PDA

View Full Version : Steam-Worse than the toilet snorkel?

ArTFuL DoDGeR
07-11-05, 09:33 PM
After i attempted to run counter strike this evening i opened steam and it started to run a small update (as it frequently does) then when that finally finsihed i opened my games list and looked at all my games to find out they were all tagged as "Not installed". i tried to run CS:S but it came up with that major update that takes about 2 hours. After those two hours had passed i attempted to run CS:S again after restarting my PC, no affect it seemed that now steam wanted to totally reinstall CS:S. When that finally did finish i managed to miraciously open counter strike to find everything had been altered, so those skins that i had downloaded, gone :(

Could steam be a worse invention than that toilet snorkel?

Stokes

Edit: Steam has now decided it wants to download the update again! :x this is not looking very promising. :(

FIDDY
07-11-05, 10:03 PM
lol,
this does seem wierd but i have come to expect the unexpected with steam,
it was just made to f**k up css i think

pitchblack
07-11-05, 10:16 PM
When it wants you to redownload css try restarting steam.

Simon
07-11-05, 10:20 PM
Steam was around before CS: S so why would it be made to "f**k" it up? I have found Steam to be a solid system since it's first year with it's buggy release. Although, clearly the odd problem does occur...

Penguin
07-11-05, 11:06 PM
Yeah. I think people are too quick to insult steam. Partly this is because they see others doing it, who are too "noobish" to see what the actual problem is and find a way to fix it.

I have also found steam to be solid, I've only really encountered a few odd problems, one being related to some dodgy RAM (didnt even past POST when tested) that caused Windows to mess up. (Obviously, when it did I used FC3 more, which was perfectly happy :thumbs: )

Niax
07-11-05, 11:17 PM
steam is great for delivering content and doing the other things it does - however it did suffer a lot of bad press when it first started and it's still a tad buggy today - i remember the days when i had to use my dad's computer for steam cos steam didn't work with win 98 :)

McBain
07-11-05, 11:29 PM
Just gotta say... 10 out of 10 for the thread title :lol:

Hope you get your problems sorted.

On the subject of Steam, I agree, it is actually a reasonably good bit of software now. Sure there are still problems... all we can do is hope they iron out the last few bugs.

Lestat
08-11-05, 08:55 AM
Yeah I had that exact problem, It kept saying CSS needed to be installed. I just restarted steam and it fixed it.

Fat Tony
08-11-05, 10:45 AM
Steam was around before CS: S so why would it be made to "f**k" it up? I have found Steam to be a solid system since it's first year with it's buggy release. Although, clearly the odd problem does occur...

like simon i dont really get any problems with steam, it has been prettysolid with me. If you forget all the problems you're having with steam then you have to admit - steam is a pretty good system.

nice thread title btw.

dre
08-11-05, 03:37 PM
Steam is great i have never had any problems with it!!

ArTFuL DoDGeR
08-11-05, 03:57 PM
I can understand what you are saying now and i realised what i should have dont to fix it but i think i just got caught up in the moment and ended up doing something stupid. :(

I also have always complemented on steam to my friends saying it was a good reliable product and before now it has never messed up for me neither, but it looks like it all came at once for me and im not going to be able to make practice tonight :x

Stokes