PDA

View Full Version : Which Half-Life 2 package have/are you going to buy?

Skavorn
01-11-04, 01:44 PM
With 2 weeks ago...not long to wait now :P

Other forums have this poll running so I thought better not leave Lanarchy out :wink:

[OLSC]Slaine
01-11-04, 03:57 PM
As most of the OLSC have or will buy the silver version as we're waiting for DOD:S :)

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
01-11-04, 04:52 PM
what he said :that:

although there's absolutely no reason for me to get it until nov 14th onwards....

Mincemeat
01-11-04, 06:27 PM
not getting it till after july.

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
02-11-04, 04:41 PM
ummm, it IS after july mate...

Skavorn
02-11-04, 06:43 PM
I think he means the next year...

I'm sure your be bale to download DoD:Source anyway...I mean they'll be relased free eventally if not right away...

...therefore my retail should be fine :D

[OLSC]Hitman
02-11-04, 07:35 PM
DoD:S will NOT be a free download. Currently the only way to get it is by buying the Steam Silver or Gold packages.

In future you may be able to buy DoD:S standalone, but will have to pay for it.

It seems the days of free mods from Valve are long gone!

McBain
02-11-04, 09:57 PM
Did Valve ever provide free mods? I must have missed them :side:

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
03-11-04, 12:33 AM
dod, cs, tfc....

McBain
03-11-04, 05:45 AM
But they were mods made by members of the community. As soon as Valve got hold of them, they charged people for them... :( (Actually, not sure about TFC... but when something's that naff, how could they have the cheek to charge for it ;) )

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
03-11-04, 08:28 AM
except for cs, which is free, and dod, which is free, and tfc which is better than both and not only free but bundled into a patch!

[OLSC]Slaine
03-11-04, 01:50 PM
TFC was a mod built by Value to show the community what sort of game could be built using the engine, that why it looks and feels like a half finished game. :poop: :poop:

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
03-11-04, 04:16 PM
tfc is an updated version of the Quake (2?) mod "team fortress"

it is far superior from a balance and gameplay perspective than many other more popular games/mods....

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
03-11-04, 04:22 PM
...like Ricochet.

McBain
03-11-04, 05:14 PM
Papa Smurf]except for cs, which is free, and dod, which is free
Which were written by HL community members. The versions fueled by Valve cost money...

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
03-11-04, 07:07 PM
only if you were dumb enough to buy the retail versions...

Crippler2032
03-11-04, 07:52 PM
I'm dumb enough to buy the retail version!

dont want to download it and would rather have a version that comes with a box and instructions and stuff like that.

McBain
03-11-04, 09:14 PM
I believe he's referring to the original Half Life, for which CS and DOD were free mods made by the comunnity. Once valve got hold of them, they put them on sale in the shops. The next version of CS (the only one you can credit to Valve - CZ) was only available by purchase, not as a free download.

Skavorn
03-11-04, 10:53 PM
I'm dumb enough to buy the retail version!

dont want to download it and would rather have a version that comes with a box and instructions and stuff like that.

Half Life 2 doesn't come with instructions even in the retail box...you just get a help/installation card

I believe he's referring to the original Half Life, for which CS and DOD were free mods made by the comunnity. Once valve got hold of them, they put them on sale in the shops. The next version of CS (the only one you can credit to Valve - CZ) was only available by purchase, not as a free download.

Yes but as Valve are encourage modders to use they're engine & soft|image XSI to make mods I wouldnt be suprised if it was later released free for all half life 2 purchasers, otherwise Day of Defeat will be the only mod not available to retail purchasers.

Also even if they decide not to release it free, I wouldnt be suprised if some smart ass found a way to get the Day of Defeat mod into an .exe for half-life 2 retail purchasers to play

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
04-11-04, 07:43 AM
I'm pretty sure the idea that DoD will be released free is wishful thinking for a while yet (maybe after they release DoD2 if such a thing were to happen) as far as I can tell. Also, I think that the chances of someone cracking the Steam delivery/install system and the user account system is small. Even if they did so Valve would change Steam in the next update and you'd be locked out all over again. Remember there is no single player version of DoD, you basically have to play it via Steam.

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
04-11-04, 04:32 PM
but the fact remains that if you have a copy of HL (and tbh - who doesn't?) then you are able to play for free cs, dod, tfc, etc...

cs-s, dod-s, tfc-s (/wish :wub:) are a different story however.

and i maintain that anyone who bought the retail versions deserves to be coated in jam and made to run through brighton naked

[OLSC]Fizban
04-11-04, 04:48 PM
What's Brighton done to upset you?

Fiz

McBain
04-11-04, 06:08 PM
Papa Smurf]but the fact remains that if you have a copy of HL (and tbh - who doesn't?) then you are able to play for free cs, dod, tfc, etc..
I didn't say you couldn't, that wasn't really what was suggested. It was suggested that Valve used to produce mods for their games for free. They didn't, they bought the rights to the free ones from changed them, then charged people for the newer versions.

Skavorn
04-11-04, 06:25 PM
....which sucks and makes Valve greedy, even though they did create a masterpiece...there's no reason to be so greedy / selfish :(

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
04-11-04, 07:22 PM
<snip>...They didn't, they bought the rights to the free ones from changed them, then charged people for the newer versions.
and my point is that no-one was forced to pay for these "valve-ised" versions...

dod retail is virtually identical to the existing "free" version
cs:cz only adds a sp campaign (of dubious quality) to what is (for whatever reason :roll: ) the most popular MP game in the world...everything else about it has been synchronised with the free version by patches (FAMAS, Riot Shield, T rifle i can't remember the name of)

McBain
04-11-04, 08:12 PM
Papa Smurf]and my point is that no-one was forced to pay for these "valve-ised" versions...

:lol: No one said CS or DoD wasn't free. As I said two posts up -

I didn't say you couldn't, that wasn't really what was suggested. It was suggested that Valve used to produce mods for their games for free. They didn't, they bought the rights to the free ones from changed them, then charged people for the newer versions.

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
04-11-04, 09:11 PM
but you also said :

<snip>...then charged people for the newer versions.

i was just pointing out that no-one needed to pay...

McBain
04-11-04, 09:27 PM
No they don't. Does that make the statement you have quoted wrong?

Skavorn
04-11-04, 10:09 PM
girls...girls....STOP FIGHTING :lol:

Sc00by
05-11-04, 11:59 AM
Ooh hand bags at 50 paces over technicalities and wording. Bring back Wintermute! ;)

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
05-11-04, 03:39 PM
the implication was that once valve "acquired" ownership of the mods, their free status was "revoked"

my final words on the matter, if i misunderstood your original post then fair enough.

debate ends...;)

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
05-11-04, 05:14 PM
That was never five minutes!

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
05-11-04, 08:37 PM
never any good at public speaking :oops:

McBain
14-09-05, 09:03 AM
Just thought I would point out, if there are people out the somewhere that don't already have it, Half Life 2 is not only [url=http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/ext_shop/productpage.asp?ref=DABS&productcode=RM00327]

HUNTER
14-09-05, 03:37 PM
i picked up the Collectors edition in July :D