PDA

View Full Version : Lost Coast Released!

Penguin
27-10-05, 11:37 PM
Just been released in the latest steam update :thumbs:

Sorry about the breifness of the post, I cant find the lost coast thread :D

nea
28-10-05, 12:20 AM
hey,

just about to shut down steam and the loast coast is updating!!

it took no longer than 5 mins to complete but shoot out the glass in the church!!! wow that sunlight is very very very cleaver!!! it looks so pretty!!

why didn t hl2 have all the pretty ness to it! i didnt listen t the chating but i think i may play hl2 again now!!

have fune ppl!! tell what u think about it!!

oh and everyone using a amd!! dont worry about the lil warning that ur cpu isnt good enough my 3200 barton played it well so tell the warning to ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh

BaDBoY UK
28-10-05, 12:22 AM
does this mean if we play hl2 itll have this lighting in it?

chuckwood
28-10-05, 05:09 AM
hey,

just about to shut down steam and the loast coast is updating!!

it took no longer than 5 mins to complete but shoot out the glass in the church!!! wow that sunlight is very very very cleaver!!! it looks so pretty!!

why didn t hl2 have all the pretty ness to it! i didnt listen t the chating but i think i may play hl2 again now!!

have fune ppl!! tell what u think about it!!

oh and everyone using a amd!! dont worry about the lil warning that ur cpu isnt good enough my 3200 barton played it well so tell the warning to ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh

Nea, you are drinking when you are writing this yes? :P :P :P :P :P

Gamith
28-10-05, 05:37 AM
>does this mean if we play hl2 itll have this lighting in it?
no -this is a tech demo for HDR (high dynamic range lighting)

ttfn

Lestat
28-10-05, 07:44 AM
I think drink may have been involved. It is intresting how it slowly becomes hard and harder to read. possibly vodka just kicking in?

[OLSC]Hitman
28-10-05, 08:24 AM
Day of Defeat: Source in the only Valve retail game that uses HDR. They have toned down the effects compared to Lost Coast, but it is still very impressive.

helios
28-10-05, 08:52 AM
mmm, well, after playing it for about 5 mins, and getting into the church and blocking the gun, the game srashed on me :(

looks good, nice, and clean though, pitty i can't run it at 1280x1024 with everything full.

bones
28-10-05, 09:43 AM
its such a shame! i would love to be able to run HL2 lost coast on full but it needs so much specifications!!!

it needs: i have:

2.2ghz 2.1ghz

1gb RAM 756mb of RAM

direct x 9
Graphics card Nvidia geforce FX 5200

good or bad?? :evil:

Sc00by
28-10-05, 09:53 AM
Not great...

helios
28-10-05, 10:05 AM
heck, my gaming rig has problems running it, and you can see the specs in my sig.

BaDBoY UK
28-10-05, 10:30 AM
I tried to run it at the maximum res with maximum everything (aa etc) and it only had an fps between 20 and 30 - which isnt great when I then want to record it with fraps which recuced the fps down to about 10 :(

My machine is ok but is itself gettin on a bit (see the new user register thread)

so i dropped it down to about 1300x1200 (something like that) and dropped aa and af to 4 and 8 (instead of 6 and 16) then it ran fine. I noticed that when saving, any dead figures appear to be standing up which was quite funny when i then tired shooting them because I thought they were a threat.

If it's ok with ppl, ill post some pictures of the game at my spec and see what you all think.

anyway, the game is awesome, and hdr is the future, so im guessin we'll need to buy a gcard that fully supports hdr, like the new 7800gtx or the very new x1800xt's but hey, who has got

BaDBoY UK
28-10-05, 10:47 AM
attached only cos i aint got bandwidth to put em on the web - i was runnin it at 1650:1080 at the tiime with 4x and 8x aa and af - but ive shrunk em down to 800x600 as requested :)

hope ppl like em cos ive got em as my wallpaper (constanly changing)

happy hunting

helios
28-10-05, 10:48 AM
it was alright, but it is more of an add for HDR than a game. It kept crashing out on me an i am fairly sure it is to do with the game wanting more than 1gb of ram.... :roll:

also, badboy, can you shrink those images?

