PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Mp3

Lestat
14-07-05, 02:29 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/14/mp3_tenth_birthday/

man I feel old

McBain
14-07-05, 03:10 PM
The oldest MP3 I have is dated 17/7/1999... I guess I wasn't too far behind. :lol:

Sc00by
14-07-05, 03:12 PM
Happy Birthday Mr 'Most-popular-free-downloaded-music-format'

It's caused a few changes in the world of Music hasn't it? I wonder if any of them have actually been positive :? (thinking more of the Industry! Obviously the big positive has been free music for the masses, but i'm sure that the quality of music hasn't got any better. Indeed the reverse seems true. does the fact that it's harder to make money out of the industry due to the prolification of MP3s and piracy mean that some people who may have ventured into music didn't and we missed the next (5 or 6?) big thing? Though really, who cares? ))

Lestat
14-07-05, 03:55 PM
I don't think we missed much you can put down at least 50% of stuff to be crap striaght off. And CD sales Never took a dip they have always been on the increase.

Sc00by
14-07-05, 04:28 PM
Just thought I'd see if I could spark a row ;)

*Picks up trolling kit and moves on*

wintermute
14-07-05, 10:21 PM
I think it's more likely that the big record companies saw this 'intrusion into their market' and responded by taking fewer risks in order to maximise short term profit. At least these days the 'next big thing' can record their album with relatively inexpensive kit, remix on a standard home computer and publish to the world without much capital outlay. If self publishing picks up some steam it won't be long before we see 'Google Music'.

Rob