PDA

View Full Version : Jarheads

McBain
22-01-06, 09:13 AM
I went to see this on Tuesday, quite an interesting Sam Mendes film -

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hollywoodreporter/photos/2005/10/jarhead366x156.jpg

"Jarhead" follows the lead of Anthony Swofford's 2003 Gulf War battlefield memoir in sticking with the grunts on the ground. It sticks with the sheer boredom of waiting for a war to happen, of the drinking, joking, lusting, swearing and quarreling of a bunch of adrenline-charged 20-year-olds, sitting around in the blazing, surreal Arabian desert, wondering, "Are we ever going to kill anyone?" It sticks with all that loneliness and tedium, interrupted by moments of sheer terror.

The write up here (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/reviews/review_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001391321) is quite a good one, making many points I'd thought about myself. What was it really all about? You are told so many things, but not why? Why did the guy sign up, why was he picked out to be a sniper etc. It kind of starts, things happen and then it finishes... but I couldn't help but feel it needed more of a point?

All in all, a good watch though. Reasonably humourous, rather interesting, some great scenes. If you can see it with some vouchers or something like that, its worth it.

dre
22-01-06, 09:25 AM
Well the only thing i enjoyed ouyt of the film was the humour. I was expecting some type of war all the way through but the only thing shot with a gun was a camel...

Humour 7/10
overall 3/10

BaDBoY UK
22-01-06, 09:29 AM
Awesome film I thought. 8/10

McBain
22-01-06, 09:35 AM
I was expecting some type of war all the way through but the only thing shot with a gun was a camel...
Maybe you should do just a tiny bit of research before you go and see a film? Very quickly I found out this film was about the boredom of there not actually being much action...

Sgt. Stadanko
22-01-06, 12:58 PM
No need to bite his head off McB lol. It is a decent film but doesn't rank itself up there with Platoon and Saving Private Ryan. I can't wait until the next epic war film comes out.

SpyHunterUK
22-01-06, 01:05 PM
No need to bite his head off McB lol. It is a decent film but doesn't rank itself up there with Platoon and Saving Private Ryan. I can't wait until the next epic war film comes out.

Its not actually supposed to be a war film...

Not a really bad film, saw it yesterday afternoon, maybe 7.5/10

Poo Bear
23-01-06, 02:51 PM
Brilliant film! Not all action and yanks being super tough...just funny fire...fire...fire! hold the fu*k up boy! watch the show! lol

briktopp
25-01-06, 12:34 PM
Jarhead didnt really add to the genre for me. After the homage to 'Full Metal Jacket' at the start I just got kind of bored. Most of these themes have been dealt with before - its like the film is 10 years too late cos the gulf war is no where near as important as whats happned over the last 5 years - you know there must be more interesting stories about now with more meaningful themes

4/10 cos some nice shots

'Three Kings' much better gulf war film.

Poo Bear
25-01-06, 01:52 PM
LOL i like three kings (have it on vhs) its typical were invisible and no one can stop us USA film which can be a but to much.

Jarhead...awsome! esp. wen that guys missus sent him that video of her with some1 else! :D lol great!

ArTFuL DoDGeR
25-01-06, 03:07 PM
Im going to see this tomorow ive heard a variation of different opinions on this, but ill be able to give you mine when ive seen it. From what ive seen on the adverts it looks really good.

I cn vouch for three kings i thought it was a great film i thought the funny bits were very funny and the few action parts were done really well.

Stokes

Burner
25-01-06, 04:10 PM
Didnt like it, 5/10

gob
26-01-06, 05:08 PM
I agree in general with McB on this one. I though it was also a bit of a commentary by Mendes on the US military and how they are treated.

Some fantastic scenes - the Apocalypse Now bit and Dennis Haysbert ordering young Jake to put the crap bucket back under the latrine had me in stitches.

7/10 - worth a watch but not the best movie about war.

Azreal
20-03-06, 12:03 PM
I saw this last week, I thought it reminded me a bit of full metal jacket, and for some reason I thought that Jamie Fox was trying to do an impression of Denzel Washington.

ArTFuL DoDGeR
16-04-06, 02:39 PM
I thought this film was great, showed us all about the psychological side of war and not the all out battles, i think the way the Jake Gyllenhall was bought into the army, was probably just about how it is done, the scene with him and the guy with glasses was pretty intense, and im sure this has probably happened :shock: , The scene with the news reporters was funny when they were all stripping in the middle of the desert and performing "sexual scenes" :lol: .

Overall i thought this film was good but it didnt live up to Apocalypse now, yet still showed us how many of the Allied soldiers fought it out throw the Gulf war, and i would give this film 8.5/10.

Good film :thumbs: Just didnt live up to Apocalypse Now.

Stokes

Ninja2000
16-04-06, 05:23 PM
I hate war films like this where it has some kind of moral theme attached to it, people look back on the war, people who never fought in that war and express it in their own way, which offends the veterens and

I mean what do people really expect in a war, in reality many Vietnam Vets who fought are proud they served their country yet in every Vietnam movie they are disillusioned or they hate their country etc.

Ground troops didnt play much of a part in the Gulf War because the war was fought from the air by planes against tanks and planes against bunkers,if the US had of taking Baghdad then this theme would have been non applicable.

Overall I would rate this movie as off the radar on my favourite war movies

Go and see Black Hawk Down or Saving Private Ryan for a more accurate no non sense movie about War.

ArTFuL DoDGeR
16-04-06, 07:30 PM
Go and see Black Hawk Down or Saving Private Ryan for a more accurate no non sense movie about War.

Thats why i liked this film, it was different, it wasnt all out war, as much as i love Black Hawk Down and Saving Private Ryan, this film showed a different side to the movie.

Im sure the director and the Producer did some research and talked to Gulf War soldiers about how it was in the war, i doubt they would have just gone straight into filming without a clue what happened and without any first hand Knowledge L:?

Ground troops didnt play much of a part in the Gulf War because the war was fought from the air by planes against tanks and planes

Yes and this is expressed in the war, in two scenes where they are on the border ready to go into battle and one of the privates says that they wont get much chance to fight as the planes and the tanks will constantly drive the enemy back. Also the scene where they have the shot on the officer in the control tower but they are called back because a plane was able to take out the whole building,

Stokes

McBain
16-04-06, 08:29 PM
I have to agree with Stokes. I'm not entirely sure what your point is Ninja. As for saying Black Hawk Down and Saving Private Ryan are more realistic, what are you basing this on? You've already agreed the ground troups didn't have much to do in the Gulf war, as it depicted in the movie.

Ninja2000
17-04-06, 09:47 AM
I am saying those two films are more realistic because the soldiers in the movie are proud of what they do just like real gulf war vets and it accuratly portrays the sacrifice of the men,Jarhead comes across as an anti gulf war movie its almost saying "what was the point in the war in the first place?"

I think its becoming commonplace in the world that soldiers sacrifices in battle are not respected,people just seem to question every action and every piece of heroism and they dont care that these people fight for us.

McBain
17-04-06, 09:58 AM
I think my point against that would be, you don't know what the soldiers are feeling about being sent to the gulf war were. I understand that soldiers are proud to represent their contry, but that doesn't mean they agree with the reasons they are sent into war. If they were told, "Right, we're invading England, off you go" would they all go "Lets go USA!!!!". No, I'm sure some of them would be against it, but are ordered to carry out such a thing. Tbh, I can't remember the film to well now :lol: But I don't remember thinking it seemed unrealistic. I seem to recall thinking it was probably one of the more accurate representations, rather than a Hollywood representation of all acrtion and heroism.