PDA

View Full Version : What festivals have you been/are going to this year?

h0b0
09-07-05, 11:47 AM
I wish i was going to T in the park. :D

Penguin
09-07-05, 12:41 PM
I went to Greenday in the MK bowl.. who were AMAZING! They played their songs properly, in a punk way, not the crappy pop way on American Idiot (their latest album)

I'm getting to Reading for free (hopefully on the day I come back from New Zealand for 3 weeks :P) because my friend's friend has a garden where u can see the stage and screeens from :P

h0b0
09-07-05, 09:43 PM
i heard leeds is an ace fest :)

Sc00by
09-07-05, 10:30 PM
Reading/Leeds is the same thing, same bands on different days. I'm going to Reading, my lil bro is going to Leeds...

Brisk4
09-07-05, 10:38 PM
i saw manic street preachers dec 2004

McBain
09-07-05, 11:02 PM
I've never been to see a live band. I don't see the attraction. Well that's nto true, I do, I go and see live sports events and it would be for the same reason - the atmosphere. I guess the atmosphere (and dumping in a whole in the ground - or whatever it is you do at these things out in a field :side: ) just aren't as appealing at a music event to me...

Penguin
09-07-05, 11:50 PM
seriously, live music is amazing. Even if you go in thinking "this band's becoming crapper. I dont like their new stuff. Whats so great about live music" you will come thinking "they were so amazing. I want to go again!"

Its truley worth going :thumbs:

h0b0
10-07-05, 04:53 AM
And the atmosphere at glastonbury is amazing. A bunch of shitty fields, turns into a small village, with hundreds of live acts every turn u make. Even if you don't like any of the bands, its still worth going :D (unless ur a dirty chav)

gob
10-07-05, 06:19 PM
Live music is fantastic when done well but I guess some types of music don't translate as well live as others. My main preference is metal/rock etc and you cant beat the energy at a good gig especially in the mosh pit.

I have also been (un) lucky enough to see some more 'mainstream' artists live such as Whitney Houston, Dire Straights, the Beautiful South among others in attempts to make various others halves happy and tbh I was unimpressed as most of the audience just sat in their seats and clapped occasionally.

The only 'electronic' based band I have seen live were the Prodigy and they were amazing despite the fact i'm not a fan of their music.

You can't beat the crowd participation at a live gig such as 3000 people singing 'We're not gonna take it' at a Twisted Sister gig last year at the Astoria. Ask Scoobs who was going for it despite being in total agony with a broken collar bone!! Or Mrs Scoobs who hadn't been to a live concert before that night but is now hooked.

I admit I prefer more personal gigs (even larger halls like the Astoria, Hammy O, sorry Apollo, or Brixton Academy) to festivals although I cant wait for Reading to see Maiden accompanied by 100000 singing Number of the Beast :rock:

Penguin
10-07-05, 06:36 PM
tbh, I prefer festivals as they go on longer, and you can actually breathe :P plus I prefer the outdoors when its nice (and dark).

I wanted to go and see Anti-Flag @ the Astoria in June, but never got round to buying tickets :'(

BufordTJ
21-09-05, 05:49 PM
i went to leeds! :shock:

Penguin
21-09-05, 06:08 PM
lol, lukcy ;) I meant to go to Reading, but I was too jet lagged :(

I went to the Notting Hill Carnival if that counts :D

Damn It Im Shite Tonight
21-09-05, 08:20 PM
Went to V a couple of years ago, turned up late and had to set up the tents in the dark. Woke up the next morning to find a massive queue of people standing outside! We had unfortunately set up right next to the portaloos. Not so bad at first but after 6 hours without being emptied in the August weather the smell was not at all pleasant :poop:

I got soaked, got pee'd on, got crushed trying to get to the front for Chilli Peppers, stank of everyone elses sweat and had a drunken conversation with a bird as she squatted down to pee next to me. All in all, I had a cracking weekend, lol.

Can't wait till the Chillis do V / Reading again! Just a shame that I never saw Rage Against the Machine live. They were supposed to be crazy! Anyone seen them?

BufordTJ
22-09-05, 08:30 AM
Leeds was awesome but the pricks who killed a tree by trying to set it on fire spoiled it...mainly cos this tree was like 5 metres from our tent ffs!!!

We had a right scramble to get leeds tickets cos our lass ordered tickets about 4 months before the festival then 2 weeks before realised that she accidentaly ordered reading tickets! DOH! so we found some dudes down in Coventry *shudder* who were willing to swap as they did the same but had leeds and wanted to go to reading.

