PDA

View Full Version : CS 1.6 & Steam

Crippler2032
11-08-03, 10:55 PM
Ok, so i've had a few comp problems (they all seem to be behind me now as all my games etc... work).

I've been trying to download CS 1.6 on steam (which seems to think it is now upto date) However, when trying to connect to a server i get the message from steam saying 'preparing to play counter-strike' and i have yet to get any further than that, the CS menu says ready to play so can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong?

Also is it just me or is steam the biggest pile of **** download program around? id much rather they would of just stuck with the normal way to distributing patches & demos

sonic_dude
12-08-03, 06:34 AM
i had the same problem, in the end i just gave up coz it was aload of :beep: :spin:

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
12-08-03, 07:27 AM
what about if you try starting a new game? what happens then?

Psycho Hamster
12-08-03, 07:51 AM
Sounds like Steam is still downloading something to me.

That happend to me the first time I tried to play it, I left it on that for how ever long I cant remember now but I think I made a cup of tea then had a dump :? came back and it was in the game. :D

Crippler2032
12-08-03, 08:02 AM
Papa Smurf]what about if you try starting a new game? what happens then?

How? when selecting cs from the games menu it says its ready but i dont see where i can make a game from, and it just sits when trying to joina server...

Sc00by
12-08-03, 08:10 AM
Though mine croaked more than once last night! I just kept trying (and rebooted a couple of times) and it all worked OK in the end...

The actual CS download only took about 30 mins once it got it's finger out :)

Sc00by
12-08-03, 08:13 AM
OK. If you select CS from the games menu it should then 'prepare to play CS, then DL CS and then play CS... I had problems with it not wanting to talk to my net connection for a while (and it doesn't like you doing ANYTHING else while it's DLing), but then patience is what is required.

Basically if you double click CS in the steam menu and then go shopping of something cos you just need ot leave it well alone while it sorts it's life out.

Psycho Hamster
12-08-03, 08:20 AM
OK. If you select CS from the games menu it should then 'prepare to play CS, then DL CS and then play CS... I had problems with it not wanting to talk to my net connection for a while (and it doesn't like you doing ANYTHING else while it's DLing), but then patience is what is required.

Basically if you double click CS in the steam menu and then go shopping of something cos you just need ot leave it well alone while it sorts it's life out.

Isnt that what I said! :lol:

Crippler2032
12-08-03, 08:25 AM
its now giving me 'Out of Bounds' error, every time i try to boot anything off it, tried re-installing it but that didnt work (gave same error) so i have manually deleted the whole Steam folder and am going to try from scratch again...

Sc00by
12-08-03, 08:33 AM
Install it to the same location otherwise It'll tell you that it's already installed... (Damn thing)

And yes Mr Hamster that is what you said. I just said it better :P

Crippler2032
12-08-03, 08:34 AM
tried installing over the old one, manually deleted it now and am starting fresh, hopefully that will sort things out...

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
12-08-03, 08:34 AM
Install it to the same location otherwise It'll tell you that it's already installed... (Damn thing)

mine didn't...

Psycho Hamster
12-08-03, 08:57 AM

And yes Mr Hamster that is what you said. I just said it better :P

Thank you Mr Doo :lol:

Sc00by
12-08-03, 08:58 AM
Mine did and I uninstalled it 'properly' (using the uninstaller) about 2 months ago! Figure...

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
08-09-03, 08:09 AM
http://www.ukterrorist.com/#1062803046

McBain
08-09-03, 09:10 AM
The Steam Beta has delivered several Valve games and popular Half-Life MODs to over 300,000 gamers, and will come to a close Tuesday evening (Pacific Daylight Time). The first full version of Steam, Valve's broadband platform for the delivery and management of digital content, will launch at 11 am PDT on Wednesday. Set up installers for the full version, which will be free of charge to existing Half-Life and Counter-Strike players, will be available from www.steampowered.com and leading game sites. Anyone interested in hosting the installer or becoming a Steam Service Provider, please email biz@steampowered.com.
Valve would like to extend its thanks to everyone who participated in this beta.

