sarah michelle Geller stars. Geller is fine by the way in that she does not spoil it by being bigger than the film itself

The director is the same and he has dumped all the dodgy scenes from the original and taken all the best bits and worked on them - the result is an incredibly terryfying film from start to end. WARNING this is not for the feint hearted as there really is no let up - i challenge anybody to sit through it cos if the images dont get you the sound effects will!!!!!