PDA

View Full Version : Problems with the new Militia map

Kona
21-01-06, 03:02 PM
When i went on the new Militia map the other day it was working fine, with no problems. however today i came on only to find after one round my computer would freeze with nothing working to exit it or shut it down. :huh: Causing me to do a hard shutdown. This has hapend 3 or 4 times and each time i try to connect to the new Militia map. However this isnt a lanarchy server problem as i have the same trouble with other servers running Militia. So i have come to the conclusion that it must be somthing wrong with my computer files. I have uninstaled steam and CSS and reinstaled it with no effect to the problem. :(

I'm just wondering if anyone else is having similar trouble?
Or is there anyone that can offer any helpful advice with what i can do to correct the problem?

Waiting in anticipation Crouch :?

bones
21-01-06, 03:23 PM
i have not had this problem, crouch.
But i had a similar problem to yours: when i tried to connect to a server playing the de_nuke map, my pc would crash. i knew that that map uses HDR,
so i tried turning off HDR in options>video>advanced, and that fixed my problem.
so maybe you could try turning off HDR? that just might fix it. :)

ArTFuL DoDGeR
21-01-06, 03:52 PM
i have HAD this problem crouch but only once and it was the first time i played on the map, and i just thought it might be something wrong with the steam update, so after about 5 minutes i mangaged to get the task manager up and close CSS, i restarted steam and tried to connect again and it was fine.

Stokes

Kona
21-01-06, 05:07 PM
ok thanks guys. ive tried to do what you have said first bones. Except my HDR was already off however my system recomends to use it so i have switched it on and havnt had any problems yet and if i do ill let you know.

Thanks guys top job :thumbs:

bones
21-01-06, 06:10 PM
No problem crouch. anytime! im glad to hear its sorted now!

however my system recomends to use it
so does mine but i turn it off anyway. that little "*" means that your system can handle it. :D i mean to say if you put everything on low detail, it wouldn't be reccomened BUT IT WOULD WORK perfectly fine! :D
(please excuse the fact that i am becoming more and more like a teacher every year)

Kona
22-01-06, 06:28 PM
ok guys still having problems with the map. it does it somtimes however each time it hapens its when im watching another person after i die. Anyother help would be good thanks :thumbs:

helios
22-01-06, 06:51 PM
have you had a look at the steam forums to see if it is a kinown issue?

Otherwise, try turning your other settings down aswell.

ArTFuL DoDGeR
22-01-06, 06:56 PM
OK ive had this problem again so in total ive had it twice now, stil cant figure out why i may check my HDR soon but its not causing too much of a problem.

Stokes

bones
22-01-06, 07:40 PM
i bet its HDR! that map is already quite demanding and having HDR on as well is running your GFX card quite high.
but hey? i might be wrong......

Kona
22-01-06, 08:22 PM
Well i just bought a new pc and my graphics card is a 256mb ATI Radeon x600 so that should be able to handle it. ill try lowering all the visual deatails and also ill have a look at the steam forum thanks guys. :thumbs:

If anyone else has any other ideas it would be most apreciated.

Faith
22-01-06, 08:22 PM
Hi Crouch
So far I haven't had any major problems with militia crashing my computer or anything dodgy like that, all I've had is bad lagg occasionally. I have however had problems with steam not being able to remember servers in history and favourites, same as alot of other people which is a little annoying but it doesnt matter too much. I just hope it fixes soon. :)

Kbrothers
23-01-06, 10:44 AM
I know several people with this problem. And when i had to use ym dad's laptop to play css while my pc was being repaired it happend on all the regular maps that i played like cs_assualt. Basically, it is better to turn everything as low a possible and if that fails, may need to get a new graphics card. Alternately it could a problem in the file, but form my experience it has been that my 'craptop' just couldnt handle the size of the level and graphics it needed to run smoothly.

Stewie
23-01-06, 12:31 PM
I have no Problems with the New map. I works fine. Apart from the occasional Lag from other users it's fine.

bones
23-01-06, 01:27 PM
i think we have identifyed the problem! not good enough GFX card or PC specs!

Kona
23-01-06, 03:54 PM
k well the computer is quite new and havent had the time yet to customize it much but here are the specs for it;

Intel Pentium 4 630 Processor with HT
3.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB Cache
1024MB DDR RAM
200GB Hard Disk Drive
M-F Dual Layer DVD-RW + DVD-ROM Drives
256MB ATI Radeon X600 Graphics
Built-in TV Tuner + Remote
Wireless Keyboard + Mouse
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center
19" TFT Flat Panel Monitor

ArTFuL DoDGeR
23-01-06, 04:33 PM
well seeing as thats better than my computer and militia usually runs fine on my comp i cant see you putting it down to the specs of the computer i would say its probably something wrong with the confg but i dont know anything about that so im going to leave it there.

