PDA

View Full Version : Jittery CSS

McBain
12-07-05, 06:16 PM
Does anyone else get this? The best way I can think to describe it is jittery. Its not like lag, just very small glitches when running. It doesn't seem to happen if I crouch and just look around, only when moving.

Tbh, I haven't tested things much. I need to run about on a different server to check if it is ours. I can try playing on a different machine on our server, to check if it is my machine.

I'm a little paranoid at the mo that HLstats is causing problems. Last night, the 3 servers were all full and the CPU usage on our server was up over 80% most of the time, I've never seen it that high.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else suffered with this, is it just our server, if not are there any tweaks to be made to my install etc?

Skavorn
12-07-05, 06:31 PM
Hmmm I get it aswell now and then.....after a bit of troubleshooting I think it's CPU overloading......oh and no, its not the server.....perhaps it also has something to do with the maps.....because remember theres that one custom map....I complain mega bad with lag.......perhaps.....the detail in some maps are higher than other so the rendering uses up more CPU?

Just a guess :P

Penguin
12-07-05, 06:43 PM
I got it on the server as well, so I doubt its your machine...

McBain
12-07-05, 06:48 PM
I got it on the server as well, so I doubt its your machine...
That doesn't help unless we know you don't get it on other servers...?

McBain
12-07-05, 08:26 PM
Right, here is a pic of my CPU load while playing earlier -

http://www.nurcs.com/images/mycpu.gif

What I find interesting is, when I alt + tab to Task Manager, even though CS is carrying on behind, the CPU load drops right down?

My CPU is a 64bit 3500+ O/C to 3800+... surely that should be enough to cope with CSS?

HUNTER
12-07-05, 09:55 PM
I was getting lag/jitters earlier this evening while playing.

McBain
12-07-05, 09:59 PM
All through the evening, or did it ease up later on?

wintermute
12-07-05, 10:35 PM
It would be interesting to compare running in window to running full screen perhaps? Because the graphic detail should be nothing to do with the CPU, that's all dealt with by the GFX card.

Rob

helios
13-07-05, 08:05 AM
When running in a window, my jitters are worse than when running full screen.

This is an interesting problem - and i have no sugestions atm.

Sc00by
13-07-05, 08:17 AM
It cleared up somewhat when the HL stats on the server got switched off a,d came back again when they were switched back on again.

And CS does not just use the GFX card.. ther processor (quite rightly) has quite a lot of work to do...

McBain
13-07-05, 08:49 AM
I've rebooted the server this morning, and put HL stats on, but lowered the amount of bots. It seems fine... but may get bad when lots of people connect in :? I'll see later on.

IXL
13-07-05, 02:14 PM
For what its worth Ive had this occasionally as well, and not just on my server but NESW as well.

Has anyone just checked there CPU temps during this "jittery" period..? Just a thought as its been hot of late. I cant speak for you obviously, but my pc does run rather cool at about 45 deg under load, however the room the pc is in does get rather hot in the summer which doesnt really help.

McBain
13-07-05, 02:31 PM
Hmm, might be worth checking, but my CPU is normally around 30, and the room it is in is air conditioned... so I wouldn't think thats it.

I just connected to our server with my shuttle, it seemed a bit better on that, but there was still a faint bit of jittering.

I wonder if its mani, ETB or the mugmod? I might try setting up a plain vanilla server and see if it does it on that...

Skavorn
13-07-05, 02:41 PM
Don't forget it was mentioned before Half Life 2 was even released that the physics engine is "VERY" CPU dependant....maybe the jolts have something to do with when alot of physics are being used.

McBain
13-07-05, 03:09 PM
I've been and had a browse through the Steampowered forums (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=86606d3b67a673b850f7bd5bd8fd021 7&forumid=44) and it appears there is a problem since the last patch. Here is a typical summary someone posted -

Yeah all CS:Source servers are screwed.

General laggy playing feel, regardless of player numbers.

Random complete lack of shot registration.

Players warping all over the place.

Pings crap sometimes but other times they are fine but actual play is extremely poor.

It all occured after this last update.
I'm not sure ours is that bad, but it is apparent there has been a problem with a lot of people's servers since the patch.

I've done some testing with settings on a test server and I think I've minimalised the problem, now all I need is to be able to restart the 3 main servers so they will take effect :roll: Might have to wait until tomorrow morning to do that...

Penguin
13-07-05, 03:21 PM
Just went on and it seems a lot better for me. However, before I hadn't done the memory tweaking for CSS, so that may be the reason why I was getting good gameplay.

McBain
13-07-05, 03:31 PM
What tweaks have you made?

I've just restarted the Custom map server with the new settings, it takes a lot more CPU power now, but I think it is much better. There is only a very small amount of jitter, I don't think it is even noticeable unless your trying hard to spot it.

Penguin
13-07-05, 03:38 PM
I tweaked around a bit more with my cl_udaterate, and added -heapsize 524288 to the launch options of CSS.

However, I re-installed CSS and played on the cutom map server with, somehow, only 50% of the game :s and it seemed almost perfect.

wintermute
13-07-05, 09:32 PM
And CS does not just use the GFX card.. ther processor (quite rightly) has quite a lot of work to do...

I never said it didn't, I was replying to the following Skavornish which maybe wasn't clear:

the detail in some maps are higher than other so the rendering uses up more CPU?

Do we know what the memory usage is like on the DS? If it's hitting swap then that might cause intermittent jitter.

Rob

McBain
13-07-05, 09:35 PM
Usually has around 400-500 meg of RAM free...

It is now bouncing from 80-100% CPU most of the time, and I've only 'tweaked' the custom map server. I perhaps should lower the levels a little.

wintermute
13-07-05, 09:48 PM
Is that actual physical RAM? It's not using swap at all? In that case it's probably worth applying the registry tweak which forces it to keep all the OS components loaded in physical memory.

Rob

McBain
04-08-05, 10:29 PM
So there's been a steam update tonight, the fixes include -

# Fixed prediction errors on the client when navigating
# Fixed bug where server sent updates slower than specified in cl_updaterate
# Fixed prediction errors when cl_updaterate is a large number
People who turned off cl_smooth should re-enable it after this release.

I'm playing now and all seems smooth as a baby's bum! :) And to think, I nearly did a reinstall of my whole machine yesterday :roll:

Sc00by
05-08-05, 03:29 PM
Odd, cos the entire Dust2/Office server population is complaining of LAG... In a big way.

Crippler2032
05-08-05, 03:33 PM
i would assume its the bet script things again...

Sc00by
05-08-05, 03:53 PM
yeah - all 3 servers are pretty much unplayable atm. Me thinks that the betting mod thing is causing problems after the server has been up for a while.

Needs killing and soon...

Scar@b
05-08-05, 04:08 PM
Been playing on your Custom Map server for the last few days & have to say not seen a problem at all. - Seems to be a pretty stable server compared to a lot out there.

McBain_PDA
05-08-05, 06:58 PM
Sc00bs, if they need restarting, can you not just do it?

It might be matties scripts in general, maybe we should make sure they get restarted every morning?

Sc00by
05-08-05, 07:06 PM
not really wanting to restart them during 'prime time' and wasn't sure if you wanted to take the scripts off or amend them or whatever...

We should be able to script the restart?

McBain
05-08-05, 10:03 PM
But if they are unplayable, they just need doing? If people are playing on our servers for 10 minutes, thinking 'bloody hell, this is the lagiest server I've ever played on!' then we've lost someone forever. If they are laggy, most times people are grateful for a restart that will fix them.

At this point, we can't be sure the scripts need removing. Like I said, I was playing last night and all was the smoothest its ever been...