All it means is that you need a working CD-Key to continue to use STEAM when the beta ends.
Funnily enough, I uninstalled Steam yesterday...or I thought I did. It's gone from the Add/Remove programs list, but it still runs each time I boot up :?: :cry:

Any ideas?

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
08-09-03, 09:22 AM
msconfig
registry search
hd search

(in order...)

Sc00by
08-09-03, 12:50 PM
Yeah something like that. Delete your steam directory then remove the steam startup command from:
HKCU (or HKLM)/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run

That should do it.

McBain
08-09-03, 09:37 PM
remove the steam startup command from:
HKCU (or HKLM)/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run
Nothing to do with Steam in here :?

Found a valve folder under software though, got rid of that. It's nice they make it easy to uninstall isn't it :roll:

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
12-09-03, 08:35 AM
steam has (finally!) been released :

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=getsteamnow

Sc00by
12-09-03, 08:37 AM
But if you already have the steam beta installed it should update it's self - probably, though mine doesn't appear to want to, it's probably sulking cos I stopped it running at start up :evillaugh:

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
12-09-03, 09:28 AM
no - you need to d/l & install the "steam final"

but there are some good points - instead of d/l-ing the whole of HL & CS & (whatever else you choose) it will find them on your HD and copy the relevant data it needs into its cache.

unfortunately they seem to have lied about keeping the "friends lists" intact, either that or they have had problems with it. If you want to add me as a steam friend then PM me your details and I'll add you (which will reciprocally add me to you)

Sc00by
12-09-03, 09:52 AM
Papa Smurf]no - you need to d/l & install the "steam final"

Really? I'm sure I read somewhere that it would update it's self? though i suspect that it's far more likely that I'm wrong than you are...
I'll do that at some point then
*mental note to self stop it loading on restarts*

Papa Smurf]but there are some good points - instead of d/l-ing the whole of HL & CS & (whatever else you choose) it will find them on your HD and copy the relevant data it needs into its cache.

Or install it to the same place as the beta? Will that work? In theory the directory structure will still be there? Probably...

Papa Smurf]unfortunately they seem to have lied about keeping the "friends lists" intact, either that or they have had problems with it. If you want to add me as a steam friend then PM me your details and I'll add you (which will reciprocally add me to you)

Yeah I'll do that once I've found the friends list and know what it needs to know to do it :?

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
12-09-03, 11:02 AM
<snip>...Or install it to the same place as the beta? Will that work? In theory the directory structure will still be there? Probably...<snip>

i have no idea whether this will work - it may cause problems or it may be happy as larry, IMHO it'd be best to just delete the beta or install it into another folder...

Sc00by
12-09-03, 03:33 PM
Papa Smurf]steam has (finally!) been released :

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=getsteamnow

Hmmm. I'm getting a 404 on steapowered.com Anyone else got problems?

:huh:

[OLSC]Fizban
12-09-03, 03:39 PM
Well it was threating 893 minutes to download CS eailer, it looks about half way through and it still reckons 105 minutes, I guess it's a steam powerd /. effect :lol:

Fizban
The cause of the problem is:
floating point processor overflow

Sc00by
12-09-03, 03:45 PM
Ah. me thinks that the world and his wife are downloading steam at the moment and that site has caved under the pressure then.

I'l do it next week I think

[OLSC]Fizban
12-09-03, 04:00 PM
Unfortuantly I wanted to get some practice in for tommrow :gunner: :cry:

Fizban
Electrons on a bender

HUNTER
12-09-03, 04:37 PM
you wanted to practice 1.6 when we will be playing 1.5?

and you don't need practice ;)

Dusted
12-09-03, 05:27 PM
Ok ladies - just to keep up with your modern trends and new fangled updates, just WHAT are the OLSC and CoF guys doing about 1.6 Steam? :?:

Who's downloading it and who isn't, why and why not, and has anyone managed to dl it yet and what sthe differences? ie how much more badder* is it? :lol:

