PDA

View Full Version : The Ship

Fate
03-07-06, 04:07 PM
as you guys may be aware a new source game is about to kick off on steam called "the ship". it looked boring to me but, i thought i'd read up about it to see what it's supposed to be like and i found that it sounds truly awesome!!! heres the scenario;

you live on a cruise ship (1 of 6 huge cruise ship maps) as a charater of your choice (build them yourself) with lots of other players also on the boat. a game commences called "the hunt" you are given the name of someone that you must assasinate. heres the catch, no other players or NPC's must see you, no gaurd must see you, and you must leave no evidance. you kill them by ANY MEANS NECASSARY. heres the great bit. you can kill them with knives, guns, wrenches, crowbars, parts of mannaquins, you can throw them off the boat, drown them in a swimming pool, cut the susspenders of a chandaliere with them underneath it. pretty much anything!!! heres the very good part though, you have your targets name and you must assisnate them silently however, someone on the ship has your name and is after you!!! they can get you in your sleep, or with your pants down in the toilet. as with games like "the sims" you must forfill your characters needs (food, drink, energy, happyness, boredom, bladder). if you get seen by a gaurd you will have your weapons taken from you and locked up in the jail cells for a number of seconds 30-300 seconds depending on your crime. during this time you are easy pickings for an assasin who dresses as a gaurd.

sounds like a good game to me. so, i pre-purchased.
realeased 11th of this month.

FIDDY
03-07-06, 04:19 PM
That does sound good actually, how much is it?

Fate
03-07-06, 04:52 PM
its 15 dollars if you buy before 11th. so about 8 quid. bargain really :lol:

McBain
03-07-06, 05:21 PM
I remember reading about this a while ago. It's definitly an interesting idea. I'll probably wait and see how it turns out though :)

NcA
03-07-06, 06:08 PM
I love the premise of the game. Would pre-order it if I hadn't just blown my cash on a new x800XT and an extra gig of RAM :S I'll be checking it out when it gets released though! You'd all better start watching your back, cos i'll get you while you're least expecting it ;)

HUNTER
03-07-06, 06:11 PM
it sounds like a great idea and if it works it'll be great fun like a massive hitman game or something.

Fate
03-07-06, 06:32 PM
well ive pre-ordered it and the 1st day its released there will be a flood of people on the servers including me :lol: so i'll record you all a demo and stick it on here for you. ok guys?

FIDDY
03-07-06, 06:35 PM
Good idea mate :thumbs: Hope to see it soon!

Fate
03-07-06, 06:38 PM
well it all kicks off on the 11th, theres also a progressive story mode, tutorial and bots to play around nwith. i just like that you can use anything as a weapon :lol:

HUNTER
03-07-06, 07:12 PM
sounds good. Guess if more of us get it we'd end up killing each other :(

Fate
03-07-06, 07:14 PM
yeh but we'd have fun doing it. i really want to play it right now lol, everyone on the forums has been talking about all the differant ways to kill people theres SOOOO many :lol:

HUNTER
03-07-06, 07:28 PM
what about if you kill someone your not meant to kill?

Fate
03-07-06, 07:50 PM
if you don't hide it you get found out. you can also lure YOUR assasin to a secluded area to make him think hes got you, then turn around and ambush him!

jezzag
03-07-06, 07:51 PM
sounds good and kool if it all goes to plan when it is released :)

but i was wondering you said the game is on servers is it live like wow what if the person you have to kill isnt playing and doesnt play for ages or any more!
do you walk round for years shouting where is my victim?

:)

HUNTER
03-07-06, 08:03 PM
probably a time limit of a few weeks or something will have to be put in place to stop it.

dre
03-07-06, 08:42 PM
Definitly looks like an interesting game and i would be incredibly interested in purchasing this game as its something different.

Fate
03-07-06, 08:51 PM
no,no,no,no,no you guys got it all mixed up. your target is someone who is logged on to the same server as you. if he or she logs off then you are given a new target. yeh i thought it was something new so i'd buy it and for 8 quid you can't complain can you? :lol:

HUNTER
04-07-06, 08:14 PM
I got hold of a beta key and have to say aside from the slow walking and limited sprint its good fun.

Following someone downstairs with a gun and blowing them away is great fun.

Fate
04-07-06, 09:09 PM
you lucky person lol can i use your beta key or where can i get one?

HUNTER
05-07-06, 08:01 AM
i got one for being part of the press.

the key i used has been linked to my steam account so no you can use it.

It goes live next tuesday I think

Fate
05-07-06, 11:57 AM
how do you mean part of the press?? i've signed up to be a beta tester so hopefully i'll get a tatse before tuesday. can you give us some juicy info on the how the game plays???

McBain
08-07-06, 09:27 PM
What the hell, I've gone ahead and bought this. It sounds very different and looks rather professionally done. $17.57 all told, including taxes, which should equate to around

FIDDY
08-07-06, 09:48 PM
Please tell me what its like as i really would like this game but dont want to buy it unless it is really good. Also do you think this game will be available to buy in shops or only via steam download?

McBain
09-07-06, 07:49 AM
I could be wrong, but I think the website is suggesting it will be available in shops in September.

Fate
09-07-06, 03:02 PM
no your right mcb its available in september in the shops, that will include the single player story mode which will be huge. but if you but if from steam you won't get that story mode, you will have single player and tutorial but steam will release a seperate story mode to buy via steam nearer september for about 5 dollars.

