PDA

View Full Version : Free Day of Defeat: Source Weekend

McBain
02-07-06, 08:53 AM
They did this a few months back and they are trying once again to tempt people into buying DoD:S -

If you still haven't purchased Day of Defeat: Source, you'll get a chance to play the new maps in about a week, as we'll be having a second Day of Defeat: Source Free Weekend. The second free weekend will commence at 1:00 p.m. Pacific time on July 7th, and conclude at 1:00 p.m Pacific time on July 10th. We're looking forward to seeing you all there.

For us that means 8pm this coming Friday evening through until 8pm on Monday.

I'm hoping to get the Lanarchy DoD:S server up for this time so we can try it together if we so wish :)

Stewie
02-07-06, 09:09 AM
What are the min specs for the game?

McBain
02-07-06, 09:28 AM
It uses the same engine as CSS, so if you can run that, you can run DoDS.

Stewie
02-07-06, 09:57 AM
Excellent...

Fate
02-07-06, 11:00 AM
yeh i just bought DODs and its an awesome game , truly magnificent. the graphics are beautifull and the gameplay is astounding especially on the new maps. love the rifle propelled grenades. so much fun to fire through windows into buildings full of enemies :lol: is anyone buying that new "the ship" game, because it looks really good. you are put on a ship FULL of players from around the world and given a single name you must assasinate however, be carefull because someone has your name down for assasination. soudns REALLY cool. :lol:

Jak
02-07-06, 11:43 AM
Ive played DoD:S before and it wil stress your system more than CSS:S trust me. The game play is similar to bf2 but on a smaller scale. Its good but not my kinda game. Tactics and defence are massivly important to the game.

NcA
02-07-06, 11:44 AM
^^ Ahh. So that's what the premise is! Brilliant Idea for a game, might well get that now. I thought it was gonna be some sort of 'Titanic, THE GAME' boring drawn out pap...

I'm well up for giving DOD:S a shot, get the LNY servers fired up McBain, and people will come running!

Fate
02-07-06, 12:02 PM
ill be on. dods does stress your system but its no problem if you have a good one :lol:

Kbrothers
02-07-06, 01:22 PM
dods for the win to be honest! The new maps have unleashed a new life in the game and the garand is finally fair! Im going on there now actually ;)

Simon
07-07-06, 12:03 AM
They did this a few months back and they are trying once again to tempt people into buying DoD:S -

If you still haven't purchased Day of Defeat: Source, you'll get a chance to play the new maps in about a week, as we'll be having a second Day of Defeat: Source Free Weekend. The second free weekend will commence at 1:00 p.m. Pacific time on July 7th, and conclude at 1:00 p.m Pacific time on July 10th. We're looking forward to seeing you all there.

For us that means 8pm this coming Friday evening through until 8pm on Monday.

I'm hoping to get the Lanarchy DoD:S server up for this time so we can try it together if we so wish :)

Actually i'm pretty sure it won't be till 21:00 that we can play, maybe you were going by GMT, not BST?

NcA
07-07-06, 12:10 AM
Is Leicestershire in a special time-zone bubble of it's own?

By my calculations, Pacific Western Time is 2 hours behind Eastern time, which is 5 hours behind GMT time (English Time). So that's 7 hours time difference, which comes to 8 p.m.

ArTFuL DoDGeR
07-07-06, 09:54 AM
If you' all download the thing and try and launch it, it will tell you how long left :lol: :roll:

Stokes

Simon
07-07-06, 10:07 AM
Is Leicestershire in a special time-zone bubble of it's own?

By my calculations, Pacific Western Time is 2 hours behind Eastern time, which is 5 hours behind GMT time (English Time). So that's 7 hours time difference, which comes to 8 p.m.

HAHA, Right though wasn't I?