*Badder in this case meaning sh*te, not the gang stylee urban patois that ya'll know and love

[OLSC]Fizban
12-09-03, 05:53 PM
Um, Steam is not the CS 1.6 beta. CS 1.6 beta is a steam enabled app, so at the moment the CS1.6 beta yesteday is still the CS1.6 beta that you can play today. Well apart from the fact the Steam beta don't work any more, you have to upgrade and part of that upgrade process is to re-download CS1.6beta (which I wanted to familar myself with the base maps playing with bots[1]) and this is all timing out. So Saturday I get my arse well and truly kicked at CS and Monday or Tuesday I try again :lol:

Fizban
Too much radiation coming from the soil.

[1] Yes I know you can get bots for 1.5 - I coundn't be bothered as I had 1.6

McBain
12-09-03, 06:01 PM
Until someone can come up with a good reason for me too, I shalln't be putting that shite back on my system in any hurry....

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
12-09-03, 06:33 PM
Steampowered is still down but you can still get the installer @ filemirrors (http://www.filemirrors.com/search.src?file=steaminstall.exe&size=598149) - there seems to be sufficient bandwidth to then allow you to install steam, albeit slowly.

[OLSC]Slaine
12-09-03, 06:37 PM
...Who's downloading it and who isn't, why and why not, and has anyone managed to dl it yet and what sthe differences? ie how much more badder* is it? :lol: ...

I'm currently...

Converting Base Goldsrc Shared Binaries files into steam cache...complete
Converting Half-Life files into steam cache...

I have left the exsisting installation of HL/CS/DOD & DOD Retail where they are, installed the new Steam to the same installation dir as steam beta, it told me that i had the beta there and did i want to overwrite it.

Went to games and selected Halflife, it then came up saying that because I had the platinum ed i could have a free monthly subscription of all the other games (OF, CS, DOD, Rich). It found all the custom maps i had in CS and asked if i wanted to copy them over, said yes. Also detected that I have NS installed (and OF again) and asked if I wanted them copied across.

Well that's about it ...still converting :yawn:

Crippler2032
12-09-03, 06:48 PM
Slaine]it then came up saying that because I had the platinum ed i could have a free monthly subscription of all the other games (OF, CS, DOD, Rich

Free monthly subscription to CS, DoD? am i being stupid in thinking that these are Free already? or am i missing something?

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
12-09-03, 07:02 PM
Said the same thing to me, now I don't have any kind of pack for Half Life so that was a nice surprise (only got original version). This might be the brand name for a retail purchase of Half Life. I suppose it differentiates it from a subscription version (not that one exists for HL but it will for HL2)...

[OLSC]Slaine
13-09-03, 07:58 AM
Not doing to well, it crashed when converting the games, I uninstalled and tried again, but it kept crashing. Re-Started the app and it said that it had to dl all the content. So overnight I did HL.

This morning Steam had crashed again, but HL icon was now active in the game list.

But took a long time for it to start up.

I think that the general steam network is being overloaded, so will give up for now and try later in the week.

[OLSC]Slaine
13-09-03, 01:10 PM
Progress :)

Right.. I downloaded the steam install with the CS content included from fileplanet.

Once the 350 Mb download had finished, I installed this over my exsting installation and it ran first time :), even Halflife ran ok... Now d/l DOD over steam

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
14-09-03, 09:00 AM
The CS installation of Steam worked a lot better for me too.
But...

http://www.thedrum.f9.co.uk/images/steam.jpg

:x

[OLSC]Slaine
14-09-03, 09:54 AM
I left DOD installing last night (as I was being cultured @ LNotP in Belfast)

Still doesn't launch correctly :( and in an orderly fassion and the games don't always start, think it has problems getting through the firewall (Outpost Pro).

Arghh... would not like to think how much of a head ache this is going to be when a major release, like DOD or HL 2, happen :x

McBain
14-09-03, 11:19 AM
I'm sorry, I still don't get it. You have HL, DoD and CS already...why piss about with steam?