Crippler2032
10-07-06, 05:26 PM
I've been reading up on this today and it sounds like great fun, the concept is interesting (with the needs and all) and it sounds like it could be a very interesting online game (not you usual FPS), I'm gonna pre-order this, i dont think it'll be something i'll play constantly but i expect i'll spend a couple of hours here and there on it :D

dre
10-07-06, 05:30 PM
Well it looks like ill have to wait till September for this and get it from the shops, as my mum doesn't have a credit card only switch cards :(

McBain
14-07-06, 11:10 PM
I've played this a fair bit this evening, it's kinda addictive I guess... but also a little frustrating at times.

We have a Lanarchy server, which has actually replaced the DoD:S server, as it seems to get some use already -

195.20.109.130:27000

Listen in to the LIVE podcast tomorrow afternoon for a bit more info on how it plays and my opinion on it :)

zedninja
15-07-06, 11:19 AM
o0 i see use got a server

McBain
15-07-06, 11:44 AM
Yes, we have. Please do not spam our forums like that again. I have deleted the 4 or 5 other spam posts.

DKpine
15-07-06, 06:40 PM
haha...spam...

i saw the picture for the ship when steam lanuchs and dismissed it cos it looked like a ship sim or something, but i saw some screenies and read this here now and im gunna have a good look at it, and probs invest when i get my arse to the bank.

whats the maximum number of players per server?

helios
15-07-06, 07:36 PM
We were chatting about this a bit at the podcast. The max players is 32, but it is VERY cpu intensive on the server at that level, so not many 32 player servers will be seen methinks.

McBain
15-07-06, 10:02 PM
Also, tbh, you dont want that many players. I've dropped the Lanarchy server down to 14 man at the moment. Mind you, that's more about trying to limit the crashes, but I see now the crashes are a known bug and they are working on them :roll:

Sharky
16-07-06, 09:07 AM
ok so i bought 'the ship' and its a good fun game for about

DKpine
16-07-06, 11:28 AM
ark, the cpu intensivness doesn't sound good. i'm running a quite average spec PC, so, might wait till i get to uni and my student loan and a new computer till i purchase.

how big are the maps then? cos 14 players over a cruise ship isn't that many me thinks...

helios
16-07-06, 11:39 AM
but it is VERY cpu intensive on the server

i didn't say it was CPU intensive on the client, only on the server. If you can run cs source, you should be able to run the ship.

Simon
16-07-06, 02:07 PM
Not true helios... check the minimum specs

McBain
16-07-06, 09:53 PM
So, there are a few more with it now... Lestat, Sharky and I think Maybe Lisa? As well as Crippler of course. Our server seems quite busy too :thumbs:

I just wanted to post a couple of tips I didn't realise until today :roll: Pressing 'P' takes you directly to the map. I'd been pressing I and clicking the map :side:

MFK = Money for kill. Try to make sure you use a different weapon to murder with. Once you've used an Axe once, you only get $100 per kill. I had a golf club worth like $16k for a kill today... I just couldn't kill any smegger with it :? Afterall, its only $25k needed to win the round :lol:

Maybe we should make a Hints & Tips thread for it?

Sharky
16-07-06, 09:56 PM
no lisa/faith yet, she hasnt shown the slightest bit of interest in it!! :shock:

HUNTER
16-07-06, 10:05 PM
i may have to pick this up. I played the beta and enjoyed it although i didn't like walking so slow.

Lestat
17-07-06, 08:39 AM
I love it, fantastic concept for a game and totally different to the standard mindless fps. Flare Gun FTW

DKpine
17-07-06, 01:11 PM
o wow, the money reward thing sounds ace, and im begining to understand how you win and stuff too, ACE!!!

Jak
23-07-06, 11:36 AM
for some reason steam wont let me buy games so i'll have to pass on the ship.

McBain
23-07-06, 07:05 PM
Really? Do you get an error of somekind?

Sharky
23-07-06, 09:26 PM
he was not using a credit card. even though he has visa, its a debit card methinks. silly steam!

Simon
23-07-06, 09:28 PM
Well that doesn't really make sense...

Jak
23-07-06, 10:16 PM
yes mcb just saying declined by the bank does my head in that you need a credit card to buy a game that cost

McBain
30-07-06, 11:16 PM
For the record, we now have the 10th ranked Ship server in the world, according to Game-Monitor.com.

In the UK, the only server more popular than us (not counting to 2 official OL ones) is the PC Gamer Elimination server, but I think we might pass them in the next few days. :thumbs: (it's empty right now, while ours has 13 people still on it)

Admittedly, there only seem to be 40 servers running right now, but 80+ are still ranked.

ArTFuL DoDGeR
30-07-06, 11:32 PM
How many people here actually have ship then? Do people play it reguarly, sorry i've been on holiday for 2 weeks and if a lot of people here play it and its good i may get it.

Stokes

ProfHawking
31-07-06, 12:48 AM
ive had a go, and its pretty cool.

Please please please tho, with your server,
increase the time for rounds. its nowhere near enough
and also, change it so that the person who murders their targets wins, not money.
things should never just be about the money!

McBain
31-07-06, 07:32 AM
1) Whats wrong with 90 seconds? To me that's just about right. Making it any longer would really, really slow things down.

2) Being about the money is very important. If it wasn't for that, people would just grab a fire axe or a pistol and keep murdering their quarries with those. The money system forces you to use other weapons, hence why its so important.