PDA

View Full Version : the longest yard

Azreal
05-09-05, 08:36 PM
*minor spoilers*

After totaling his sugar-momma's (Courtney Cox) car on purpose, disgraced former football player Paul "Wrecking" Crewe (Adam Sandler) is sent to a Texas prison, where an evil warden (James Cromwell) has brought him in to coach an inmate football team that will serve to warm up a prison guard team for the season. Faced with training a ragtag bunch of cons that couldn't care less, Crewe finds help in a friendly smuggler (Chris Rock) and an old-timer (Burt Reynolds) who would like nothing more than to see the warden lose face in public.

Saw this film over the weekend, I must say I enjoyed it. however I got the feeling that the audience was lost during the actual football game , cause they didnt know the rules, but were still captivated with all the big hits and tackles. Also quiet a few guest appearence's by a few wrestlers ( Goldberg, kevin Nash ( who was quiet funny) and Steve Austin who plays a racist Prison gaurd and the teams RB . Also Micheal Irvin appears in it also as a wide reciever called Deacon Moss (hmm ?) and rapper Nelly who plays runningback Earl Megget.

I give this movie a 7.5/10

pitchblack
05-09-05, 08:47 PM
I've seen it it was ok but, if you don't like that sort of films you'll hate it, Not very funny for the people it had.

Sc00by
12-09-05, 08:04 AM
Saw this on Friday, which is when it was released over here so not sure how pitch had seen it already? :?
I really enjoyed it tbh. :thumbs: I think that those people with an understanding of the rules of football as played by our American cousins will enjoy the film a fair bit. For the rest of you; well there's some great one liners!

Even Mrs S enjoyed it! :shock:

I'll give it an eight!

Damn It Im Shite Tonight
12-09-05, 08:56 AM
Didn't they do a film just like this a couple of years ago? The english version was mean machines with Vinnie Jones and Jason Stathom, who btw, had the most godawful scottish accent I have evr heard!

Was there an American version as well?

Sc00by
12-09-05, 09:04 AM
Yes, there was the original Mean Machine, which was pretty reasonable, an english version, which I haven't seen and then this american remake of the original, which even has Burt Reynolds (complete with some dodgy plastic surgury) in it (he was in the original mean machine)

pitchblack
12-09-05, 03:16 PM
which is when it was released over here so not sure how pitch had seen it already

They way i see all my films, nomore said.
:wink:

nea
12-09-05, 05:41 PM
the orignal is funny, the younger burt reynolds was in it (as coach, if i remeber correctly), then good old vinny done "mean machine" for us in a football (soccer) context so we would understand it!!!

Then mtv thought hey we like doing film rip offs will do that film and add a few rappers (nelly, bizzare (D12), im sure theres a few g units in it too) to make it hot!! Chris rock is SO SO SO funny!!!

8/10

McBain
12-09-05, 06:20 PM
Burt Reynolds was the leading QB in the original. There are quite a few footballers in it too from what I hear, Brian Bosworth, Bill Romanowski, as well as Michael Irving...

Skavorn
13-09-05, 02:35 AM
still aint seen it yet....even tho I errr "have it" :side:

McBain
15-09-05, 05:55 PM
Watched this yesterday, pretty good... but I just can't buy Adam Sandler as an NFL MVP Quarterback... :?

Best bit of the film for me was actually Chris Rock and the light bulb, thought that was very clever. (Anyone thats seen the original will know what I mean)

Azreal
15-09-05, 06:50 PM
Adam sandler reminds me of JP Losman.

Crippler2032
21-09-05, 03:21 PM
Just saw this and thought it was VERY funny.

Lots of good laughs and you dont need to know the sport to find it funny, it does help to know who a few of the people are (Kevin Nash is very funny).

Overall great film if you wanna laugh your ass off