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
14-09-03, 01:57 PM
'cos in about 2-4 weeks (IIRC) they'll be turning off WON, so if you want to play online you'll have to use Steam.

Crippler2032
14-09-03, 02:25 PM
Papa Smurf]'cos in about 2-4 weeks (IIRC) they'll be turning off WON, so if you want to play online you'll have to use Steam.

your kidding right?

if not there getting rid of something that works and exchanging it for something thats being run off a 486 in someones basement...

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
14-09-03, 02:28 PM
Nope, bye bye WONID, hello SteamID

Crippler2032
14-09-03, 03:40 PM
well looks like that means no more online CS for me.

McBain
14-09-03, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the same...

Probably no major loss though, don't play it that much online these days. I wonder how it will work for LANs with no connection then?

Surely there will be a download version of CS still? How will it work when CS:CZ comes out? That will be playable online wont it? Surely that wont need steam?

wintermute
14-09-03, 04:19 PM
And does it mean we have to download new versions of the Dedicated Server? Or if we keep the CoF server on it's current version can we still play on that without Steam?

Rob

[OLSC]Zrutu
14-09-03, 08:31 PM
Quick question:
Can I play Counter Strike from Steam with the CD key from Retail version of DoD?

I mean it's not a major issue for me as I truely suck at CS.. but you know it's fun every once in a while

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
15-09-03, 07:28 AM
quick answer - yes.

ANY valid HL (CS/DoD/OpFor?/BS?) gamekey will let you play them all - apparently...

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
15-09-03, 07:44 AM
http://www.a3on.net/iga/steamupdate.gif :lol:

Sc00by
15-09-03, 08:05 PM
Gotta agree with that Smurf. It decided to change my CS shortcut n my desktop (stupid bloody thing) despite not actually managing to convert CS into it's self! And now it won't DL CS.16 despite me already having it from the beta (which I installed over the top of!)

All together now: Its Crap!

And apparently I have DoD twice! Once under 'My Games' and then again under 3rd Party Games' (along with SnowWar and Kanonball) Why? :?: :huh:

Oh and how come they've removed the bots from CS 1.6? (according to the 'updates' list that steam gives you to read whilst it pissing bout.)

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
15-09-03, 10:10 PM
No bots cos they're pushing CZ?

Dusted
17-09-03, 12:14 PM
Steamng pile of poo have released a client install of 724 Mb to include the latest updates for HL/CS/DoD/OppFor/Rick O'Shea/TFC

Click here for more problems :evil: (http://www.fileplanet.com/files/130000/130416.shtml)

So who's using the newest versions now then? Anyone or is CoF still sticking with 1.5 for the time being? :?:

McBain
17-09-03, 12:28 PM
I'm still on 1.5 at present. Is 1.6 out of beta now or not?

Dusted
17-09-03, 01:17 PM
No idea. Its not listed as Beta anywhere on Fileplanet or some of the mirrors I've seen.............Curious.

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
17-09-03, 01:35 PM
it's still beta - they'd have announced if it wasn't....

Dusted
17-09-03, 01:50 PM
Oh.

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
17-09-03, 01:55 PM
I think they have announced it and atm it's only on steam: http://www.counter-strike.net/

Sc00by
17-09-03, 08:55 PM
Looks like 1.6 is out of Beta then and only available via steam... /me thinks that valve can go f*ck themselves I'm gonna keep playing 1.5 until they sort steaming pile of shite out so that it's useable on a LAN!

Crippler2032
17-09-03, 09:34 PM
Looks like 1.6 is out of Beta then and only available via steam... /me thinks that valve can go f*ck themselves I'm gonna keep playing 1.5 until they sort steaming pile of shite out so that it's useable on a LAN!

useable at all would be nice...

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
18-09-03, 07:42 AM
me is still not convinced that 1.6 is out of beta, i'd expect greater coverage on games news sites somewhere...?

