PDA

View Full Version : XP & CS Problem?

McBain
30-07-03, 10:25 PM
I don't know if this should be in here or the technical forum...anyway...

I've noticed when I hold down shift to walk, I can only press one directional key? After a while I can here the system bell go 'bong' to.

I have recently changed keyboards, and I don't recall it being a problem before...but then I definatly get this on my laptop, which also runs XP.

Anyone know what the problem is?

Sc00by
30-07-03, 10:29 PM
Check your 'accessiblity' settings (in teh control panel - like you need telling that :) ); switch everything off and see if it still does it.

I had something similar (but not the same) happen that was because of an accessiblity setting so I switched them all off and I don't have that problem with my CS (which is also on XP)

McBain
30-07-03, 10:42 PM
I've turned them all off....same problem.

Something I have noticed though is it's not all keys, it's only SHIFT+W+D? I can strafe in all eight other directions while walking, but not forward and right?

Sc00by
30-07-03, 10:57 PM
Does it do it outside CS? I mean if you just hold them down on the desktop does it go 'bong'? That should tell you if its an XP problem or not...?

Crippler2032
31-07-03, 12:15 AM
I've had the exact same problem and i'm running 2000 i can walk and straft anyway except diagonally forward & right (W & D) same happens when i try while crouched tho...

Skavorn
31-07-03, 12:32 AM
me and my friends get the same prob were on xp too

Crippler2032
31-07-03, 12:35 AM
to be honest i really dont think this is a 'new' problem, i'm sure its been around ages, i've had it and even gotten used to playing with it now, that i dont really notice it much at all.

Mincemeat
31-07-03, 10:51 AM
hmm. I dont think i have that problem. or i dont notice it. :)

But i do have another problem. Suddenly a few maps screw up. As only these maps crash and get messages such as cant find a .wad file or something like that. shall i re-install my maps? it only happens to a few maps like e.g. - bankjob, india, and a few others. :?

If some one has experienced corrupt maps or any thing of this issue please post here the solution.

THNX :)

McBain
31-07-03, 05:15 PM
Mincemeat, why not just google for the wad files your missing?

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
31-07-03, 07:15 PM
*coff* www.filemirrors.com *coff*

Reevey
31-07-03, 09:36 PM
I use to have the same problem when I first went onto XP. I could make the same noise on 98 but I had to press a few keys in a certain way, like pressing Forward and brake in GTA.

How did I get around the problem? Dont remember actually. Im pretty much certain it's your keyboard. I think it's to do with PS/2 connections, if you can use your keyboard in USB, try it. If you can't, use somebody elses keyboard and try. Cause I'd put money on it.

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
01-08-03, 07:07 AM
You lose.

My keyboard is PS/2 & USB and it does it either way.

Reevey
02-08-03, 09:51 PM
Well you smell!

HUNTER
02-08-03, 10:03 PM
Papa Smurf]You lose.

My keyboard is PS/2 & USB and it does it either way.

same here and they work fine, i tried the other night while playing CS.

Reevey
03-08-03, 11:10 AM
http://216.120.238.3/~xtragam/warp/options.JPG

Try settings yours to the same

McBain
03-08-03, 11:29 AM
Mine are the same, no joy :(

Sc00by
03-08-03, 02:32 PM
I've confirmed that my CS doesn't do this and I'm running XP too. Don't quite know what to suggest, your sound setting perhaps? It might be some kind of warning beep that you can switch off?

[edit] I know its a long shot, but does anything appear in the event log that co-incides with the beep?

McBain
03-08-03, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't say the beep is the problem. The fact that I can't walk forward and right is the problem. I can crouch and move forward and right though :?

