PDA

View Full Version : Weird branches coming out of our heads?

Faith
19-02-06, 03:14 PM
Just been playing on dust2/office server and for some reason these long pole/branches are pointing out of everybodys heads every so often.... its probably just a temporary problem and I just need to reload steam/css...but just thought it odd....
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6929/branchheads1sa.jpg

helios
19-02-06, 04:03 PM
interesting Lisa. Are you getting any other graphical artifacts? and has this only startted happening with the new card?

Faith
19-02-06, 04:11 PM
yep just today mate...penguin seems to think that my graphics cards over heating...but its got a big fan attached to it....

Ninja2000
19-02-06, 04:32 PM
It could be overheating,but I personally think an updated driver or update to steam is causing this problem.

One way to be sure is to check if your OS is having the same problem,if you experience problems with your display while at the desktop overheating or faulty driver would be to blame.

helios
19-02-06, 04:48 PM
Is it just in CS? or, are you gettin artefacts in COD2 (I ask this as COD2 is alot more graphics intensive than CSS) The other option could be power, the PSU in your PC may not be big enough because i know that Packardbell skinp where they can, and PSUs are one of them.

TBH, i'd disagree with the overheating and be more inclined towards power being the cause atm.

Faith
19-02-06, 04:52 PM
yeh it was just a random thing in css.....didnt happen in cod2 but i havent played it much tbh......css is being normal at the moment....no random objects in my screen...just thought it loaded funny that time because it was the third game i'd played....

Crippler2032
19-02-06, 05:22 PM
i suppose it helps you know when people are coming round corners... you see this stick and then 5 seconds later an enemy arrives :P

Faith
19-02-06, 05:28 PM
lol yeah but i havent had the sticks since i posted about it....

Crippler2032
19-02-06, 05:30 PM
thats a shame, could of been useful for lan matches :P

bones
19-02-06, 07:25 PM
lol! its a good advantage though isnt it?? :lol:
but i dont think the card is overheating. what model is it Lisa?

Crippler2032
19-02-06, 07:27 PM
id assume it was something todo with the drivers. but i dont know very much about graphics cards so its a guess, but any graphics issues i have had with CS or BF2 were driver issues

Faith
19-02-06, 10:03 PM
hmmm well yeh I'm worried about it happening in a match I don't want that advantage because its not fair... it happened during practise this evening but thankfully not while I was alive and could get advantage from it....

helios
19-02-06, 10:09 PM
well, as i said to Sharky, the PSU in that box is a bit weak. If you want, i have a spare 300W lting around here, and i can give it to you at the LAN.

Faith
19-02-06, 10:19 PM
sounds great thanks mate :D

Sc00by
19-02-06, 10:28 PM
As discussed on X-Fire, the machine is in a 'computer desk' with a slot fo rhte base unit, which almost certainly means no airflow... Lisa is going to try it just under the desk and not closed it - I'd expect that to make a difference...

Faith
19-02-06, 11:11 PM
Inside my computer:
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5334/camerapics200520060716lz.jpg

Mincemeat
20-02-06, 12:30 AM
Can you read the figures for the 12v and 5v rails here, obtained from the sticker on your PSU. (current values for the voltage lines)

For e.g. 12 Volts / 20 Amps

bones
20-02-06, 11:54 AM
I am pretty sure it is something to do with the drivers.
if i was you i would download the latest drivers for you card (what model is it btw?)
and then i would re-install CSS and see if that would work.
and also i would get that 300V PSU from Helios. that might fix it. :wink:

Faith
20-02-06, 04:04 PM
ok I'm not going to sit here for another day while css is being installed again/......its not a problem with that. and i've already reinstalled drivers....we think its a cooling issue so i've moved my pc where more air can get around it and so far i've had no problems....will probably buy a new psu so it comes with warrenty etc....

Penguin
20-02-06, 04:09 PM
You might also want to invest in a decent system exhaust off ebay (get a branded one, Akasa etc) for about

Crippler2032
20-02-06, 09:15 PM
you could always just use a desktop fan blowing air into the side of your open PC (someone actually did this at an early lanarchy - but i was too lazy to go find the pictures to prove it :P)

bones
20-02-06, 09:34 PM
it was probably me crippler :) i can remember posting a pic of it somewere......

ArTFuL DoDGeR
20-02-06, 09:35 PM
Bones went to an early LAN? :munt:

I cleaned out my PC the other day try cleaning out your CPU fan if its a bit dusty and giving it a general small clean.

Stokes

helios
20-02-06, 09:39 PM
i know that skav ended up using a deskfan at the last COF event, that was comical...

Crippler2032
20-02-06, 10:20 PM
no, this was at an early lanarchy. the guy actually brought it with him as part of his kit!

LiNK
20-02-06, 11:12 PM
This reminds me of a time long ago......
My roomate and I were as broke as the next door canarie and the fan of his cpu just stopped spinning.
Of course we still wanted to use the pc so we "modded" the hoover to it :twisted:
If you held the mouthpiece of the hoover near it you could hear this distinct jet engine sound getting higher and higher when the angle of the mouthpiece got smaller with the fan.
It was SO cool, really a 3" fan sounds like a proper F16 in your living room when you use a 1500 watt hover :P just takes a lot of power ;)

helios
20-02-06, 11:27 PM
extreme cooling there link, i like your style :D

McBain
21-02-06, 12:06 AM
Just to check, and I know it sounds silly, but better safe than sorry. If you have fans on your case, make sure they are all blowing and sucking the correct way. Air should flow through the case, I have known some people to have them all set to suck air in... this wont shift the hot air out very quickly though...

The big deskfan that someone brough to a LAN was Psychoman at L6 -

http://www.lanarchy.co.uk/photos/L6/slides/196-9694_IMG.JPG

Faith
13-03-06, 06:42 PM
ok I haven't seen branches since I got my new exhaust fan for my pc but I was just playing on custom maps server and guess what....the branches are back... :( I don't know what else I can do to stop this from happening....I did have a drivers error but I sorted that earlier today and all that error was doing was makeing my pc randomly restart itself without warning. Someone please help me :( http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3470/morebranches7cs.jpg