PDA

View Full Version : Red Orchestra- thoughs on it

Bob47
06-08-06, 02:41 PM
Well i thought it looked like a good game.

It is set on the Estern front in WWII (Germans vs Russians)
It has some features of the Unreal Engine.
The game play was alot to be desired.There was poor graphics on the feature of the people face and the verchials. But the background was very well done.

There isnt a crosshair and the only real aiming you have is when you use ironsight. But other than that there is little or no aiming.

So i was wondering what you thout of the game if you tried it because i didnt like it.

sorry if it has been done befor

Sharky
06-08-06, 02:44 PM
i tried it, 5 minutes into it i quit, and never went back :(

Niax
06-08-06, 02:57 PM

It's using the UE2 engine, so it has all the features of the Unreal at it's disposal - why it doesn't use them is beyond me - i'm glad I didn't fall into buying it and only played it on the free week, although the good thing is that it shows Unreal technology being transmitted over the Valve network.

DKpine
06-08-06, 02:58 PM
i played for about an hour, and was ultimatly extremly infruiated.

the cross hair thing doesn't bother me so much, it adds alot of realism i find. one thing that annoys me, is that, from a distance, because of the average graphics it can be hard to see who is on your team...this, unlike reality is a bit gay, cos in war, you know where your troops are, or at least meant to be, like "attacking this village, pinned down" etc, but, there is little of this, i dunno if this was because there was alot of newbies about and didn't know how to do it, but a BF2 style coms interface would have been good, obviously, fitting to the era, so, crackly radio contact, and arrows on your map and stuff to show what your team is upto.

the gameplay itself, is infruiating. the controls are not standard FPS', at least, modern FPS controls...obv, can be changed to suit the individual, but i jumped straight into a game and had little to no idea what to do...my fault, but still annoying.

graphics, are, old...at max res and detail, not bad, but still, nothing compared to the source engine we are used to. and, when you use the zoom on the sniper, everything goes realllllllly judery, at least on my comp on high scoped detail, which, was scary at first, then i changed to low detail, and was ok. but, its better if you use the rifle, cos the sniper adds little advantage to you, and only hinders your arc or sight.

obvectives arn't self explanity, the map is confusing for ages before you get used to it....game play is slow and very progressive, alot like planetside.

anyways, thats my view, linkage below to the gamespot reviews of RO, and planetside, seen as i mentioned it.

red orchestra: http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/redorchestraostfront4145/index.html?q=red

planetside: http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/planetside/review.html

gamespot seem to like these two games, but, i didn't. both where enjoyable for a while, and if you do get into them will be engrosed for a long long time. unfortunatly, i don't have the paitance.

SpyHunterUK
06-08-06, 05:10 PM
Tried it out today, complete waste of time; I think I'm just too used to WW2 games like DoDS, BF1942 and COD. :(

DKpine
06-08-06, 05:15 PM
the genre is kinda saturated with amazing games...and this anit one me thinks

HUNTER
06-08-06, 06:29 PM

It doesn't have some features of the Unreal Engine, its built apon the whole Unreal Engine.

Its a nice game, won the Make Something Unreal Contest a couple of years back which is how it came to get hold of its own Unreal Engine Lisence and be released across Steam.

Slippy
06-08-06, 07:18 PM
*Yawn*

Sums it up for me
Glad I didnt buy it

Lestat
07-08-06, 09:31 AM
Yeah quite frankly I found it extremely slow, painfull to play. Just not COD2 :)

jezzag
31-08-06, 08:29 PM
lol
dudes this is not css 10 minutes sharky :P took me about 5 hours to learn this game :)

its good because it feels real if you were in a war would you have a electronic map telling you where people are? and how they look ?

thats why i like it
:)

Sharky
31-08-06, 09:06 PM
10 minutes sharky

more like 5, well 2, i tried to get in the jeep at teh beginning, and i dont think i could, i gave up. annoyed the hell out of me.

jezzag
01-09-06, 08:26 AM
lol dude
you have to be one of the trained people to drive vehicles
probably why you couldnt get in :) i myself had the same problem at the start :oops:

oh well

:)