PDA

View Full Version : Steam Update Problems 23/9/05

Penguin
23-09-05, 09:00 PM
As you have probably already gathered, the latest Steam update has b0rked quite a few things. It's also added a lot of new features, however.

Instead of bitching about "omg!!1111 my STEAm dOEsn;t work!111" I decided to post what is wrong atm, what is possibly going to go wrong (info from forums etc...) and what the current situation is that I know about.

Things I know:

-TS server is down. Server appears to be down
-LNY's CSS servers appear to have been updated- however, I believe they've been shut down for the mo (a wise decision in my opinion)
- Website was down earlier, it appeared the whole host's network went down. They all came up one by one about 20 minutes ago.
-Steam's forums was down at time of patch release, but is now back up.

Things I believe:

-Mani (CSS DS version) is b0rked via the latest update. Not had a chance to test this yet however, people on Steam's forum say it is. Possible cures: 1) Wait for update from Mani 2) Wait for fix from Valve 3) Switch to another admin plugin (Beetles mod).

Problems with patch:

- Any type of explosion triggers CSS crash
- HL2 Mod support is broken for some, if not all, users
- Possible Hostage problems. Unknown status about bots.
- High ping on servers for some people. May be caused by the latest update, may be other factors
- Server Out of Date message for some people.

I hope this will help anybody, from Lanarchy or not, figure out WTF is going on.

Cyph3rs
23-09-05, 09:14 PM
also about the HDR, HDR is NOT enabled, all the new visual effects was due to an engine enhancement. If you dont believe me on this, go into options and turn off HDR, and it will look exactly the same (muzzle flash lightin up hands and surrounding area's, realistic reflections and shadows, realistic lighting). This is because in the options it states "HDR maps only" currently there are NO HDR maps in CSS.

Penguin
23-09-05, 09:27 PM
Are you sure there is no HDR maps? Have they not even updated their standard maps? Because I got muzzle flash in some maps and not in others...

Cyph3rs
23-09-05, 09:31 PM
yes it was a engine update, but was not 100% updated so it doesnt show in some maps, but if u turn on HDR, then play office, theres a muzzle flash and everything, the turn it off, go play on office, and there is still a muzzle flash.

Cyph3rs
23-09-05, 09:33 PM
I HAVE FOUND THE ANSWER!! the reason all this crap is happening is that CSS only used to use direct x 8.1 (yes thats true) and the engine update fixed it so it used direct x 9, so to solve ALL these problems...:

Open steam, click play Games > Right click CS:S then go properties > Launch options > then put -dxlevel 81 in there. Hope this helps.

*EDIT* I found out this doesnt help everyone, only a minority of people, i will keep searchin for other ways to sort this crap until valve decide to do it. Personally, i cant make the weekend without CSS. :P

Sc00by
23-09-05, 09:40 PM
Can you find a reason why the servers won't restart? :(

I've updated all the servers, rebooted the server it's all sat on and I'm getting an entertaining C++ error as the map starts to load. This is on ALL 4 SERVERS so is not map specific. Please help me fix it before McBain notices... :side:

Exact error attached

The good news: The TS server is back up

Cyph3rs
23-09-05, 09:44 PM
ye, apparently mods runnin on the servers seriously interefere with the new update, if there is no mods runnin on it...i dont have a clue :(

*EDIT* i suppose what you could do, is delete everything (yes it sounds crazy) off the server, then only install what is required to run the server, no mods, and see if that works, then install the mods when valve sorts their shit out

helios
23-09-05, 09:46 PM
it **could** be mani. or the event scripts. or any of the other mods we run.

Frankley, this nnew update has borked 3rd party stuff, single player and multi player.

Sc00by
23-09-05, 09:53 PM
Well for the time being... Servers are down :( I will chuck an announcement up in a few minutes. I'm gonna leave it well aloone and wait for McBain to get back on Sunday. Atm I've done nothing more than run teh update script. I dont' wanna knacker it more by trying to fix it...

Cyph3rs
23-09-05, 09:54 PM
That error could be a few things, personnally i havent done alot of work in C++ but it could be its trying to acess a function that is conflicting with a similar function. Or the function has been deleted and is no longer available.

Penguin
23-09-05, 09:58 PM
but- however, Valve won't just leave it and say "oh, we wont fix it, we will make money by not fixing"

Sc00by
23-09-05, 10:02 PM
Yes I'll be keeping one eye open for an update and if anyone gets a steam update can they please post so I can get it on the servers ASAP!

Thank you

My google for answers isn't being very productive atm... :(

Penguin
23-09-05, 10:07 PM
Thank you very much sc00by :D

I think I have found a fix for third party mods (about to test). It used to say no gamesinfo.txt and crash.

as i posted in teh Half Life 2 forum, im posting here also so people will see it

1. Move ur sourcemod to the folder of the game it is for.
2. Create the same folder, only the folder of that mod and put it in the sourcemods.
3. Copy the gameinfo.txt from that mod, put it in the folder.