Sc00by
03-08-03, 02:41 PM
Well the beep is sort of the problem, cos it's telling you that it doesn't like the key combination that allows you to walk forwards and right (shift and W shift and D?) Can you walk diagonally forward and right? (shift W and D?) I think you've already answered this, but a) I can't remember what the answer was and can't be arsed to go and look and b) I'm not sure if I understood the answer that you gave last time anyway
:stupid:
I'ts odd that it's fallen out with that key como though! You'd expect problems with CTRL or ALT key combos rather than shift ones. Does it still do it if you have CAPS on? (very long shot I know!) I'm going to have a play and see if I can get mine to do it

Sc00by
03-08-03, 02:44 PM
Mine are the same, no joy :(

That's odd cos it sounds like it's trying to use filter keys...

McBain
03-08-03, 02:45 PM
To clarify, its fine walking forwards and walking right, walking forwards+right is the no go. What I was saying is, turning off warning beeps wont help...I still wouldn't be able to walk forward/right, I just wouldn't get beeped at :?

Personally I think it is to do with the shortcut keys on the keyboard (open mail, browse files etc). I did notice, when I hit volume down on the keyboard, up came my buy options :?

linusson
03-08-03, 02:55 PM
Im Suprised none of you know the answer to this as soon as i read the first post in this subject i knew the answer you need to turn a thing of called sticky keys when this is on if you hold down shift while in windows xp or in any game for about 5 secs it will come up with a message in widows asking if you want sticky keys to be turned on but most of the time you will not see this message if you are in a game and all you get is a beep you need to open control panal and then Accessibility Options then turn off everything in thier but the main things you need to do is untick the box that says use sticky keys then after that click the settings button next to sticky keys and untick everything in thier. Those are the main things you can do that will im sure stop you from having this problem but whats even better to try is to untick everything under Accessibility Options in all the settings buttons allso. tell me if this works. :D

Anthony Lacey
anthonylacey2002@hotmail.com

linusson
03-08-03, 02:58 PM
On the first page of this subject thier is a picture thats posted of a persons desktop i saw that and thought wow that looks nice and im asking here how do i get that same desktop theme i really liked it please tell me if you know

Anthony Lacey
anthonylacey2002@hotmail.com

McBain
03-08-03, 03:07 PM
Nope, we've been through that option already. Surely that would cause a problem no matter which direction keys were pressed while holding shift. This is specifically shift+W+D

HUNTER
03-08-03, 05:50 PM
have u got the latest keyboard drivers or is it still set as a default keyboard?

McBain
03-08-03, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I have iTouch installed, latest drivers I believe. I'm wondering whether it's worth uninstalling them to use the keyboard as a standard one, just to see if that fixes it.

Sc00by
03-08-03, 08:06 PM
Got to be worth a go?

McBain
03-08-03, 08:54 PM
Interestingly I uninstalled the iTouch software and all the keyboard shortcuts still work....and walking forward and right doesn't :beep:

HUNTER
03-08-03, 11:56 PM
so was it the iTouch Software causing the problem??

Sc00by
04-08-03, 12:00 AM
I'd guess... No:!:

HUNTER
04-08-03, 10:45 AM
I'd guess... No:!:

w00t! I was kind of right, suggesting that it could be the iTouch software :o

Reevey
04-08-03, 04:36 PM
I use iTouch and like I said already, I don't have the problem.

Are you running any programs in the background? Just try turning them off, everything is worth a try.

McBain
04-08-03, 06:29 PM
w00t! I was kind of right, suggesting that it could be the iTouch software :o

How? When it has no effect on the problem, whatsoever :?: :?

sonic_dude
04-08-03, 06:50 PM
the problem is called stickykeys its when u hold down shift for more than 8 seconds or u press the shift 5times, it screws up all the numbers and the ']["$

Sc00by
04-08-03, 07:11 PM
I use iTouch and like I said already, I don't have the problem.

Are you running any programs in the background? Just try turning them off, everything is worth a try.

Yeah this is were I'd go next.

regedit

HKeyLocalMachine/software/microsoft/windows/CurrentVersion/run is a good place to remove things from and the same place under HKeyCurrentUser

Though I think I'd remove things one at at time...