-logical- Chimp
18-09-03, 10:46 AM
yeah - it does seem strangely quiet - last release, it got splashed over nearly every gaming site (and a few non gaming sites mentioned it too)

maybe theyre trying to keep the news a bit quieter, to try and reduce the strain on the network ? personally, im downloading the chuffin big install with all the games pre-patched (about 750mb, iirc)

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
19-09-03, 07:37 AM
Well that is supposed to be the official site :? Also, run up Steam, it refers to to the current version as being a release rather than a beta and the game contains stuff like the tactical shield. If you want astory on a news site, what about: http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=44183 ?

There's probably been little fuss because there's nothing in the game that wasn't in the beta (in fact the bots have been removed).

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
27-10-03, 05:37 PM
[quote:498420f5df]Condition Zero, and Other Steam News
October 23, 2003, 12:32 pm

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
27-10-03, 05:42 PM
Does that mean all players have to be up to date before going to a LAN? Will there be any way of updating out-of-date players offline?

-logical- Chimp
27-10-03, 06:02 PM
it would appear not wooley, unless a direct-download of the cache is made available (like the big install-everything-without-using-steam 700mb download from fileplanet)

McBain
30-10-03, 02:29 PM
I thought with my new quick download I'd give steam a go. I downloaded the Steam with CS file from fileplanet and installed it. Having created an account, I tried to start CS and it tells me
Steam has found the following problem with your game:
SteamProcessCall(WaitForAppReadyToLaunch) failed with error 15: Cache Read Failure

The game data cache needs to be flushed in order to run.
Did you wish to do this now?
I click okay and the message disappears and then pops straight back up...

...yeah, it's great Steam isn't it :poop:

:cus:

McBain
31-10-03, 11:51 AM
I finally got 1.6 working :roll:

I downloaded the smallest file, the steam installer and it took maybe 10 minutes to get into a game of CS :shock:

One good thing I've noticed already is inferno looks a lot nicer now
http://andycr.com/pics/inferno.jpg
Next thing I need to do is get all my keybinds working properly in 1.6 and I'm sorted 8-)

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
31-10-03, 03:56 PM
Not being much of CS player I can't really comment but quite a lot of the main ones seem to have been tarted up.

Dusted
02-11-03, 03:18 PM
Just had my first sesh on 1.6. Not bad actually. Nice level detail as McB says, but dying to get my CSRU mod back up and working again........

sonic_dude
02-11-03, 03:22 PM
but dying to get my CSRU mod back up and working again........

hopefully they will release a CSRU version compatible with 1.6, but in the mean time check out fusion's version for 1.6

Dusted
02-11-03, 03:25 PM
Will do - Nice 1 Sonic

McBain
23-11-03, 11:26 AM
Well, it almost lasted 3 weeks... now I get these come up when I boot up WinXP -

http://andycr.com/pics/steam.gif

At somepoint I'll uninstall and re-install to see if it fixes it.

:poop:

SpyHunterUK
23-11-03, 11:41 AM
personally, im downloading the chuffin big install with all the games pre-patched (about 750mb, iirc)

where from :?:

wintermute
23-11-03, 03:34 PM
Interesting that they've obviously left all the debugging code turned on for the compile, so that they can reference line numbers in the orginal source code with the error messages. That generally makes compiled code much larger and slower, which is why you generally turn it off for stuff that's ready for release...

Rob

sonic_dude
23-11-03, 08:46 PM
oooooooooo mee me i know the answer to that one i had the same problem mcb, all u do is go to search in the start menu and then search .gcf and delete the dod file, failing that try a reinstall.

edit!!!
btw where did u get that red silver background thingy?

McBain
26-11-03, 10:23 PM
i had the same problem mcb, all u do is go to search in the start menu and then search .gcf and delete the dod file

Unfortunately that didn't work :( I'll have to re-install at somepoint...

sonic_dude
20-12-03, 12:23 PM
for some strange reason, my fusion pack has stopped working, had to uninstall it, then found out they are acutally making the users pay to have fuison 12 on there system :cus: :cry:

now i need another decent weapon/player skin pack like fusion or CS|RU

but CSRU isnt goin to be releasing a pack for 1.6 so thats out of the question

SpyHunterUK
20-12-03, 06:47 PM
every time i try to start steam, it starts to reinstall it :?