Gmod example

Gmod, move the ENTIRE gmod folder into the half life 2 folder.

Create a new gmod folder in sourcemods.

Copy and paste gameinfo.txt from gmod into sourcemods/gmod

Problem fixed!!

Took me less than one hour of messing around with stuff.

EDIT: works!!!! simpler instructions:

eg, you have Dystopia

1) Copy the "dystopia" folder in G:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\

2)Now paste that in G:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\penguin133\half-life 2

3)Now copy "gameinfo.txt" in G:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\penguin133\half-life 2\Dystopia
paste "gameinfo.txt" in G:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\Dystopia\ WITH NO OTHER FILES (so the only file in the original Dystopia folder will be gameinfo.txt)

Sc00by
23-09-05, 10:12 PM
ooooh! (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=6e4528e1c083d9eabbc34f8967fcb88a&threadid=340290&highlight=R6025)
I'm off to have a mess...

Sc00by
23-09-05, 10:15 PM
and the Dust server is UP!!!! I :rock: !!111oneelevendy...

[makes note to make a note of what I've done ;) ]

OK Servers are ALL damned unstable and WILL crash as they change maps. Nothing much I can do except remove mani apparently. I'm not prepared to do that without speaking to McBain (he's the main admin) so basically, baring a miracle, they will be down for most of the weekend - sorry... :(

EDIT

Server stats: Have not been lost, but are causing the crashes, the file has been renamed, so (hopefully) you will get your mani ranks back.

Penguin
23-09-05, 10:18 PM
nice one sc00bs :thumbs:

helios
23-09-05, 10:20 PM
that means all the stats are gone though...

and the banned users?

Penguin
23-09-05, 10:27 PM
did somebody make a backup of the ban list .txt file?

helios
23-09-05, 10:49 PM
bans are fine.

Sc00by
23-09-05, 10:51 PM
My post updated. please review... (bottom of previous page!)

helios
23-09-05, 10:56 PM
ok, there's been another update btw, might fix it ;)

It is supposed to fix 3rd party mods.

the 2 servers currently up seem to have survived map changes but are apparently laggy.

already had a couple of idiots on ordering us to fix our servers.

wintermute
23-09-05, 11:16 PM
As a short term measure, following a read of the thread on the Mani forums (http://www.mani-admin-plugin.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14524), we've turned off the stats in the config file and turned off the bots, as these seemed to be the main causes of the crash. Scoobs, if you're still up, do you want to have a go at installing this new update?

Rob

helios
23-09-05, 11:24 PM
also, when you try to use a mani command, it crashes

wintermute
23-09-05, 11:51 PM
Yep, that's what it says in the Mani forum thread, nothing to do there except wait for an update to Mani I think.

Rob

McBain
24-09-05, 08:04 AM
Mani has released a fix for his mod, I've just put it on the servers and started them up again. Stats are still disabled as I;m not sure if they've been fixed just yet.

The second steam update last night was apparently only a client fix, nothing to do with out problem :(

I'm guessing the Warcraft server wont play ball as it has Nemod on it too, for which I've not checked for updates yet.

Sc00by
24-09-05, 08:39 AM
As a short term measure, following a read of the thread on the Mani forums (http://www.mani-admin-plugin.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14524), we've turned off the stats in the config file and turned off the bots, as these seemed to be the main causes of the crash. Scoobs, if you're still up, do you want to have a go at installing this new update?

Rob

Sorry I'd gone to bed :( I realised that there wasn't a 10 minute fix available and rather than still be at it @ 3 AM... (I know... I'm not dedicated enough... ;) )

Having spoken to McBain this morning, the servers should be a lot happier now... :ele: :thumbs: (though the fixes come from him, not me - as you can see from the reply above ;) )

Cyph3rs
24-09-05, 09:25 AM
Ok guys, I've figured it out:

Open steam, click play Games > Right click CS:S then go properties > Launch options > then put -dxlevel 80

Then go options > video > advanced > then put shader detail to low.

Now CS:S is back to how it used to be. It will play and look how it did before the update.

Sc00by
24-09-05, 09:28 AM
That's great Cyph3rs, but it doesn't help us get some stable servers up...

During the spell that we had servers up last night, I didn't actually experience any client problems.

Cyph3rs
24-09-05, 09:34 AM
i know, im still tryin to find what you can do to get the servers stable, but alot of us is havin client probs, Stokes for example cant even open css.

*EDIT* I fixed stoke's prob :D. If anyone else, when they open CS:S, and the main menu doesnt show, Close your firewall. IF that doesnt fix it, I got another method thats more complicated, If anyone needs it, just ask. :)

z0na
24-09-05, 10:51 AM
well done, cypher

helios
24-09-05, 11:11 AM
its not closing your firewall, its letting the modified hl2.exe out.

one reason i don't run a software firewall.......

Cyph3rs
24-09-05, 11:30 AM
i know but different firewalls have different ways of leetin programs throught, so an easy answer is just to close it.

