View Full Version : Watch TV in CS?
09-09-05, 05:42 PM
Ok, i've known briefly about this for a while now, but I never tried it out or anything. You can set up camera's in CS:S and HL2, connect them to a TV (or any brush surface) and view what's going on from the TV screen. Thought it was quite interesting, so I made a little test and it works.
I'm wondering if it's possible to parent the camera entity with an NPC or player so that you can see a 'shoulder cam' style action scene or something. (although this is pretty farfetched).
Has anyone else tried this or messed about with it? I might post a tutorial if anyone wants to learn how to do it, since i'm tired of writing it for individuals.
09-09-05, 06:31 PM
i tried to get a CCTV system working but it only showed the dev_monitor texture (the wierd looking thing) on the face of the brush that I painted it on ingame :(
09-09-05, 07:09 PM
Ok, i'll write a brief description of how to do it.
1. Make two rooms, one for the camera, and one for the player.
2. In the camera room, create an NPC entity, I used a Combine Soldier.
3. Create the point_camera entity and in the name box type: "Camera1". Use the 'Point At' tool to guide the camera's line of sight toard the NPC.
4. Now create a brush the size you want the monitor to be in the player's room. Make sure it's not placed so the it will show up on the camera. Using the Toggle Texture Application tool, paint the the front/main face of brush with the texture "dev/dev_tvmonitor1a". Now, with the face edit box still open, click the 'fit' button. This will stretch the monitor over the face of the brush, rather than tiling it.
5. Now using the Selection tool, select the whole brush being used as a television and then right click it. Now select the 'tie to entity' button, and make the whole brush into a "func_wall". In the name box type: "Television1".
6. Now you need to create the info_camera_link entity. This will act as a connection between the TV and the camera. It can be placed anywhere you like.
7. Double click the info_camera_link, and in the Camera Name box, type: "Camera1" or whatever you named your camera. Now, in the 'Entity whose material uses' box type: "Television1".
That should be it... Unfortunately, i'm pretty sure this method only works in HL2, but I know there is a way to make it work in CS:S. I'll post it here if I figure it out.
If you want to use the map I made to test it, just pm me or something. You can also have the VMF if you like.
11-09-05, 11:16 AM
cool, good luck figuring it out, i read about half of that and got confussed :?
but when you do figure it out for css i'll stick it in my assault map :D
13-09-05, 02:23 AM
if you can get it working in CS:S, does that mean you could set up a surveillance system on CS:S so you know where everyone is ;)
vBulletin® v3.8.4, Copyright ©2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.