[OLSC]Fizban
20-12-03, 07:01 PM
Do you let it finish "installing itself"? 'cos the way steam works it will automaticly update it's self when there is a new version (which could take some time)

Fizban
The cause of the problem:
secretary plugged hairdryer into UPS

SpyHunterUK
20-12-03, 07:08 PM
i already insatlled it 2wice after d/l it :evil:

McBain
20-12-03, 07:30 PM
Yes but is it definatly installing, or is it updating? It will keep downloading stuff each time you start it up, thats the idea...

HUNTER
20-12-03, 10:56 PM
for some strange reason, my fusion pack has stopped working, had to uninstall it, then found out they are acutally making the users pay to have fuison 12 on there system :cus: :cry:

now i need another decent weapon/player skin pack like fusion or CS|RU

but CSRU isnt goin to be releasing a pack for 1.6 so thats out of the question

thats why it was saying my CS wasn't installed :(

I liked that pack as well :(

SpyHunterUK
24-12-03, 09:27 PM
maybe we should just boycott steam? :D

SpyHunterUK
24-12-03, 09:39 PM
PLEASE DELETE! FORUM OFF ITS ROCKERS AGAIN! :(

Simple_Simon
24-12-03, 11:04 PM
I just downloaded steam the other day and i had no probs with it at all, the only thing is i had to wait hour or 2 for it to download and after installing it, it update itseft and after 15 to 20 mins i was up and running. Maybe im just lucky :D

McBain
25-12-03, 03:02 AM
Give it time....something will go wrong ;)

HUNTER
25-12-03, 04:52 PM
ok i noticed i still had steam on my system, don't need it.

and after what mcbain said bout having to remove stuff from the reg, i clicked custom and was able to remove all the stuff within the reg with it :)

SpyHunterUK
25-12-03, 06:20 PM
i dont really play CS anymore :( . im more BF and DC and :D RoN :D now.

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
05-01-04, 10:19 AM
breaking news on CS :

http://hosted.barrysworld.net/shootclub/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=8861#8861

McBain
03-03-04, 05:28 PM
Aparently from today, CS 1.6 will be LANable...

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
03-03-04, 05:29 PM
can't wait to see if it works :lol:

SpyHunterUK
03-03-04, 06:31 PM
OT, but check this preview of condition zero:

http://uk.gamesdomain.yahoo.com/feature/5508

opinions?

Skavorn
03-03-04, 09:41 PM
still need to download to steam to play it though :roll:

wintermute
03-03-04, 09:55 PM
ttp://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news

Connection Failure Error

The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.steampowered.com.

The browser was unable to connect to the specified site, even though it exists. This may be because the site does not accept connections from your computer, the service may be down, or the site does not support the service or port that you tried to connect to.

Is this one of those 'bad signs' - or is everyone trying to download the server?

Rob

IXL
03-03-04, 10:23 PM
Well, heres my end of the story . .

Ive been trying to update since about 8pm.

I lost the update 3 times. (it just dissappeared after 17, 19 and 28 percent ?)

I then finally got to 100% and I managed to get the Lauching Steam Box.

Just after this I had the updating platform files (lost this box twice.? (no idea why)

Finally, I have just got the login window prompting me for my password.

All I keep getting now is, and I quote, [*cough*]

Could not connect to Steam network.
This could be be due to a problem with your Internet connection, or with the
Steam network. Please visit www.steampowered.com for more info.

Ive tried about 8 times and it aint me.

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
03-03-04, 10:55 PM
steam network overloaded on major update shocker! :shock:

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
03-03-04, 11:09 PM
Nooo... you mean they failed to plan for the small liklihood that everyone would download the update ASAP? (Yet) Again? :?

IXL
04-03-04, 08:48 AM
Like everyone else, I hope, I got steam to finally finish its update last night at about 11pm.