Sc00by
24-09-05, 12:45 PM
i know but different firewalls have different ways of leetin programs throught, so an easy answer is just to close it.

:wall:

Idiot: "Hey look this program can't access the internet!"
Idiot's mate: "Well just kill your limited protection from all the malware, spyware and bot attacks, that'll fix it!
Idiot: "Cheers dude!"

**1 month later**

Idiot: "Man my PC is nerfed, I can't browse the web, it's running like a 1976 Vauxhall chevette and all my email is being returned by messagelabs and spamhaus, etc..."
Idiot's mate: *runs away*

Top tip - if you have a firewall in place (and if you don't, think very carefully about why the hell not) LEARN HOW TO CONFIGURE THE DAMN THING

Sorry to anyone this post may upset, but... really... :ranting:

ArTFuL DoDGeR
25-09-05, 12:43 AM
ok i only just know how to configure of how to turn the PC ON and OFF so dont expect me to start configuring my firewall and runing PHP scripts blahdy blahdy blah.... cus i havent got a facking clue what your on about

i did what Cyph3r told me to do (is cypher the idiot in the last post sc00bs?) and my CS:S works so until somone tells me how to work CS:S with having to turn my firewall off everytime i want to play could they please tell me

Thanks Stokes

helios
25-09-05, 01:05 AM
lol, cyph3rs was the idiots mate :P

What firewall are you using?
Some where in it (quite noticable) there should be an "Allowed Programs" List. On this list, you will want to update the entries for hl2.exe and steam.exe.

The reason it has blocked it since the update is that the hl2.exe was changed when steam updated counter strike, so your firewall sees it as a different program.

Oh the joys of hardware firewalls.......

nea
25-09-05, 03:05 AM
id rather not play!! [hugs the firewall] HOTHOTHOT!!!!

Cyph3rs
25-09-05, 08:53 AM
ye all i do is everytime i play css i turn off my firewall to free up resources for the game, then when im done i turn the firewal back on. and plus another reason i said just to turn off your firewall while you play css is because like stokes said, he doesnt have a feckin clue what we are on about :lol:

oh yeh and sc00bs, that post was totally uncalled for.... :cry: :P

Penguin
25-09-05, 10:01 AM
lol, I've forgotten what it's like to have a software firewall :D

pitchblack
25-09-05, 10:48 AM
Yea mines is in my router and it doesn't seem to like hotmail and ebay

Penguin
25-09-05, 10:53 AM
:D I have a Smoothwall (http://www.smoothwall.org)

:lol:

Anyway, lets stick on topic from now on

pitchblack
25-09-05, 10:58 AM
lol ok is the new update out yet.

helios
25-09-05, 11:41 AM
yes, the new update came out friday

@cyph3rs - exposing yourself unfirewalled for even a short time is a VERY bad idea - learn to use ure firewall.

pitchblack
25-09-05, 12:31 PM
o ok, dont think i got it.

helios
25-09-05, 01:17 PM
if you can still play on our servers, then you got the update.

A few lucky people (myself included) have had no adverse problems from the update. Other people, hae had night mares, dropping from 100 fps to 10 fps (this is due to the HDR options, and the update optim isation assuming that it can bump up the detail settings.

Cyph3rs
25-09-05, 02:08 PM
I dont like using my firewall while i play css. anyway if i get a virus or somethin that i cant remove i just reformat my harddrive :P

helios
25-09-05, 02:34 PM
ya, well, some viruses are sneaky enough to not be detected once they are on ure comp, and those are the nasty one.

just, you never never never take any risks when it comes to security. Anything done on your computer, even if it is not you, you are responsible for.

back to topic, so far, no update for mani to get the stats working :(

MonkeySpunk
25-09-05, 05:41 PM
Well this update has totally screwed me, I've tried everything suggested even turning my firewall off (which scared me a bit), but every time I load up I get the loading screen and then it all goes black and my lcd monitor says "Mode not Supported".

Anyone else getting this problem or got any more suggestions??

McBain
25-09-05, 06:40 PM
Hmm. Go to the bit where you can add things to the CSS command line (haven't got CSS on laptop, maybe someone can explain what I mean) and try putting '-windowed 800 600' in there.

Basically CSS is trying to start in a res that your monitor can't show, so you need to be able to tell it to use a different res.

MonkeySpunk
25-09-05, 07:29 PM
Thanks man I'm back up and playing and getting killed :D

helios
26-09-05, 10:17 PM
ok, well there has just been another update done.

A small update has just been released which will correct a Source engine DirectX configuration problem. The DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime from Microsoft is required. When launching a Source engine game on Steam, users who don't have this latest version of DirectX will be directed to this page to get the installer.

wintermute
27-09-05, 10:30 PM
anyway if i get a virus or somethin that i cant remove i just reformat my harddrive :P

And in the time before you notice up until when you format your HDD how many other computers will you have infected? How many PCs, on average, do you think you come into contact with when you're playing CSS for 30 hours a week?

Rob