PDA

View Full Version : Mod in the Making

Mitsukuu
23-08-05, 02:11 PM
I'm happy to inform you that me and a friend have started making a single player mod for Half-Life 2. We're going to try to stay faithful to the original game, same storyline, similar locations and of course lots and lots of combine.

However, rather than being a one man hero (Gordan Freeman) attempting to over-run legions of elite troopers and blitz the citadel, the mod places you into a different setting. The story line is more of a sub-plot of the original game, and we're hoping it has all the elements needed for giving you those "Oh my god this isn't happening" sensations in the original game.

We're already thinking about things such as porting some of the Counter-Strike: Source weapons into this mod (Although they will likely be custom models/skins and sounds). Possible changes include 'gestapo' style combine forces wielding MP5s or possibly IMI Galil's rather than the MP-7 or Combine Overwatch Rifles. This is in very early stages yet, and I will need to get my friend to introduce himself on these forums so he can explain it from his point of view, since he has done pretty much everything on it up to this point.

There are a few screenshots of a really excellent City 17 scene he's created in Hammer, and i'm sure he won't mind me posting it here. If people are interested, i'll keep this updated, and hopefully, I will be able to get my friend to add to the post count as well.

We may need ideas! So please be ready to lend us your thoughts! :shock:

Mitsukuu

pitchblack
23-08-05, 02:46 PM
Can we have one of the auto sniper and have writen on it some think like"why are you using this nOOb".

Mitsukuu
23-08-05, 02:54 PM
I can make one for your CS if you like, although I don't think we were planning on having any kind of semi-automatic sniper rifle in the mod. I'm pretty sure that most of the weapons will be from HL2, although, we know that in reality the skins aren't particularly well done, and the configs for them are a little weak (god damn the MP-7's file!). It's one of the things we'll have to think about.

Sc00by
23-08-05, 03:02 PM
Just keep the gravity gun! That with the saw blades in Ravenholm was some of the best fun I've had in a computer game for ages!

Mitsukuu
23-08-05, 04:21 PM
Just keep the gravity gun! That with the saw blades in Ravenholm was some of the best fun I've had in a computer game for ages!

Looks like there'll be plenty of crowbarring and anti-gravity antics. I REALLY want to make some custom sounds for the crowbar.

Currently:

Crowbar + Combine Helmet = *plink*

Hopefully:

Crowbar + Combine Helmet = *THUNCK*

"Worst of all, they changed the crowbar from a claw of death to a paw of discomfort."

-Extract Source: Planet Half-Life (http://www.planethalflife.com)

McBain
23-08-05, 09:32 PM
Sounds interesting. I'm not a massive fan of any single player game tbh :( But make sure you keep us informed :thumbs: I'm sure folk will have opinions to offer when necessary :)

Ubiquitous
24-08-05, 06:01 PM
Hi guys, I've been discussing this mod with Mitsukuu for a while and she has invited me to come here to say a little more about it.

City 17 is once again the backdrop to a story of good versus evil in a plot which borrows from film, literature, game and real life alike. You play our intrepid hero

Niax
24-08-05, 08:36 PM
looking very nice...i wouldn't mind any extention of the half life story-line, i just love the story :)

Skavorn
25-08-05, 12:19 AM
...shame it finished so randomly

Mitsukuu
25-08-05, 01:05 AM
...shame it finished so randomly

Isn't that "Aftermath's" job?

Mitsukuu
27-08-05, 02:07 PM
Ok, just a small update:

We are planning on making a CS:S map first, to test some our ideas for some areas in the Reciprocity mod. So far, the CS:S map will resemble a CQB urban environment, with some exterior, and interior settings. Imagine the apartments at the beginning of HL2 with some outdoor action, and that's what we're planning.

There are a few things we are testing, the one that interests me the most is that we are working on a way to use charges (possibly even grenades) to blow a door from it's hinges, and across a room/corridor. We're almost certain we can get it so a triggered event will do this, but getting grenades to blow weak doors from the walls is a little trickier.

Here's how it works so far:

A trigger, such as a button, is pressed/used. This removes the hinges from the door. Half a second later, it also triggers a small explosion on one side of the door, throwing it inwards. Basically, removing the hinges turns the working door into a door shaped prop - the same as bits of metal you can pick up with your grav gun on HL2. If there was no explosion, it would simply fall over and lay on the ground.

The problem with grenades is this: We need to find a way to make the hinges break when the door takes damage. We're hoping (in theory this will work) that we can set a trigger to break the hinges when the door entity takes X amount of damage from a grenade. If anyone thinks they could help with this, please post here.

Lastly, does anyone know if it is possible to add a probability factor to an event in hammer? For example, setting it so that there is a 10% chance of an entity existing in the map.

I'm sure we'll be able to get it to work, but it would be nice if anyone with knowledge of this came forward, as it would speed our progress greatly.

Thanks for help in advance, and we'll post more here if anything else is updated! :thumbs:

helios
27-08-05, 09:29 PM
just thinking about your grenade problem, couldn't you set a trigger so that if a grenade lands within a certain distance oif the door, the hinges break?

The problem with your idea is that the hinges will break after the nade has gone off, and will just fall over.

Mitsukuu
28-08-05, 07:23 AM
Yeah, your method is one which we are trying out. As for the door just falling over, it's possible the grenade could also trigger a phys_explosion. It's an invisible explosion that pushes objects away from it at a set force. Hopefully it won't take too long to get this to work (and look good). I'm certain it's possible. What do you think about it being implemented into a CS map though?

helios
28-08-05, 11:18 AM
hmm, it should work in CS. The precident for scripting moving objects is there, and the phys explosion is a good idea.

Mitsukuu
28-08-05, 01:05 PM
What do you think of the concept itself though? I'm thinking it would be irritating if all the doors were set like this, as it would just be spam-chaos. Or do you want that? The original plan was to have one door set up to pre-explode (or be destroyed by a grenade) at a key entrance point for the apartment. The other doors were stable, as always. Remember, the map is going to be based around the apartments in Half-Life 2.

Of course, there will be a lot of changes to allow for more balanced gameplay in CS. We've decided gameplay should come before setting, so don't worry, we are thinking along those lines :thumbs:

Anyway, back to the door - Do people want this to be:

A) Not there at all
B) Only destructable using a set device
C) Only one door destroyable by this and grenades
D) All doors destroyable by grenades

McBain
28-08-05, 03:02 PM
I'll be honest, I really don't give a monkey's how the doors are opened, I'm not quite sure why its of such importance? Is there nothing more 'meaty' you want opinions about? :)

Mitsukuu
28-08-05, 03:08 PM
There'll be a KEBAB HOUSE opposite the main apartment building. That meaty enough for you? :D

helios
28-08-05, 05:07 PM
As long as the kebabs are vegitarian, they're meaty enough for me :D

Mitsukuu
28-08-05, 05:22 PM
We've made a nice start on the CS map :)

Well, one floor of the apartment building. It looks very nice - but we're having a little difficulty with the lighting. Once we get it worked out i'll post some screenshots. Looking good though :thumbs:

pitchblack
28-08-05, 05:35 PM
As long as the kebabs are vegitarian
Kebabs don't eat. :wink:

McBain
28-08-05, 09:08 PM
Vegetarian Kebab... what would be the point of that :roll:

[OLSC]Fizban
29-08-05, 09:07 AM
There would be fewer vegetarians about? :-)

Fiz

McBain
29-08-05, 09:30 AM
Ahh, I like your thinking Fiz ;)