PDA

View Full Version : New Counter Strike Physics!

Mitsukuu
21-08-05, 06:24 AM
I hope that title caught your eye :wink:

Ok I was browsing around earlier, and I found something really quite clever. As much as I'd like to take credit for this, I can't, but I will do the next best thing and provide it to you.

Basically, we all know that the physics in Counter-Strike have some major flaws. Namely, that there is no momentum for entities/invalid entities (players and dead players). This makes for dull 'falling off the roof' and practically slow motion death scenes. Well, not anymore!

Some bright spark thought up the idea of taking the Half-Life 2 player physics, and using them with CS. This is a perfectly legal exchange, and it does not in anyway affect the gameplay in terms of equality of fairness. It's really worth a try, and you get some really 'interesting' occurances while using these physics.

For example, on assault I entered the front door and placed a shot in the head of a terrorist entering the warehouse from upper back door - he literally flipped head over heels and fell over the railing, and, had I seen him falling, it would have looked far better than the normal CS physics, as players die realistically. McBain has said he doesn't mind hosting some of my skins, and so i'm sure we can arrange something about providing this, since it really is worth it (for such a small filesize).

Happy hunting!
Mitsukuu.

McBain
21-08-05, 06:40 AM
Sounds interesting. Anything you want hosting, zip them up and mail them over. I'll get them uploaded.

Skavorn
21-08-05, 02:51 PM
Am I hearing correctly; better CS Source physics? Or adding physics to the original counter-strike?

Niax
21-08-05, 05:34 PM
adding source engine physics to counter strike 1.6 is the way i read it

Skavorn
21-08-05, 06:01 PM
thought so....

Scar@b
21-08-05, 06:39 PM
We had this on a server we had for some time - basically you get shot & you fly back 20 feet - looks really funny.

If you want to know the rcon commands let me know & I will have a word with one the guys.

S

Mitsukuu
21-08-05, 06:44 PM
No - that's not it

These physics are for CS:S. I've given a copy to McBain, and he is trying them today.

McBain
21-08-05, 10:05 PM
You can download them from here (http://www.nurcs.com/files/mits/HL2Physics.zip). Not had chance to try them myself yet...

Monkfish
23-08-05, 12:48 AM
They're an improvement over the default ones but they just seem too..."light" and bouncy, there's no weight to them. I wouldn't leave them out in a high wind, might blow away :P

pitchblack
23-08-05, 01:09 PM
where excatly do i put these files

Mitsukuu
23-08-05, 01:16 PM
where excatly do i put these files

Read the readme. It's in there, but, i'll tell you anyway.

Like ALL the other zip files I will ever provide for skins/upgrades etc, you unzip the contents of the zip folder to:

"../SteamApps/(YOUR EMAIL)/counter-strike source/cstrike/"

pitchblack
23-08-05, 01:19 PM
yea but do i leave them in the folder

Mitsukuu
23-08-05, 01:24 PM
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. The contents of the zip folder will overwrite the physics files in your "cstrike" directory. You CAN delete the zip folder, but I suggest you keep it if you like them, since if you need to reinstall you won't lose them. That's all there is to it.

Does that answer your question?

pitchblack
23-08-05, 01:26 PM
nope not at all but dont worry think i figured it out :thumbs:

Mitsukuu
23-08-05, 01:29 PM
Can you tell me what it is? If there's a problem i'll need to fix it to stop others from having it as well. Thanks, hope you enjoy them anyway. :thumbs:

pitchblack
23-08-05, 01:50 PM
no problem i thinks its just my ignorence

McBain
23-08-05, 09:25 PM
It made perfect sense to me when I looked at the readme, I'm not sure what pitch didn't understand. We'll see if anyone else has any problems. :)

pitchblack
23-08-05, 09:53 PM
I think it was just my dam stupidness :)

Mitsukuu
24-08-05, 06:40 AM
Does anyone else have any views on them? Monk said he felt they were too light and bouncy. I didn't really feel this way, but it would be interesting to know people's opinions.

Sc00by
24-08-05, 07:02 AM
Have to confess - Not installed them. I'm OK with the 'standard' physics.

Mitsukuu
24-08-05, 01:38 PM
Have to confess - Not installed them. I'm OK with the 'standard' physics.

You should confess in a place of worship. I can't guarantee your safety for confessing here :wink:

I recommend you try them anyway, just to see. Make sure you make a back-up of the original files, otherwise if you want them back you might have to re-install.

Might be an idea to add that to the Readme, McBain.