Stokes

Sc00by
23-01-06, 04:51 PM
The round time is too short, very difficult to pick off all the camping Ts and sneak in, rescue the hossies and get all teh way back to teh CT spawn (killing more camping Ts on teh way) in 3 mins...

ArTFuL DoDGeR
23-01-06, 06:12 PM
yes i have to admit almost every time the CT's have tried to rescue hostages they have lost by about 10 seconds, i think it needs to be increased by about 30 seconds.

Stokes

Stewie
23-01-06, 06:25 PM
I agree. 3mins is not enough time to get everyone in.

Penguin
23-01-06, 06:42 PM
but waiting 4 minutes while people camp is too much tbh :lol:
I have seen the objective been completed in 3 minutes without any camping :D

BaDBoY UK
23-01-06, 06:51 PM
Id say make it 3:30 (210s) to make it better. 3 mins flies on militia cos its such an interesting map - I have found myself tryna catch the fish and completely forgetting about the hossies - here little fishy fishy fishy :twisted:

FIDDY
23-01-06, 07:02 PM
lol, i like it when the fish die after you attack them!!!

ArTFuL DoDGeR
23-01-06, 07:08 PM
Fiddy sits there all 3 mins aiming at the fish from 50CM's away then runs out of ammo because he cant hit them :P

Stokes

FIDDY
23-01-06, 07:10 PM
lol,
shhhhhhh
*whispers* how did you know?

Sharky
23-01-06, 07:18 PM
hey crouch mate, i have the same graphics card as you and i have no problem on militia at all, so i think ur card can handle it fine, i have a 19" flat screen monitor and its running fine on 1280 x 1024 resolution, i not sure what the problem is ur having but i dont think it the graphics card! good luck with a solution!!

also i agree that the time on militia should be longer!!!!

Kona
23-01-06, 07:51 PM
Cheers sharky mate :thumbs: i think i figured it out its something to do with sound software or hardware. I have had a little fiddle with my direct X settings and i think that has done the job as it worked a minute ago. only time will tell.

bones
23-01-06, 08:12 PM
OMG!! I need a Doctor! i hurt my fish!!! its BLEEDING!!!
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/bones495/cs_militia0002.jpg

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! :eyes: :behead:

Stewie
24-01-06, 07:46 AM
Annoying round last night...Thanks Badboy. You kicked me m8 ;)

No Hard Feelings though.

Sc00by
24-01-06, 09:58 AM
What did you get kicked for? :eyes:

McBain
24-01-06, 10:07 AM
Round time has been changed to 3

BaDBoY UK
24-01-06, 10:23 AM
What did you get kicked for? :eyes:

It was an accident. My bind brought up the kick screen because my keyboard and mouse were f00ked due to logitech settings program not running. I then pressed my middle mouse button, before I knew the menu was up, which brings out my pistol and presses no2. Fosh was no2. I then apologised profously for it and made sure he could come back, though the server was full, by disconnecting and he connecting at the same time.

Sorry for the 900th time FoshJedi :oops:

McBain
24-01-06, 11:10 AM
(Btw, didn't realise this was in the wrong forum. Now moved to Half Life forum)

[OLSC]Fizban
24-01-06, 11:41 AM
The other problem with Militia is Valve decied to finish it instead of working on the Kalt map...

Fiz (Runs out the door ducking for cover :-) )

Stewie
24-01-06, 12:52 PM
Dunno. He had the admin panel up and kicked me by mistake. Lol :D As I said no hard feelings. I was a bit annoyed at the time though as I had 5 kills in a row :cry:

Liberator LX
25-01-06, 04:36 PM
I have a problem with Militia as well on my PC. i can only play on it for about 5 mins before it packs up eg it freezes and i have to restart my PC. I know my PC is definetly good enough to play it cos i always play on full graphics without a problem.

Kona
25-01-06, 09:56 PM
ok mate try this it has worked for me go to "start" then "run" and type in "DXDIAG" this should bring up with "directX diagnostic tool" go to "sound" and then "directX features" and lower the hardware sound aceleration. This worked for me mate have a go and let me know how you got on.

Liberator LX
26-01-06, 04:28 PM
Hey Crouch it didn't work but thanks for trying. I was playing dod_kalt and i had a similar crash. It said there was an engine error and to quote "Failed to lock index buffer in CMeshDX8::LockIndexBuffer"

helios
26-01-06, 05:59 PM
hmm, it could possibly be a driver issue. Are you running the latest drivers for your card?

i am guessing by that error that you ave an ATI Radeon, and as such, you will need to download the 6.1catalyst drivers.

Kona
26-01-06, 06:07 PM
ok well today trying to play on the militia server the same thing hapend. i am now downloading the 6.1catalyst driver and ill let you all know how it goes.

Liberator LX
26-01-06, 06:28 PM
i downloaded the 6.1 catalyst driver. it installed fine, but when i restarted this message came up: cli.exe application error. The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135)

BaDBoY UK
26-01-06, 06:33 PM
I get that all the time - just start the ati catalyst program manually

Penguin
26-01-06, 06:55 PM
Have you got the latest .NET framework update from Windows update?