ArTFuL DoDGeR
07-07-06, 10:26 AM
Yes it does start at 9PM English time :)

Stokes

Simon
07-07-06, 10:31 AM
Oh yeah and PST = GMT -8, see here http://www.columbiassacrifice.com/images/tech_diagrams/US_TimeZones.gif

NcA
07-07-06, 11:48 AM
Heh, I pre-loaded it, then realised, I completely f***d up when the countdown clock showed :? Sorry guys. But Leicestershire's still got it's own little time bubble! Anyways It's all pre-loaded, and I'm dying to start playing! 8 hours to go!

McBain
07-07-06, 12:49 PM
Oh yeah and PST = GMT -8

Exactly. We're in BST which is GMT+1.

Therefore, BST = PST - 8 +1... so 1pm PST should equal 8pm BST. I thank you. :bow:

Like I say, someone messed up somewhere.

Simon
07-07-06, 01:03 PM
Yeah, but they're in summer time too

NcA
07-07-06, 01:08 PM
STOP CONFUSING ME! I'm American and I'm supposed to know these things..... :(

Stewie
07-07-06, 01:12 PM
Dude. Its not that bad.

Its Nearly preloaded...75.1%

Simon
07-07-06, 01:12 PM
haha, do you actually have summer time in america? I'm assuming yes, as that's where this problem came from

McBain
07-07-06, 01:16 PM
I'm fairly sure they do, although it doesn't match ours exactly. The thing is, we have GMT and we have a different one for summertime, BST... do they just have PST, EST and such, and then they just need to remember when they are in summertime? They don't have USST or somthing? :side:

As you've already quoted, PST is based on GMT not BST...

Simon
07-07-06, 01:23 PM
But maybe they're now in PST +1

Stewie
07-07-06, 01:35 PM
Well then it goes Live at 9pm not 8pm like we though lol.

ATM it is 6:35 am PST.

Simon
07-07-06, 01:38 PM
Did you not read any of the above? or page 1?

Stewie
07-07-06, 01:41 PM
Yes.... :side: Lets get out of here... :sonic:

McBain
07-07-06, 02:05 PM
But maybe they're now in PST +1

You mean, maybe it actually goes live for them at 2pm? I guess that could be the case, they post saying it will be 1pm PST and they all already know that means it will be live at 2pm?

But... if that was the case, that still means we're back to it being 9pm GMT and 8pm BST... which is what we're in?

Simon
07-07-06, 02:18 PM
No 'cause if they're 8 hours behind normally (in the winter) then both time zones +1, they're still 8 hours behind

McBain
07-07-06, 02:26 PM
Yes, but they quoted PST, not PST + 1. Which would mean 1pm + 8 (to get to GMT) - 1 (to get to BST), which brings us back to 8pm.

Simon
07-07-06, 02:26 PM
Steam are quoting their timezone as PDT, which i found out to be Pacific Daylight Time, which is GMT -7 or BST -8

dre
07-07-06, 02:32 PM
So what time can we play day of defeat then??? :roll:

McBain
07-07-06, 02:40 PM
Steam are quoting their timezone as PDT, which i found out to be Pacific Daylight Time, which is GMT -7 or BST -8

Hmm, they weren't. (See the exact quote in my first post - which I can't now find). Maybe they realised they'd given incorrect information and pulled/changed it :roll:

@Dre, 9pm. See the FFF thread ;)

NcA
07-07-06, 03:21 PM
Whatever the timezone is, it's going live at 9pm over here, according to the steam countdown. So, let's just set it for then eh? The countdown doesn't lie ;)

FIDDY
07-07-06, 05:31 PM
Couldn't find it in any shops to buy it :(

Pre loading now so i will still be there although i would of rather bought it

NcA
07-07-06, 06:11 PM
Well, you can pre-load it, then buy it from steam after the free trial weekend, and you won't have to install a thing! The pre-loading takes AAAGGGEEESSS however... Mine went to 70% really quick, then took about 20 mins + to do the last 30% :?

McBain
07-07-06, 06:41 PM
Same here. I thought 20 minutes to download a game was pretty quick though? How long do games usually take for you to download?

I think the first 70% is basically the HL2 engine, which you will already have installed, hence it starts off there.