PDA

View Full Version : CS Source keeps freezing!!!

bfordben
06-06-06, 09:29 PM
Hi

i need help! CS Source has recently started freezing and crashing on me! I can log into STEAM and also play CS for about 10-15 minutes before it freezes up. I have looked on the FAQ on STEAM, but the nearest topic I can find is about freezing with looping sounds, which is about right, but I don't really understand what they tell you to do about it.

The problem has only been going on for about a week or so, but before it was running perfectly. My PC is practically brand new, with high spec everything, so it can't be a memory problem.

Any ideas?!

Thanks
Ben

ArTFuL DoDGeR
06-06-06, 09:38 PM
Well welcome to you too!

Update your graphics card drivers, worked for me :)

Also where about in brum you from?

Stokes

McBain
06-06-06, 10:08 PM
Is it just CSS that freezes, or the entire machine? If its the machine it sounds heat related.

As mentioned, check drivers are up to date, run windows update etc.

(Btw, moved to the 'Half Life and mods forum')

Intense Fear
06-06-06, 10:12 PM
exactly what they said ^. Also does it happen to any other games that you play? If not then could be something to do with your css or steam, although i had the same problem and it was due to my gfx card overheating and eventually i burned it out and all my 3D games crashed part the way through lol :(

LFFPicard
06-06-06, 10:37 PM
make sure you dont have a realtek onboard audio..
If you do and you alos have a sound card disable AC97 audio in bios..
Remove any sign of Realtek Audio fomr the device manager.

realtek seems to give a few issues with alot of games, i know i have them atm since my 5.1 card died.

Gamith
07-06-06, 05:33 AM
>atm since my 5.1 card died.
Would that be an X-fi?
Mine has started playing up and I have not got around to taking it out and re-seating it yet to see if that fixes it.

ttfn

Redeye
07-06-06, 03:13 PM
i'm having the same problems, checked out the page on steams site for fixing the problem, done eveything on there - upgraded graphics driver, sound cad drivers etc.

i'am using a realtek sound card any info on how to disable this to see if that fixes trhe problem

tnx in advance

stylez
07-06-06, 03:35 PM
crash with any other games.?

I had a very simliar issue with a reinstall i didnt get a loop just crashed randomly back to desktop no errors nothing. Saying this all my other games at the time ran perfectly fine

reguards

Redeye
07-06-06, 04:07 PM
nope its just CS:S it was fine before the latest update but now its unplayable

LFFPicard
07-06-06, 06:30 PM
most multiplayer games will crash
i crash on CSS and AOE2 as there the only ones i play.

Realtek is onboard and to disbale it you need to enter bios..

Reload your machine and when it first starts and u get the memory test on the bottom it says to tap either DEL or F2 to enter BIOS

Do this and goto Intergrated Peripherals
Goto AC97 Audio and disbale it.
Save Exit and restart.

NOTE: If your onboard sound is your primary sound then your sound will no longer work.
This will fix it, Realtek say update your drivers for them but it doesnt solve a thing.

@ Gamith it was a 3year old Sonic Xplosion 5.1

Redeye
07-06-06, 06:46 PM
well i disabled it but then i have no sound, so i'd rather have sound than CS:S, so no more CS for me unless there anything else anyone can think of?

P.S thanks for the advice

bfordben
07-06-06, 09:29 PM
I get only get regular crashes with CSS, although had one or two with Football Manager 06. It happens approx every 15 minutes now and initially there is a short period where it momentarily freezes (like a bad net connection) before freezing completely.

Will try graphics driver update, failing that, I'll re-post and maybe try something else. I know my Windows and Steam is regularly updated automatically but if I remember rightly, CSS was working fine until recent update like Redeye.

@Stokes - Edgbaston, lived here about 2 years.

Btw - I have a screenshot of latest crash and it says something about dumprep.exe and an application error. However, not sure what file extensions I can post on this forum and so far tried .doc and .bmp and both been too large.

Redeye
07-06-06, 09:34 PM
just checking if they did anything to the office map in that last update because it only drashes on that map and d2 is fine hasnt crashed on there YET

bfordben
07-06-06, 10:08 PM
What should internal temperatures be? I checked on BIOS and CPU temp was about 67C and MB was 45C. Is that high/about right?

stylez
07-06-06, 11:35 PM
65c is high

when u play games or anythign that requires more cpu usuage ur temp will increase. so i wouldnt be surprised if urs is hitting around the 70 mark on full load.. Have to remember while ur sat in the bios lookin at ur temp ur pc is idle.

if its a oldish machine maybe the cpu fan/heat sink is clogged with crap, maybe putting a new heatsink/fan on with some good quality paste might help.. or just cleaning it

http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/ac97.html << audio drivers for the realtek 97 these r pretty much what i used to use for my old board, also check theres no conflicts in the control panal/hardware manager

hope that helps

reguards

bfordben
16-07-06, 09:57 PM
I have managed to fix the problem - turned out drivers were out of date - Steam have a diagnostic page linked from their website (i think under support) which told me what to do.

I have also got a temp checking program that tells me the temp of CPU etc. Average idle temp is about 50- 55 C, but that shoots up to the 70's when playing CS Source and Football Manager.

I have an ATI Radeon X700, and someone told me they run at much higher temps than say an Intel P4 processor. Do I need to get an additional fan/exhaust? I have one of each currently and the PC is only about 7 months old.

Faith
16-07-06, 10:18 PM
I had a ati radeon x700 agp 256mb (if its what you have) which over heated ridiculasly almost to 80 degrees in game, it started putting pressure on my sound card some how as well which started to give me dodgy sound artefacts like crackling when in game. I also used to get artefacts on the graphics (long pole/rod looking thinks appearing on a certain object in css) I have bought a new graphics card and im going to send this one back to cruical for it to be tested, theres no way it should get that hot!

Simon
16-07-06, 11:45 PM
what do you have now faith?

Faith
16-07-06, 11:52 PM
GeForce 7800gs+ 512MB its top temperature so far being 55 Degrees in game.

BaDBoY UK
17-07-06, 05:55 AM
GeForce 7800gs+ 512MB its top temperature so far being 55 Degrees in game.

Nice card :thumbs: My 7950 runs at about 65 degC for CSS, and about 70 degCfor games like FEAR, GRAW and FarCry; i.e. more demanding games. However, Nvidia reckon my gpu could stand to go to 114 degC before needing to be slowed down :side:

Jak
17-07-06, 07:38 AM
mine runs at 30 idel and 35 at full load

oli
05-08-06, 10:59 PM
To stop your fan getting clogged with all that crap put a stocking on it works for me also keep a regular supply off water pumping around the heat related problems my pc melted cos i was running sumet and my pc was low spec and it was going to fast and went over 90c

Simon
05-08-06, 11:15 PM
comma
noun
the (, ) punctuation mark that is used in writing to separate parts of a sentence showing a slight pause, or to separate the various single items in a list

helios
05-08-06, 11:18 PM
Oli, can you stop reviving threads that have died, been burried, exumed once and then cremated please?

Threads like this one tend to have been solved a long time ago.

Also, water is only usefull if you have watercooling....