PDA

View Full Version : Only In The Movies

McBain
24-08-05, 10:08 PM
Reasonably amusing, 40 things that only happen in the movies (http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/features/20moviethings.htm).

8. Should you wish to pass yourself off as a German officer, it will not be necessary to learn to speak German. Simply speaking English with a German accent will do. Similarly, when they are alone, all German soldiers prefer to speak English to each other.

helios
24-08-05, 11:23 PM
ya, ve vill invade and zey vill never know ze difference.

Now, that is one RANDOM link, please tell me you have more? :D

Mitsukuu
24-08-05, 11:28 PM
Reasonably amusing, 40 things that only happen in the movies (http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/features/20moviethings.htm).

8. Should you wish to pass yourself off as a German officer, it will not be necessary to learn to speak German. Simply speaking English with a German accent will do. Similarly, when they are alone, all German soldiers prefer to speak English to each other.

Or, for the intellectual spy:

"Papiere gefallen!" >> "Ja... Hier sind sie. Alles Klar?"

That's probably the most i've ever heard.

Skavorn
25-08-05, 12:16 AM
The title in the broswer says 20 things never seen in the movies....apart from that little error.....they were fantastic.....

Just goes to show what directors do to make a film exciting

Sc00by
25-08-05, 06:29 AM
I've seen a version of this with 100 items in the list, but for the life of me I can't remember the other 60... :(

Good stuff though. I wonder where you can buy 'L' shaped duvet covers?

helios
25-08-05, 08:20 AM
And L shaped Duvets for that matter......

Mitsukuu
25-08-05, 08:29 PM
Has anyone seen the TV programme "Myth Busters"?

It's awesome! They got like ten guys with assorted firearms to open up on a car with a full petrol tank. The presenter (Who I think was using an S-G3) put at least four holes in the car's petrol tank, and it didn't explode. It's more about watching two science nerds blow stuff up, but it's quite a fun programme, I recommend it, if it's still running.

pitchblack
25-08-05, 11:02 PM
sounds a bit like braniac, blowing caravans up though.
BTW mobiles don't blow up petrols stations ,static does.

SpyHunterUK
25-08-05, 11:50 PM
Another thing in the movies - guns dont kill people, they can somehow sustain several bullet wounds without hitting an artery or vein and can still move commando style really fast and with no impedement :/ (sp?)

Probably even some idiot somewhere thats copied the movies and shot themselvesor even believed TV. When I did research for a House debate (Films do not cause violence, but hard to argue :/) , I found out that someone in New York went into A&E there (a gang member who'd been shot) who was complaining about how much pain he was in, because they were never in this much pain on TV. :roll:

pitchblack
26-08-05, 09:35 AM
Guns do kill and injure people, just not the main people or the good guys.
I mean look at James Bond, he does accualy die in one of the books but they just won't kill him in the films.

helios
26-08-05, 09:53 AM
sounds a bit like braniac, blowing caravans up though.
BTW mobiles don't blow up petrols stations ,static does.

Mobiles can cause explosions, the RF frequency it high enough, but it has to be very close to the petrol.

And, the benifits of deasel - it doesn't explode :D (so in the movies, all those deasel trucks blowing up when shot, utter bull).

pitchblack
26-08-05, 10:47 AM
Nope as shown on tv it did not blow up.

helios
26-08-05, 11:00 AM
just because it didn't, doesn't mean it can't. Winter Petrol Mix is morelikely to explode because of RF signals than the Summer mix.

And, don't believe everything you see on the Telly :D

Mitsukuu
26-08-05, 05:44 PM
I've seen programmes like that 'braniacs'. It claims it's educational, but it's really quite the opposite. It's pretty much teaching kids that you can try something once, and base all of your results on that single test, ignoring any counter-argument.

It's like saying, you can run across an empty road blindfolded and not get hit by a car: Therefore, you can run across a road blindfolded, and never get hit by a car. I'd love to see them do that experiment, then watch the lawsuits come flying in. It'd be great.

pitchblack
26-08-05, 06:16 PM
But then again they ain't there to teach their there to get veiwers.