BaDBoY UK
28-10-05, 10:49 AM
sorry about the initial 1650x1080 images guys - silly me :roll:

anyone know how to setup some space on yahoo for images? id like to post em there maybe for ppl to grab

HUNTER
28-10-05, 10:51 AM
it does look good:thumbs:

bones
28-10-05, 11:12 AM
wow! nice pics badboy!
looks sooo much beter than mine!

also Helious! ur game keeps crashing?
i have only got 756mb of RAM and it hasnt crashed once!

maybe u need to defrag ur pc or do a virus scan or sommit.....

[OLSC]Hitman
28-10-05, 12:29 PM
I only get an average of 60fps with everything on High on my PC! :banana:

Athlon X2 4400
BFG 7800 GTX
1GB PC3200

8-)

helios
28-10-05, 01:09 PM
@ bones - PCs fine, just seems to be an unstable game at times, with the settings i have anyway.

Skavorn
28-10-05, 01:35 PM
I think it looks fantastic......I cant really properly benchmark it.......coz my pc's been lagging on fifa06.....let alone half life 2 1600x1200 full setting......I ran it 1280x1024.......

Its got soem really fantastic effects I realy really really like the idea of looking at something dark....then something bright and its super bright then it tones down........wow, it's true and I never even really thought about it before.....I do like the reflections and the way they make the rocks look wet.....and the bloom effect is great....and they even wacked a doom 3 stylie flashlight, nice!!!! Spec-wise you've gotta have a phat system but I'd rather see a game so good even my pc can't run fully.....than to have all these games we've had over the past couple of years which I could run on my pc about 5 years ago......finally seems my upgrade was worth it

nea
28-10-05, 04:09 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:

Opppss!! a bit to much drinking i think!! close lestat, im more of a tequila man myself

Lestat
28-10-05, 05:07 PM
why does it say on mine not released yet, I wann play it waaaaaaaaaah

Simon
28-10-05, 05:32 PM
hey it actually runs ok with HDR on on 512mb of RAM

BaDBoY UK
28-10-05, 06:05 PM
Lestat I suggest you close Steam down altogether then restart it via the icon in the Steam folder - your platform will update and show HL2:LC as being released

worked for me

cheers

McBain
29-10-05, 08:47 AM
I guess its an interesting demo... or was interesting until I realised I was actually invulnerable :roll:

Sure, everything looks good. Is it really that mch better than what we already have? The only real thing I notice is the change from dark to bright, adjusting the levels to simulate the eye... but surely thats actually a really easy change of brightness... and besides, do we really want that in games? In real life I would prefer to be without the delay while my eye adjusts, why do I have to put up with it in a game now?

I did enjoy using the harpoon like gun though, pinning people to cliff sides with it :lol:

BaDBoY UK
29-10-05, 10:13 AM
Harpoon like gun????/ where on earth was that? are you refering to the crossbow with the hot iron bolts, because if not, please let me know where it was an Ill play the demo again.

as far as the demo goes, the only difference was the lighting effects - the physics of the world was still the same - boxes, paint pots, ricochets etc etc

anyway, as i was able to run it top whack (but only at 20-30fps) i got the full feel of the lighting effects which meant i appreciated fully what they designers were trying to do - hopefully half life 3 (or whatever they call it, if at all) will have this feature

just my thoughts - how about yours :?:

McBain
29-10-05, 10:24 AM
Harpoon like gun????/ where on earth was that? are you refering to the crossbow with the hot iron bolts
Yeah, I think that was it. A crossbow is harpoon like isn't it? :)

Sc00by
29-10-05, 10:28 AM
A harpoon would have some string attached to the bolt, cos you want what it hits to be able to be dragged back... It'll also have a barbed head (as above) A crossbow has neither of these things.