Leeds is supposed to have better atmosphere than reading, probably because us northern monkeys are mental....but reading is obviously more erm "traditional?" and more sought after.

Still leeds weekend was great but I put on loads of weight and pickled my liver in a cocktail of carling and roast beef! mmmm.

3 days of over indulgence!

chuckwood
22-09-05, 09:01 AM
me and the girl went to Leeds this year-had an absolute ball!!! Foo fighters, Pixies-had a great time-apart from the shitty weather!

BufordTJ
22-09-05, 12:12 PM
i didnt think the weather was all that bad, the first day it hail stoned and nearly snowed but after that the rain held off quite a bit.

We woke up one morning to the sound of one of our camping neighbours using the side of our expensive tent a piss pot!

Found out who it was and we tossed a whole litre of piss over his tent and into the air holes on the top on the last morning and then stoned his tent with old rotten apples at 6 am when we were leaving! :-)

Apparently he had been using our tent as his own ensuite for the whole weekend! Still we got our revenge!

The bands were awesome, I especially liked Maximo Park, Kasabian, Foo's and Manson.

...think I'm getting too old for festivals, felt like an old man this year!

chuckwood
22-09-05, 01:57 PM
Ummm I am 31 and I had a great time-old man indeed!!! The weather compared to Reading sucked balls-I live in Watford and they had great warm weather so to me it sucked!
We camped green section right near some toliets so didnt have the problem of people pissing-just had the looooooong walk to the arena, wrist band exchange and also the mile hump with camping equipment-thats what sucked!

Cannon_Fodder
31-07-06, 03:03 AM
As august is approaching i'd thought i'd say that i'm going to V2006, should be a good laugh, going with my usual festival buddies which live near me.
The acts i hope to be able to see are: Morrissey, Faithless , paul weller, kubb, radiohead, keane, dead 60s, charlatans, james dean bradfield, kasabian, editors, ordinary boys, kula shaker, groove amada, fatboy slim, the go! team, we are scientists, cooper temple clause, oceansize, art brut and captain. Chances are i won't get to see all of these though due to clashes :( If anyone is going i'd be happy to meet up with them or something just to say hi, i'll be at the staffordshire venue.

ArTFuL DoDGeR
31-07-06, 10:08 AM
Whereabouts in staffordshire is it being held, that looks like a good lineup :)

Stokes

Cannon_Fodder
01-08-06, 04:43 PM
it's at western park just outside of shropshire in the middle of nowhere.
Should be a good laugh i've been the past 2 years.
Tickets are most likely sold out, especially as there's one less festival this year with no glasto. I've got my ticket as it is, weekend no camping as i live about a 10 min walk from it :D

Sarif
08-09-06, 11:53 AM
Meh i had tickets to V, but i thorght the line up wasnt great, so me and Eldarkon got tickets to the Lowland Festival in Holland and went there for a few days, line up was awesome and the festival was great, alot better facilities than V, and i mean way better...its all inside huge marque tents, the stages that is...the crowd is a little harder to please id say, but hey great music and beer...who cares :P Muse were awesome also Snow Patrol and Lost Prophets got the crowd going and i mean a few thousand people all together is awesome....if you want to go to a great festival id advise Lowlands...but make sure you get a good line up as it is a bit of a trip there and all..

Nemesis
09-09-06, 11:27 AM
my sister went to reading and loved it, im to young to go atm :P but ima gunna continue our families tradition, my bro went 3 years, my sister went last year, and already has her ticket for next year (they came out the day after lol, dont even know the line-up) so at least 2 years as will i :wink:

Iron Maiden! Hopefully they'd play!

Sarif
09-09-06, 03:13 PM
I did that for V last year brought the tickets then didnt like the line up...luckily i was able to sell them..

Cannon_Fodder
10-09-06, 02:13 AM
V this year was pretty good i thought, it seems to be going very indie this year. There were a decent number of bands i wanted to see but unfortunately i wasn't able to see them all.
In the end i saw
kubb, dandy warhols, sugababes, delays, james deadn bradfield, paul weller, faithless ,razorlight and the cooper temple clause on the saturday
then on the sunday
daniel powter, dead 60s, divine comedy (who did a funny cover of nelly furtado's maneater) magic numbers, bloc party, keane, beck (who did an amazing live puppet show) then radiohead who were just awesome with an hour and 45 set of pure magic :D

Personally that lineup suited me to a t, was brilliant, and i got to saw a bunch of bands i wanted to.
That was the main reason i chose it over leeds and reading, although seeng muse again woulda been awesome as they are immense live.