McBain
04-08-03, 07:31 PM
HKeyLocalMachine/software/microsoft/windows/CurrentVersion/run

Here's what I see when I go there -

http://cs.andycr.com/pics/reg.jpg

and

http://cs.andycr.com/pics/reg2.jpg

I already notice aconti, which may be why I'm getting odd pop-ups appear, when I'm not even browsing the web.

Anything else I shouldn't have running? Or perhaps, more importantly, anything I shouldn't close?

McBain
04-08-03, 07:32 PM
[quote:6522e04bbf="sonic_dude"]the problem is called stickykeys its when u hold down shift for more than 8 seconds or u press the shift 5times, it screws up all the numbers and the ']["$

Sc00by
04-08-03, 07:56 PM
The only thing I have in the HKCU one is:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
And I'm blessed if Iknow what that is...

Under HKLM I have:
"C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033 -noicon
D:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb0 5.exe
"D:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe"
SysTray.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\wt\updater\wcmdmgrl.exe -launch
CTHELPER.EXE

The first thing I notice is that we have no programs in common, which is kinda worrying, but also probably means that you can remove any/all of them. They are dead easy to put back so don't worry too much... (try one - in the right hand side of the window right click and click new - (appropiate*)value. Give it a name and link it to your CS shortcut (In this case appropiate* is string). Now when you restart CS should fire up as the machine starts (probably best done in HKeyCurrentUser tbh...) But have a go at creating one before you delete any if your not sure!
Though I'm sure Rob will be able to re-build it should it all go horribly wrong (remember the warning in the M$ knowledge base about editing the registry... They mean it you can do a LOT of damage, but in this case you're probably safe (though my ASUS probe doesn't work anymore cos I deleted the registry entry that loads the service :) )

McBain
05-08-03, 08:44 PM
I've just thought...isn't there a way to make it so a key toggles you walking to running? That way, I hit shift once, then I can move any direction I like :)

Sc00by
05-08-03, 09:18 PM
I've just thought...isn't there a way to make it so a key toggles you walking to running? That way, I hit shift once, then I can move any direction I like :)

There might be, but I don't know what it is :(

McBain
05-08-03, 10:35 PM
W00T! That'll do me :) To make your shift key (or whatever) toggle from walking to running, here's what you need to do.

In your autoexec.cfg add these lines -
alias walk_run "walk_on"
alias walk_on "-speed;alias walk_run walk_off"
alias walk_off "+speed;alias walk_run walk_on"
Then in your config file, find where it says "+speed" and change it to "walk_run"

Sorted :thumbs:

For those of us that like the stealthy approach, it is perhaps actually better this way anyway. :)

Sc00by
05-08-03, 11:08 PM
Well done on working/finding that out! I might give it a go as it'll save me getting cramp in my hand when trying to sneak round behind someone

Do you think that you could do the same thing with crouching? Cos when I have a pistol I tend to spend ages cramped as the buggers are more accurate that way.

Just had a quick play with the run 'toggle' and I LIKE that :D

McBain
05-08-03, 11:27 PM
You can make a duck toggle, just change +speed and -speed to +duck and -duck....ofcourse renaming the alias from walk_run to duck_toggle or something.

Sc00by
05-08-03, 11:37 PM
Yep that worked :)

though having had a go or two with it I'm not sure that I'm going to keep it tbh. It makes the 'duck/jump' on top of a box quite hard. I might bind something else to duck so I can have a toggle AND have a duck for jumping...

The only problem I'm finding is that CS 'remembers' the setting through a round end so you can find yourself walking at the beginning of a round, but I'm sure that it's just practice to make sure you toggle it off as you reload at the end of a round! It seems to sort it's self out if you die

/me thinks 'what else can I toggle?'

Don't answer that :P

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
11-08-03, 07:49 AM
Well you smell!

fair cop, slap the bracelets on guvnor, i'll come quietly...

;)

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
11-08-03, 07:52 AM
Nope, we've been through that option already. Surely that would cause a problem no matter which direction keys were pressed while holding shift. This is specifically shift+W+D

I use the numeric keypad for my controls and I have similar problems (can't remember the exact key-combo, I'm that used to it that I just work around it now...)