PDA

View Full Version : Super Size Me

McBain
01-02-05, 06:51 PM
I finished watching this today, I have to say it's not a bad film. For those unfamiliar with the movie, it is more of a documentary, following a guy who decides as an experiment he will eat nothing but McDonalds for a whole month. He undergoes extensive health tests before and after to see what effects the food has on his body.

In many ways the results are rather predictable. He gains 25 pounds and his various levels (bod fat %, colesteral etc) go up considerably.

I mean 25 pounds is a lot of weight, its pretty much a kilo every 3 days, thats quite a lot. He also reported feeling pretty bad, apart from when he was eating.

I think the results were probably rather extreme though as he was generally a very healthy guy, hardly ever eating fatty foods etc. This would mean all that McD's would be a pretty big shock to his system, where as someone like me, who does eat fast food now and then, and generally doesn't eat much veg anyway, wouldn't see such drastic changes, as my body would be better prepared to such a test.

This all came about as two girls tried to sue McD's for making them fat. At first your probably saying 'are they crazy? no-one forced them to eat that fatty food!' But after the movie makes a few points, such as McD's are the only ones to target young children like they do. Not just the happy meals and the bubbly clown, but for things like having kids play areas (often the only ones in the area) as part of their restaurants and their adverts targetting the younger audiences.

Should McDonalds have more of a responsible standing in the world? It is expected obesity may soon overtake smoking as the number one avoidable cause of death. Does something need to be done?

Smokey
02-02-05, 09:43 AM
I reckon we should try a similar experiment but with milk and cookies!!!!
(sorry, couldn't resist!)

Skavorn
30-03-05, 12:36 AM
yeah I've seen that....it was damn brilliant I hardly eat fast food because of it now

McBain
20-04-05, 07:53 AM
It's going to be on C4 on Thursday 28th of April. Worth checking out :thumbs:

Lestat
20-04-05, 08:12 AM
Yeah good film, Possibly try a similiar one for here, Donna kebab and Lager for a month sounds like a party :)