PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and opinions

McBain
07-06-05, 11:30 AM
A few things have changed over the last few days and I thought I should check what people think -

1) At present you can extend a map twice, but no more. Should this be just once? Sometimes maps seem to go on a bit and I notice people leave when it gets up around 17-16 or something. This might be less of an issue with some changes I've made already, but what do people think, extend just once?

(I think it sometimes extends because there is no map with a major majority. I have cut the options to 5 maps and a map needs now 50% to be selected instead of 60%. I think before, if no map got 60% it would just extend by default)

2) Top killer and kill streak were removed around the same time we increased to 20 player server. Since then we seem a lot busier. Is this because there is now less lag? Do people miss the above mentioned reports at the end of each round? I know I do, especially now we are fuller, but if it causes lag I'm guessing people prefer a smoother gaming experience.

3) I have switched from first to 12 to a best of 16 format. Partly because of reason 1. One team would shoot out to a lead, maybe 9 - 2, the map hasn't been played much so an extend vote goes in, then ETB balances things out and it comes back to 11 -11, the map has now been played for ages, and there are possibly 11 more rounds to go! Best of 16 means this doesn't happen. On the down side, you don't get the tense 'this round is the winner' but do people really pay that much attention to the scores?

4) Mapcycle or mapvote? At present we have a vote near the end of each map to see which should be next. This means some (very good) maps never really get seen, just because people don't know them and so don't vote for them. If we changed to a mapcycle it would mean all maps would get equal time and would all be played. There could still be an extend vote (I think) so maps people enjoy can go on a little longer. The problem would be, if there are some unpopular maps in there, they are forced on and people might leave... but then I guess we just need to remove the less popular ones?

Anyway, if anyone has thoughts or opinions on the above matters, they would be gratefully received :thumbs:

helios
07-06-05, 11:59 AM
1) extend once is a very good idea, they do drag a bit at 22 rounds, or have the extend down to 3 rounds and twice?

2) these aren't esentials, nice, but i don't miss them. No lag definitely.

3) best of 16 sounds good, so i would say leave it as that.

4) if you do that, having the map vote on might be an idea? or just make a vote manually for some o the maps that dont get voted for much 4 rounds from the end (work for an admin but it would not keep the maps that no 1 wanted at that time being played.

McBain
07-06-05, 12:10 PM
4) if you do that, having the map vote on might be an idea?
How do you mean? Mapvote is currently on, thats what I'm asking, should it be turned off and follow the mapcycle?

Lestat
07-06-05, 12:12 PM
Everything I like if there was a way to limit the map vote to not put a popular map in there al the time and choose by least played sometimes would be nice

Sc00by
07-06-05, 12:15 PM
I like the mapcycle idea. Stops the server just rotating 3 or 4 popular maps...

An admin can always change the map if there is an outcry against what is on?

Otherwise I'm with Helios.

McBain
07-06-05, 12:18 PM
One thing I have done (that I would appreciate if people confirm this works) is increase the 'map memory' that mani has. It did remeber the last 4 maps played, and would make sure they were included in the map vote. I have increased that to 6, maybe I should even go to 8? This would mean we should see more of the less played maps appearing in the votes?

helios
07-06-05, 05:22 PM
hmm, sounds good.

What i meant for 4 was if the map cycle was used, allow the "votemap" say command.

Gamith
08-06-05, 05:36 AM
If there is no clear map 'winner' after a vote can a non-recently played map be selected?

I must agree that the sames maps being played gets tedious - especially if they are always being extended - so just having the one extend seems good.

As a thought - what about dropping the extend option? what purpose does it serve?

TTFN

McBain
08-06-05, 07:43 AM
I don't think dropping extend all together is a good idea, some maps can be over very quick as they are rather small and you need the option to tag a few extra rounds onto the end. I feel the 'best of' system is working a lot better than the 'first to' system.

If there is no clear map 'winner' after a vote can a non-recently played map be selected?

Do you mean, can the default be a lesser played map? I don't think so. It's a good idea though. If no clear winner from the vote, then it just uses the next map in the mapcycle, but I don't think this is one of the options.

Crippler2032
08-06-05, 10:37 AM
1) yeah i think only extend once, some maps do tend to drag on...

2) i wouldnt say i miss the report at all, it was interesting but nothing we cant live without and the lag was really becoming an issue. Since its all been removed the lag has gone and the server runs great :)

3) Best of 16 should be good, altho if a team leaps out to a quick lead then maps could be over in no time, but its either that or take ages sometimes, dont think you can please everyone either way. try it at best of 16 for awhile and see what happens.

4) Mapcycle or Mapvote? hmmm... i like the ability to vote but as said there are some decent maps that never see the light of day (and a few that get played WAY too much). it might be an idea to put a poll on the main page to see what peoples opinions are, and refer people from the server to the website to make their vote

helios
08-06-05, 10:46 AM
if it could be alternated between map vote and map cycle (e.g. 1 round vote, the next cyle), would that be good?

McBain
08-06-05, 11:17 AM
3) Best of 16 should be good, altho if a team leaps out to a quick lead then maps could be over in no time
Surely bext of 16 helps that? When it was first to 12, if one team won the first 12 it was over straight away, at least now it carries on for 4 more rounds.

I like how it runs at the moment, I even think two extensions is okay now, cause its still only 26 rounds. That would be 13-13 in the old format, and with two extensions in that way, you would be looking at possibly 17 more rounds still! :shock:

Crippler2032
08-06-05, 12:36 PM
yeah sorry completely mis read the whole best of bit. ignore that

[BFs]AnastieByte
08-06-05, 06:10 PM
The way it is at present seems fine. Great selection of maps. No lag since my post. Thanks