PDA

View Full Version : Changes To Weapon Pricings Ahead

McBain
11-09-06, 11:43 AM
The changes coming to the Counter-Strike: Source weapon and equipment economy are still underway, but we're not quite ready to announce exactly what we have planned. The scope of the change involves changing the prices of every item in the game—some more significantly than others. But that's just the beginning. We'll have more info on what's in store, soon.

Am I the only one concerned they seem to be messing with the gameplay quite a lot? The radar change, now changes to the weapon pricing?

Are their any weapons you think need adjusting?

BaDBoY UK
11-09-06, 11:50 AM
I think they are ok. I cannot see what's wrong with them now. Maybe they are all bored at Valve and need something to do.

McBain
11-09-06, 11:52 AM
I sometimes wonder if the AK is underpriced, but then many people say thats to balance how poor the Glock is. I don't really use the other weapons to comment on how good value they are...

BaDBoY UK
11-09-06, 12:00 PM
I truly feel the prices of everything is fine. Tha AK has it's flaws, especially in the hands of a noob close range. The price difference between the M4 and the AK is balanced based on pros and cons. The AK pwns long range, if the user can manage their bursts. The M4 pwns close range when not silenced and can go through walls, but is great for long range, pinpoint headshots too - hence their pricing.

Curfish
11-09-06, 01:02 PM
i think they will make the awp really expensive like 10k or summut and bring the price of the parar down

LFFPicard
11-09-06, 01:49 PM
it's just me but i think they will make the highe rend weapons more expensive to make people actually start using the lower range weapons more.

Thats just me though

artofdrowning
11-09-06, 02:42 PM
Personally I think they will slightly change the prices of grenades, FB's and smokes, making them slightly more expensive. I also think they will make SMG's a tad cheaper and rifles a tad more expensive.

I would also like to see them add Diazepam, a drug costing around $2000 to steady the nerves of the sniper, and adding a feature that would cause the sniper to be more 'shakey'. Atm it is too easy to take people out with the sniper, this would make it more realistic without the bog standard changing of the price.

Jak
11-09-06, 03:51 PM
I see your point art but that would change the game play to much i think picard may have it there main aim beign to make people use more of the weapons

Sharky
11-09-06, 03:59 PM
i like arts idea, but only because it makes it harder for others to snipe me!! but i also think it will encourage a wider useage of other weapons. not really bothered if it changes as i just use whatever. :D

BaDBoY UK
11-09-06, 04:08 PM
I would also like to see them add Diazepam, a drug costing around $2000 to steady the nerves of the sniper, and adding a feature that would cause the sniper to be more 'shakey'. Atm it is too easy to take people out with the sniper, this would make it more realistic without the bog standard changing of the price.

Ah yes, the days of MGS :side:

This is great idea... and would make the game more realistic

Penguin
11-09-06, 04:21 PM
Tha AK has it's flaws, especially in the hands of a noob close range

Try pressing the mouse down on the AK while turning the mouse upside down, and the bullets go everywhere. Even at close range, you'd be lucky as a noob to kill anybody by just doing that. Ak spray takes ages to get used to - you'd see how effective it is if you've ever seen me AK-spray properly (might have a demo somewhere :roll:)

Anyway, Im not looking forward to the update. Although,many people weren't looking forward to the radar, but then when it came all the competitive clans thought it was a good update :D

Gamith
11-09-06, 06:49 PM
I have said for some time that in the early rounds that whichever team gets the first win can get much better weapons, and the losing team can't afford anything decent.
I think that the pistols should be really cheap, the smgs (and possibly shotguns) a little more, and the rifles much more expensive.

If it was realistic though:
The CT's would get a standard loadout for free (since they would be issued with it) and if they wanted to get their own stuff then it would cost them.
The T's would be 'limited' to AKs, pistols and SMGs, and whatever they could pick up from the CT's.

ttfn

McBain
11-09-06, 07:00 PM
Surely making M4's and AK's more expensive will just add to the whole 'pistol round winner gets a big advantage'? Basically, if one team can win 2 or 3 striaght rounds, with most players surviving, it will make it even harder for the team behind to come back.

Gamith
12-09-06, 05:22 AM
It would also depend on how much you get for winning.. though the thought of having to win 6 rounds to buy a rifle is rather far-fetched we won't find out what Valve have in mind until the update.

ttfn

Gamith
23-09-06, 07:16 AM
Heres the plan
----------------------------------
DYNAMIC WEAPON PRICING

The cost of weapons and equipment that you purchase in Counter-Strike: Source are now based on an algorithm that calculates the global market demand for various weapons. As more people purchase a certain weapon, the price will rise and other weapons will become less expensive.

Starting October 11th, the prices you pay for weapons in Counter-Strike: Source will be updated every Monday based on the volume of purchases over the previous week
---------------------------------

****edited to add source - no pun intended:
http://steampowered.com/stats/csmarket/

ttfn

McBain
23-09-06, 07:57 AM
Oh wow, thats gonna be very, very interesting... and maybe a pain in the backside? Does that mean we'll have to unpdate the servers every week?

Also, you're basically not going to know what weapons cost each time. It should definitely get people buying different guns though...

dre
23-09-06, 09:35 AM
I doubt it to be honest, theres hardly any difference on average it takes about $50-100 on or off.

