PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 Mods

McBain
03-03-05, 11:09 PM
I just wondered if anyone had found any decent mods for HL2 yet. Either ones that slightly alter the original game or maybe even total conversions?

Mincemeat
03-03-05, 11:58 PM
I would Love to see a HL2 Firearms type Mod..that would be amazing.

Skavorn
04-03-05, 02:43 PM
the only one I found that looks worth getting is this.... (http://www.fileplanet.com/150631/150000/fileinfo/Half-Life-2---R8-HDR-Bloom-Mod)It makes HL2 look a bit more of the standard I expected "light-wise"

Anyway, have a look yourself (http://www.fileplanet.com/hl2/)

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
04-03-05, 04:20 PM
there is only one worth mentioning....dod-s ;)

Skavorn
06-03-05, 04:45 AM
:roll:

Crippler2032
06-03-05, 12:08 PM
Valve news on steam earlier this week had a feature on HL: Capture the Flag which looked quite good, i might download it at somepoint and give it a go.

McBain
06-03-05, 12:32 PM
I recall seeing something about that. It's not listed in the Steam games though, is it an independent mod then?

Crippler2032
06-03-05, 12:58 PM
yeah, the thing on steam was about a Valve vs the Mod makers (dunno what they call themselves) game at the CTF mod, the mod looked quite nice but i cant remember where to get it, probly on fileplanet i would think, i'll take alook later

Skavorn
06-03-05, 06:58 PM
you can get it from here....
Anyway, have a look yourself (http://www.fileplanet.com/hl2/)

McBain
06-03-05, 09:22 PM
Okay, I downloaded and installed it... can't say I'm overly impressed :?

The servers I got to try it on, although they pinged reasonably well, were rather 'jerky'. I often started with just a pistol and had someone gunning me down before I could do anything.

If you wanna play CTF, load up UT2004 I guess (I really missed the little compass things at the top, showing you which way to go... :( )

Gamith
07-03-05, 06:24 AM
>little compass things at the top
On new maps that's pretty vital.

The HL2 strider mod is a little disappointing - the map that comes with it is a circular urban route and the striders get caught up on lampposts too easily.
There are loads of bazookas etc lying around to kill the striders with though.

I only played one CTF map but it was a little boring, and there were no alternate routes.

Haven't tried the bloom mod yet though.

TTFN

Gamith
08-03-05, 08:38 PM
Here are some mods for HL2 - though I haven't tried any of them yet.

http://www.halflife2.net/index.php?page=mods

TTFN

McBain
08-03-05, 09:04 PM
Nice one Gamith. Almost all of those seem to be still in their development stages (I even found one they gave up before they really got going :roll: ). There look to be some interesting ones though, if people pull their finger out and give us something to try :)

I'd love to see opera come about on HL2, that was a cool mod :thumbs:

Gamith
08-03-05, 09:33 PM
I quite liked the look of the battletech mod.

Skavorn
28-04-05, 10:26 PM
OK, today I decided to download all the multiplayer mods and try them out.....

There were....

Art of Ascension - DM, but you level up as you play so your guns to more damage and you have more HP

Half Life 2: Capture The Flag - The name says it all.....it has some really great maps :P

Plan of Attack - A poorly made CS rip off.....

Source Racer - Didn't work unfortunately :x

-------------

Out of the 4 I tried.....the only 1 that was fun and I highly recommend trying is Capture The Flag :thumbs:

It's really fun when you get nearly all the way there and do a sprint for the flag and away....managed to caputre it 4 times on 1 map.....2 on another....and the final map....but the most fun 0 times :( but I got damn close....

Anyway out of all the mods it's the only one which is definately LAN-able...

Art of Acension could be good but the server I played on everyone was rediculously good levels so I could shoot 2 rounds into them.......and then they flick me 1 bullet with a pistol and I was dead.... :roll: ....so I eventually gave up on that after a couple of hours :evil:

McBain
28-04-05, 10:46 PM
I didn't particularly like HL2 CTF when I tried it. There are a lot of features missing that UT2004 has...

Skavorn
28-04-05, 11:41 PM
Yes, but this is free.....run on a total different gameplay style engine.....gravity guns....the list goes on and on.....anyway, my point is even though they have the same game type......the actual games itself are very different, both have there good points.

McBain
29-04-05, 07:53 AM
Yeah, but its not actually free, you need to have HL2, which is the same price as UT2004 and from the time I played HL2 CTF, it had a lot less going for it than UT2004 (a proper CTF game ;) Just my opinion :)

helios
29-04-05, 09:19 AM
i must admit, the HL2 ctf mod is quite weak. COD is a mid-o-the-line ctf, but HL2 is worse than that. it just doesn't fit with the genre of the game.

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
29-04-05, 04:15 PM
TFC is the ultimate CTF

Skavorn
29-04-05, 05:25 PM
ok, so it was just me who thought it rocked then :)

McBain
29-04-05, 10:10 PM
I didn't give it a lot of time, so I may try it again at somepoint, but I can't see me prefering it over something like UT2004 as a CTF game...