Liberator LX
26-01-06, 07:09 PM
to badboybenno: I get that message when i try to manually open it as well.
to Penguin 133: is that an automatic download and if not where can i get it?

Thanks to everyone for trying to help

Sc00by
26-01-06, 07:12 PM
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

And choose custom updates, it's in there... Oh and oddly enough windowsupdate doesn't work in firefox ;)

Penguin
26-01-06, 07:27 PM
Or, alternativley, fire up IE and go to Tools> Windows Update :)

Liberator LX
26-01-06, 07:48 PM
lol. i've got Catalyst finally working :D i'm gonna test militia. i'll let you guys know how it goes

Liberator LX
26-01-06, 08:11 PM
Everything is working perfectly now. Thanks everyone :)

FIDDY
26-01-06, 09:13 PM
please try not to double post, thats what the edit butten is for

BaDBoY UK
26-01-06, 09:37 PM
please try not to double post, thats what the edit butten is for

Indeed - please try to use the edit button in future mate (pls dont everyone ridicule fiddy for his spelling - he supports man u so he needs special care and attention) :twisted:

Kona
27-01-06, 12:05 AM
(pls dont everyone ridicule fiddy for his spelling - he supports man u so he needs special care and attention)

Yeh thats right badboy us liverpool fans have got to stick together and rage war on the man u who beat us in a match that liverpool should have won :twisted:

Anyway back to the post original topic, the ATI Radeon update has seemed to have cleared this problem for me. Does everyone who has had similar problems use ATI Radeon graphics card? if so that download should sort it. Thanks helios for the tipoff :thumbs:

Stewie
27-01-06, 07:28 AM
Crouch...You are in Bristol!!! Why don't you support one of your local teams!!! I support Wycombe Wanderers (Home Town) and Everton(Dad's Local Team as a kid)

The Fact that they are 4 divisions different is neither here nor there ;)

BaDBoY UK
27-01-06, 10:03 AM
:offtopic:

Yeah, its strange how many big Premier Devision clubs are supported by people who do not live near or stem from the Club's city/town of residence. I have a friend who lives in Bolton, and went to Cam Uni with me, who supports Liverpool too. To be perfectly honest, he is actually a bigger supporter than me (BaDBoY = armchair fan as I was away so much :oops: ), to the point where he would drive all the way back from Cam to Liverpool each weekend we had a home game :shock:

:ontopic:

My militia problems have not been solved by the 6.1 cat drivers. After a few mins of playing I am still gettin weird shapes and random lines appearing on the screen but, as Helios pointed out, I feel this is a hardware problem, as in my gpu is too hot running at 1650 res, as opposed to a software problem. I can run it at 1440 (16:10) res no problems but I cannot then play in a window as it is too small and my monitor is a Dell 2005fpw 20.1" widescreen and 1650 is the native res :evil:

Kona
27-01-06, 10:32 AM
Ive been suporting liverpool for over 10 years now and the local clubs in bristol such as city and rovers dont intrest me. If i had to pick a team out of the two it would be rovers. But i belive that liverpool are the best club in the world and would'nt stop suporting them ever!!!

McBain
27-01-06, 05:59 PM
I can run it at 1440 (16:10) res no problems but I cannot then play in a window as it is too small and my monitor is a Dell 2005fpw 20.1" widescreen and 1650 is the native res :evil:

So the window has to still be atleast 17" right? That's too small? You need your eyes testing mate... ;) I always play in a window myself.

Sharky
27-01-06, 07:07 PM
hey stop liverpool supporter bashing!!! ;) i was born and live in sw london but support liverpool, my dad supported liverpool and he was born in scotland and my mum is from liverpool and also supports the mighty reds!! i have supported them ever since 1986, when ian rush scored and liverpool beat everton in the FA cup final!
what i trying to say is, it doesnt matter where u come from or who u support, as long as liverpool never again lose to man utd!! GRRRRRR

also back to the point of this thread, i got the catalyst 6.1 update thing for my ATI graphics card, and militia now working fine! so ty helios crouch etc :D

also, if i play css in a window the mouse doesnt point where its pointing lol, i mean i have to put mouse somewhere other than where i want to highlight things and i cant see how much ammo i have or my money!! can ne one help?

BaDBoY UK
27-01-06, 07:20 PM
So the window has to still be atleast 17" right? That's too small? You need your eyes testing mate... ;) I always play in a window myself.

Its not that its too small. Its just I hater anything being around it. Its extremely weird to have my bright desktop behind the window so I prefer to have the 1650 res running. Its had zero problems with every other map, until this one - even Aztec I can run at 1650 with 4x/8x with an fps of about 60. Just militia doesnt like my machine or my gcard :cry:

helios
27-01-06, 08:52 PM
badboy, it **could** be power, what PSU you got in your beast?