PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Creek

briktopp
27-02-06, 09:12 AM
I spoke about this one on our recent pilot podcast but here it is for the forum readers

Three backpackers set off into the outback searching for adventure only for their car to breakdown, Their eventual rescuer turns out to be homicidal maniac who on the face of it appears to be a crocodile Dundee type character - watch out for a superb twist on this sterotype, - This movie is inspired by a collection of real incidents and serial killers like Ivan Milat. When watching the movie I was reminded of the recent Peter Falconio story.

Wolfcreek reminded me of another australian film; 'open water' on several counts. They both basically exploit the remote possibility that our modest travels do in fact come with dangers, stuff you dont think of when your organising a short escape from the real world. Both movies are based on true events. Both movies take some ordinary folks and put them through hell making sure the audience gets taken along for the ride and thats all it is theres no substantial message and its not twisty turny crime novel stuff but more real crime shocker. One big difference between the two films is that the victims of the piece are better set-up - you relate to them more which adds to the feeling of suspense

This films cleverly uses the various picture postcard landscapes of the outback to set up the change from paradise to foreboding and fear and ultimtely complete terror!

6.5/10 but its kinda spoilt my plans of travelling to the land of Oz

out on DVD now

BaDBoY UK
27-02-06, 09:18 AM
I had high hopes for this film but it is too far fetched. If I was in that situation I would smash that guys head in the first chance I got and I would not stop until I saw brain matter. Why do these females always insist on hitting their captures only once and wondering why they get up later? Silly broads :twisted:

I agree with Briktopp - 6/10 from me

Faith
27-02-06, 11:59 AM
No offence to Briktopp, but comparing wolf Creek to Open Water doesn't make me want to see it as I thought OW was the worst film I've ever seen. It says it was based on true event But the only event they know that happened was that they got left out at sea.....they dont know what they went through etc.....could have been based on any other sea film

But I think I'll see whats its like any way because everyone opinions are different....from what you've said about WC it sounds alot better than OW. :)

Lestat
27-02-06, 12:05 PM
Ahh god open water, after watching that film I wished they had been left out there and I would not have lost 90mins of my life. I am still hmming over whether to add wolf creek to my blockbuster list. But there is so much good stuff out at the mo.

I just watched coach Carter for example and it was excellent.

briktopp
27-02-06, 12:22 PM
No offence to Briktopp, but comparing wolf Creek to Open Water doesn't make me want to see it as I thought OW was the worst film I've ever seen. It says it was based on true event But the only event they know that happened was that they got left out at sea.....they dont know what they went through etc.....could have been based on any other sea film

i take your point about being unfair to wolf creek as lots of folks didnt like open water but i just wanted to give people the idea of the realistic feel of both movies and also similar origins. I enjoyed Wolf Creek more but both films create tension really well without overly complex plots or lots of money thrown at the production!

Sharky
27-02-06, 01:21 PM
i got soooooo bored watching open water, i was like, so when is something going to happen? just mho, but it was a real waste of my time! (open water)
films like that should be banned form my viewing! :D

i not seen wolf creek yet, and not sure if i want to now :s

briktopp
27-02-06, 02:07 PM
mmmm i sense that a few folks fell for the clever marketing/hype of open water and expected 'deep blue sea' all over again.

believe it or not some people did not think it was a waste of 2 hours!

Anyway please dont pre-judge wolfcreek by 'open water' *****wishing i hadnt mentioned it at all ******* and dont take my word for it... read around...and if you do see it then post your own thoughts on here