PDA

View Full Version : George A Romero's Land of the Dead

gob
08-10-05, 04:24 PM
I'm a big fan of zombie movies in general and especially the earlier films of Romero, the creator of the genre so i was looking forward to this a lot.

Zombies cover the world and outposts of humans raid towns for supplies to keep the rich in food and luxuries in their tower block owned and operated by Dennis Hopper.

This is well made, in general well acted and the sets are good. The zombies are fantastic and as the film goes on they learn to communicate in a basic fashion and work together. Not good!!

The make up for the zombies is again done by Tom Savini who makes a cameo (Savini may be remembered by some playing Sex Machine in From Dusk Till Dawn :thumbs:) and is top notch.

The one thing that is missing for me is a sense of menace. This for me was lacking as often the zombies are treated as figures of fun. I still enjoyed it but for me it wasn't up to last years Dawn of the Dead with Ving Rhames which itself was a remake of a Romero effort.

6.5/10

briktopp
09-10-05, 01:59 PM
i might check it out cos faye and i like zombie movies - dawn of the dead was cool -much better than i expected considering how lame zombies were when the genre started

Smokey
14-10-05, 04:15 PM
the problem with this for me was that it was too effects driven, the beauty of the original dawn was the fact that you could see these were actually people in make-up with ketchup squirting from their torn off limbs!!!!
good but lets get back to basics george!