PDA

View Full Version : Rates

McBain
27-08-05, 12:36 PM
I understand that your 'rate' in CSS defines how much data is sent back and fourth between you and the server, but what exactly are the correct sort of ranges and what happens when rates are set outside these ranges?

A very low rate means a lot of shots on you wont register, is this right?

When I'm on our servers I often check what people's rates are set too and they are usually between 10k and 20k although I saw someone with 30k today?

There is a plugin that will force people to use rates we want. Is it worth it?

helios
27-08-05, 12:40 PM
yes, and no. I need some non-standard rated (cl_cmdbackup and cl_resend) to get stable play. The plugin Might edit these on the client, which may render it unplayable for certain people.

The rate also depends on the connection. Dialup will be low (maby 5,000) with broadband, they should be between 10,000 and 25,000

McBain
27-08-05, 12:44 PM
No, it purely checks a persons 'rate'. If it falls outside of the predetermined settings they are asked to change them, if they don't it kicks them.

helios
27-08-05, 09:24 PM
fair enough then, if it only does rate, then go for it.

Non-standard rates can screw the server, BUT, we would probably be excluding dial up users.

I have played on our servers with dialup, had to set my rate to 7000, and i had a ping of 130, but it was playable.

Question is, do we want to exclude dial up users from using our servers?

McBain
28-08-05, 07:31 AM
I found this on ED -

[quote:47045abef5]We get such topics daily, and althought the poster may be new to ED's forums, please bear in mind us regular users have read scores of identical threads already. Soooo.. we use this thread to explain what Rates and Tickrates are and what (if any) the ED rules/guideline are, and lock any other threads concerning them. You have been warned.

Rates Rates is a word which CSS players use to refer to a small number of commands that can be changed by the CSS player to improve hit registration and performance. These are listed here, along with a short decription. These 3 commands are commonly referred to as 'rates'. If asked 'what rates do you use', you would reply something like "20000/100/100" which refers to what you have set for the below (in order). All defaults refer to broadband rates. rate = sets a maxiumum limit of bytes per second the client can send the server cl_updaterate = updaterate defines how many updates per second you can get from the server cl_cmdrate = defines how many updates per second you send to the server Ideally, you want these as high as possible, the more updates sent and received from the server, the more accurate the server will know your position in the game world. The more accurate your position, the better you bullets will appear to register. incidentally, maximum rate command is 25000, so anything higher is pointless. Default updaterate is 30, default cmdrate is 20. Most CSS players prefer to use something between 50-100, however it entirely depends on the individual and their connection, setup & circumstances. Please note, Enemy Down does NOT enforce any minimum or maximum rate values. You are expected to use rates appropriate to your connection. There are many circumstances where clans claim conflicts/defaults on the basis of another clan using default rates. This is not grounds for conflict. We cannot enforce such rules, as default broadband rates are entirely appropriate for certain connections and setups.

Choke & Loss - Nicked from the CS 1.6 article, but a good explanation so I'll use it. Choke tells you the number of updates not sent in either direction because the communication link is saturated. Loss tells you the number of updates which were sent but never reached their destination. Choke is more important than loss because you are flooding the connection and it can

McBain
28-08-05, 08:55 AM
I just came off the (full) assault server, two guys had rates of 3000 and 3500. I did give a very public warning that they should raise their rates, but no-one seemed that bothered and they ignored it. I wasn't going to take it any further, just thought it interesting...

One had a ping of 70 and one aping of 30... so neither really suffering to badly in that respect. How much advantage do they really get using 3000?

Mitsukuu
28-08-05, 09:18 AM
If you encountered them, were they difficult to hit? Did you empty half a mag into them without hitting anything? Normally it's the registry that suffers, but it can also cause players to appear as though they are lagging. All ping means is how long it takes the connection to reach the client and the server and back. If they're only sending half the packets needed for a smooth game, it won't show on the ping, but it may have the same effect as though their ping was high. I would think 3000 is pretty low... it might cause some problem, but I may be wrong on that.

Also rather than checking ping via the latency tab in the scoreboard, you might want to try typing "ping" into the console. It gives a much more accurate latency than the scoreboard. You can also check your own ping/rates with "net_graph #". 1-4 different graph settings, 0 disables it. It also shows FPS.

McBain
28-08-05, 10:21 AM
I mentioned their pings becuase people with higher pings actually have reason to lower their rates.

I didn't have any experience of shooting and not registering, I tend to have a look at people's rates as a matter of course. The one guy with 3000 was something like 11 and 2 though... How much of that was helped by his rates, I don't know, thats what I'm asking really.

Mitsukuu
28-08-05, 12:52 PM
I have recorded a video of someone who was using what seemed like very low rates.

I just changed my rates to: "rate 30000, cl_cmdrate 100" and "cl_updaterate 100" has always been that way. This is right? I want to confirm that this is not my problem, and these rates are the fairest and best gameplay.

If you can come to MSN sometime, I will send you the video, it's only about 30 seconds long or so, but it's quite revealing as to this potential problem (assuming that's the cause).

McBain
28-08-05, 09:58 PM
I've put on the rate checker, which will probably kick in overnight with the server restarts. The minimums are -Min rate - 8000
Min cl_update - 50
Min cl_cmdrate - 50

Max rate - 25000 (apparently anything above this makes no difference anyway...)
Max cl_update - 120
Max cl_cmdrate - 120Give me any feedback on how this script works :)

Mitsukuu
28-08-05, 10:33 PM
I've put on the rate checker, which will probably kick in overnight with the server restarts. The minimums are -[list]Min rate - 8000
Min cl_update - 50
Min cl_cmdrate - 50

I think this might cause a problem, since the default cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate are below 50, if I am correct, they are both at 30. There are a lot of people who don't know how to change them :?
What's the action taken if their rates don't meet the requirements?

nea
29-08-05, 12:20 AM
the defaults are 30 / 30

McBain
29-08-05, 08:20 AM
What's the action taken if their rates don't meet the requirements?

I tried it just now, this is what you get -

http://www.nurcs.com/images/rates_check.jpg

When you press 1 it adjusts your rates to meet the minimum. :thumbs:

Mitsukuu
29-08-05, 12:26 PM
Only problem I had was for the first few rounds the message didn't appear, and it booted me from the server twice. Looks ok now, my rates were too high :|

IXL
31-08-05, 01:33 PM
Lo McBain,

Mind telling me where you got your rate checker?

Seems like a good idea...

IXL

McBain
31-08-05, 02:00 PM
Its one of the Scripts for Mattie's Event Scripts.

http://www.mattie.info/cs/forums/index.php

It's come off for the moment while we try and find whats causing problems.

IXL
31-08-05, 02:55 PM
Cheers :)