McBain
29-10-05, 10:37 AM
Minor differences tbh. I never said it was a harpoon, or the same as, just that it was 'harpoon like' :tongueout:

Sc00by
29-10-05, 10:41 AM
Oh yeah, I never said that you were wrong, was just pointing out that they are different things ;)

Anyway - back on topic, I've got this sat in my steam list of games, but I've completly failed to summon up the enthusiasm to play it. Someone sell ity to me ;)

McBain
29-10-05, 10:45 AM
I think its definitly worth a look, as its free after all. You can always remove afterwards. If they charged anything above 20p though, I would probably say don't bother :lol:

BaDBoY UK
29-10-05, 10:50 AM
lol you had me all excited that some sort of harpoon gun could be used, but that i'd missed it

scooby, the demo is just that, a 5 min (20 min on hard maybe) run through a small area showing off the splendor of in game lighting effects, and as McBain rightly pointed out, it free and well worth a look

I believe your computer is top whack so try running it at full settings and take some screenies and post em, let us see what other pc's are pushing out

Sc00by
29-10-05, 10:54 AM
My PC is far from top whack. If LC is that gfx intensive it'll probably reduce my PC to a puddle of plastic :?

BaDBoY UK
29-10-05, 10:56 AM
lol - i dont think anyone who hasnt got 3 grand for an alienware custom designed pc has 'top whack' pc anymore, but I though you got a high score with aquamark?? if not, my silly mistake

Sc00by
29-10-05, 11:00 AM
Nah my box is like 18 months old now (and won't be getting any mods for a good long while :( ) It was OK in it's day, but I could never get the memory (should be 400, is actually 333) synced up with the processor due to problems with the MoBo (which Asus did fix, but after I'd got rid of the 400 MHz memory :wall: ) so it's always run a little slower than it should.

BaDBoY UK
29-10-05, 11:04 AM
what mobo you got? mine is an asus P5AD2 Premium, onboard everything (so worth little extra at time) but mine is gettin on too now - coming up to her birthday of 18th Dec (sad that I know) :)

I custom built an alienware pc last night just for fun - came to

AGTDenton
29-10-05, 04:22 PM
There are tonnes of bugs in this demo!! Ive already found a level cheat, and if you quit to windows and back again you are invinsible :) or at least thats what happens with me. Its not crashed out on me Athlon 64 3000. I only play games in 1024x768. The graphics are definitely stunning and this is the real reason why the game was delayed, not the fact the code was stolen, it was an excellent excuse though.

Kbrothers
29-10-05, 05:05 PM
personnally i thought it was crap- how long did they spean making this? it lasted me 5mins at the most- jesus! yea i agree graphics amazing- but at the beginning u fall of the cliff onto the beach- y the hell do you then fight ur way through the town jsut to tkae the steel thing down to where u started?!??!?!?

id give it 4/10 simply for visual effects

[OLSC]Fizban
29-10-05, 05:27 PM
but that's the point it's a freebie to show off the visual effects...

Fiz

helios
30-10-05, 12:11 AM
what they spent the time doing kbrothers was recoding everything for HDR. the demo probably didn't take that long to make, but the graphical foundation did.

TBF, its a nice little continuation of the HL story, but it is full of bugs - save the game and all the dead bodies are standing up like un-spawned enemies, and random CTDs.

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
30-10-05, 10:28 PM
you can use the grav gun to pickup the old geezers harpoon, then use it to nail people to the wall with :)

Kbrothers
31-10-05, 09:13 AM
yea i did that 2- i managed to pin 2 ppl to the wall at once!

Penguin
31-10-05, 10:39 AM
yea i did that 2- i managed to pin 2 ppl to the wall at once!

:evil: beginners guide to the art of forum posting (http://www.lanarchy.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4126)