Can I assume here you have the same results . .

I can choose whether to start steam online or offline. . but I cant play any games because they are not available. IE CS it grey'd out so you cant select it. There are also no LAN options. . .

What a waste of time that was. . .

http://www.ixl-uk.com/BB/viewtopic.php?t=298

[OLSC]Slaine
05-03-04, 01:44 PM
No try and validate your email...

The Steam servers were all being attacked last night with DOS

My update didn't take that long, got installed this morning, however the validation email took 3 hours to come through.

wintermute
05-05-04, 12:54 PM
Download the HLDS for Linux last night - I didn't realise that this also now comes with a Steam client. You can in fact just download the Steam client, stick it in a folder and then run it and it will download and install the whole server for you. Sounds quite clever, I'll wait and see how it goes in practice.

Rob

IXL
07-05-04, 12:59 PM
The DS for the normal steam client doesnt work for me and ive tried 3 different installations (fresh inc) It causes a HLDS error if you run it in offline mode. :evil:

I D/L the dedicated HLsteam file though instead and ran the updatetool.exe file in msdos. After updating CS and DOD I tried it last night.

It worked fine and I will be using it this weekend for my LAN :)

Peter Piper
09-05-04, 09:05 PM
Well, heres my end of the story . .

Ive been trying to update since about 8pm.

I lost the update 3 times. (it just dissappeared after 17, 19 and 28 percent ?)

I then finally got to 100% and I managed to get the Lauching Steam Box.

Just after this I had the updating platform files (lost this box twice.? (no idea why)

Finally, I have just got the login window prompting me for my password.

All I keep getting now is, and I quote, [*cough*]

Could not connect to Steam network.
This could be be due to a problem with your Internet connection, or with the
Steam network. Please visit www.steampowered.com for more info.

Ive tried about 8 times and it aint me.

Similar problem to what we had at out Lan last night, and yes it was a waste of time as it took nearly a hour and half only to not be able to play the game cos the Steam update messed up the files i already had installed. I wouldn't mind but i wasn't the only one it happened to at the Lan. Simple Simon didn't help by forgetting what options he clicked on to get his working, so we got stuffed. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling CS CZ and f***ed off the steam crap, as i don't think i want to go through that crap again just to play in a Lan. So if it don't work then count me out of any CS at Lans cos i won't be interested. :beep:

So Valve is a hint for you "if it ain't broke, stop f***king with it" and here is some steam for you :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: This lot might work better than the stuff you are trying to fob us. And heres some for you Simon for not remembering what you did :poop: :poop:

Mincemeat
10-05-04, 12:53 AM
chill man...Its just software :o

Peter Piper
10-05-04, 04:27 PM
chill man...Its just software :o

Its funny how the people that tell you to chill out either have it working or not installed, but when it happens to them they will not be so chilled.....lol

Its badly designed software from a company that should know better and be ready for the influx of people dling from their server, knowing the amount of CS fan base they have. That i think is what we are all trying to say here. If you pay your hard earned cash, then you want to to work :D

Mincemeat
10-05-04, 04:49 PM
true true. I had probs with steam. But after countless re-installs and much patience, it finally works (for how long, i dont know..)..

McBain
10-05-04, 05:08 PM
It may be just software, but because it's bad software it can ruin your whole afternoon or your LAN cause you have to piss about trying to get the thing to work :cus:

Peter Piper
10-05-04, 10:09 PM
It may be just software, but because it's bad software it can ruin your whole afternoon or your LAN cause you have to piss about trying to get the thing to work :cus:

Thank you, spoken like a true lanner :D In our case it ruin the whole evening :(

Gamith
10-07-04, 07:59 AM
BTW - Steam has just done a large DoD update, so allow some time, especially if on dial up, if you want to play DoD today :-)

TTFN

Gamith
15-07-04, 07:22 PM
Ditto but for Condition Zero (and deleted scenes) blah blah

Combined bandwidth of up to about 580 kb/s for around 10 mins.

Hopefully it won't screw things up.

TTFN