Mitsukuu
26-08-05, 07:49 PM
But then again they ain't there to teach their there to get veiwers.

Yeah, that's the reason, but it doesn't justify it. It has an unofficial "you will learn something watching this" tag, when in truth, you're actually being misinformed. For example, a kid might completely ignore the fact that mobile phones can ignite petrol, and they can. That's potentially VERY dangerous, and personally, I think they should at least have a very clear disclaimer stating that none of it should be taken literally, as well as no contradictions to this statement by the presenters.

pitchblack
26-08-05, 08:17 PM
Yeah but i'm sure that a kid isn't going to try it theirself.

wintermute
26-08-05, 09:09 PM
It's like saying, you can run across an empty road blindfolded and not get hit by a car: Therefore, you can run across a road blindfolded, and never get hit by a car.

Ah yes, isn't natural selection a wonderful thing? :)

The general point here is that watching TV, or movies, or reading is not a substitute for thinking.

Rob

pitchblack
27-08-05, 11:05 AM
No it's bad parents not teaching their children common sence,(probaly because the parent doesn't have any, stupid world, full of dumbasses.)

Mitsukuu
27-08-05, 11:44 AM
No it's bad parents not teaching their children common sence,(probaly because the parent doesn't have any, stupid world, full of dumbasses.)

Nature VS Nurture, eh?

The age of critical development in a child is when it is a child, between the ages of 18 months and five years (I believe). As we get older, we become less impressionable, and, although we are better equipped to understand the world around us, we don't learn as fast as we would when we are children. Hence, children will quickly pick up information fed to them by means of their surroundings:> Television, Radio, Parents, overhearing converstations, visual recognition and the like. Most GOOD parents, will be working, attempting to provide for their children financially - because it costs. The best way to stop a kid from sticking his/her fingers in a plug socket is to keep them entertained. Ah, the wonders of Television!

In fact, as a parent, you would look at a show, such as 'Braniac' and think - "Great, my kid wants to watch a programme about Science!". The child will likely be misinformed about an important even, through the medium of the 'box' and may put itself at risk in future as a result. This is NOT bad parenting. You can very easily label something as bad parenting, when it's not.

Bad parenting is beating your kids for no reason, beating them without an explanation, not feeding/caring for them and the like. Parents don't have time to investigate every potential subliminal-message their child is recieving, otherwise they wouldn't be able to do the things keeping them a good parent. You can argue this all you like, but the bottom line is:

If a popular science programme offers misinformation, such as "mobile phones can't ignite/cause fires in petrol stations" then it is dangerous. Personally, I want either one of two outcomes:

A) The presenter is burned alive whilst using a mobile phone in a garage.

B) They are forced to make a public apology, stating "The information broadcast on the television programme Brainiac (and other misinformative programmes) was incorrect. We are very sorry for any inconveniance caused, and we promise not to feed you anymore BS unless it has a certified "BS Science for entertainment" logo attached." Every time the show came on, they'd have to announce the previous statement, as well as clearly stating before every experiment (that was potentially dangerous/incorrect) "The results of this experiment mean nothing, and if you are injured as a result then it's your own fault".

If after that your child runs blindfolded into the road, well, I won't be braking for them (Well, only if I think I can get away with it, i'm not putting my ass in danger for your kids.) As Rob said, TV is not a substitute for thinking, and if someone doesn't understand the above statement, they literally deserve to be removed from the gene-pool (disregarding non-English speakers).

Sorry for such a long post to a short statement, but I really feel strongly about this. So much information we intake is subliminal, even if it isn't intended that way, and for children it really can be dangerous. I'm sick of seeing parents blamed for letting advertisements 'poison' their children to the extent that pester-power wins over common sense. It's frankly ludicrous. You should consider what you say very carefully, because although you only made a small comment, it's a very big issue.

Sc00by
31-08-05, 09:31 PM
Are we talking about a program that labels it's self - Brianiac: Science Abuse? Which idiot thinks that it's going to be educational?

It's about blowing things up... Not educating in any way, shape or form and anyone that things otherwise should be attempting to run across the M25 wearing a blindfold...