Lestat
23-09-06, 11:50 AM
Frankly it would be good if it was 50-100 but i think it will be more so the ak or colt could end up being 6000 frankly i have already signed the petetion abotu this being utter bollocks

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/save_source

McBain
23-09-06, 12:34 PM
They have a page with what the initial price changes will be here (http://www.steampowered.com/stats/csmarket/). Very few of them changing more than $100 initially.

Intense Fear
23-09-06, 04:06 PM
Is this a joke? i thought there was going to be a 1 off price change but a weekly one now? Also the prices look stupid, an example is the awp intended to be $4,744...so its $6 cheaper? I think this is going to screw up competitive play for clans and teams that actually have strict buy orders for matches.

Bob47
23-09-06, 06:28 PM
i find this stupid but still what ever price the guns are i will still never have enough to buy more than a degal and a nade so im never really bothered

Damn It Im Shite Tonight
23-09-06, 06:45 PM
i find this stupid but still what ever price the guns are i will still never have enough to buy more than a degal and a nade so im never really bothered

The Desert Eagle's going up to 930 from 650 :shock: Means first round you're stuck with a glock or have to buy another duff handgun if you're a T

Pants

DKpine
24-09-06, 04:31 PM
wow, thats a pretty cool idea i think...so, for a week, nothing will change, AK's and M4's...but then week two, everyone will have to use famas's and grails, then week after SMG's...then..etc etc...if it works like i'm thinking, it'll be a cool dynamic...also makes matches a bit different...depending on what week you play makes the tactics change...intresting to think about anywho

Cannon_Fodder
24-09-06, 04:38 PM
it obviously has it's good points and bad points, but looking at some of those starting prices, it's just going to be absurd, i can't imagine starting on t's in the pistol round is gonna be anything anyone will enjoy.
930 for a deagle just takes the cake a bit, thats almost as much as the tmp at 1165.
As with the AWP/AWM being cheaper by $6 i hardly see how that makes that much difference.

DKpine
25-09-06, 02:10 PM
right now, it doesn't, but as this global demand thingy comes into effect in the coming weeks and months, it will make more and more difference.

i recon...

Intense Fear
25-09-06, 03:17 PM
I'm guessing most people here dont know so look at this (http://www.csnation.net/viewnews.php/8482/).

There will be a cvar controlling this new functionality, mp_dynamicpricing, you can disable it if you wish by setting its value to 0.

:D

edit
26-09-06, 03:31 PM
I'm thinking that there are going to be a hell of a lot of servers, clan servers at least, that will be using the cvar to switch the money changes off. I'm not really sure about the money system they plan to put in place and I'm not sure I see the point in it.

I would hope the cvar to disable it will be used in matches and enforced by leagues/ladders, unless of the clans involved in the match agree to use the system.

I'm just not really sure what Valves aim is by doing something like this, it's not your simple money price change, it's on a weekly basis taking into account what money has been spent on in the previous week. All sounds a bit of an odd move to me, but you never know.

Sharky
26-09-06, 04:01 PM
i think i read somewhere in the link intense provides above, something about how it seems that valve are trying to impress by showing off their statistical and other capabilities by doing this. once again a decision made by the muppet big wigs and sod the gamers who actually play the game!

McBain
26-09-06, 10:06 PM
I dunno, I can see a reason for doing it. Generally, I buy only maybe 3 different guns... like, ever... If those guns start getting more expensive, I have to think more about my weapon choice, it almost adds another dimension to your tactics.

Also, if people have ever said 'that gun is underpriced and that one is overpriced' theoretically, this removes that arguement as we ourselves will set weapon prices for Valve. In theory, after two or three weeks they would settle down and find a static value.

McBain
02-11-06, 05:03 AM
The update's happened overnight, we now have dynamic weapon pricing. We'll give it a while I guess, and see how it goes? It can be turned on or off with mp_dynamicpricing anyway.

Gamith
02-11-06, 05:45 AM
I wonder how long it'll be before they start affecting the supply angle as well - as in 'Sorry unavailable because X clan has bought them all'

ttfn

BaDBoY UK
02-11-06, 07:28 AM
I like the idea of this. Some players can only play with one gun and it's boring (I mean on public of course).

I havent really been paying attention to this, so does "dynamic" mean that one round's prices can be different to another's? I.e. the deagle will cost say 1k one round, then 2k depending on who has bought it?

Jak
02-11-06, 10:48 AM
Nah mate on a weekly basis steam will collate the current amounts of weapons bought and break it down into most and east then they will work out a percentage increase or decrease in price.

see this will help explain
http://steampowered.com/stats/csmarket/

Intense Fear
20-11-06, 11:14 PM
Anybody been looking at the latest prices?

Mac10 & TMP for pistol rounds?!?
Glock for a dollar
12k and rising Deagle

Dont forget your nightvision :wink:

McBain
21-11-06, 12:21 AM
Well, 6k and rising. 12k is the projected price, but still... how the hell is the Deagle the most expensive weapon in the game!?!?!?! What idiot keeps buying it for 6k?!?!?!

It is kinda working though, in that you can see by the graphs that the AK, Colt and Deagle are being bought less now than they were 3 weeks back. Mind you, people are probably buying nothing that round and saving to buy one the next round :roll:

michaelw00d
29-11-06, 12:35 PM
I was wondering last night about who would really pay 6k for a deagle, cus it is stupid, then I wondered if Valve actually discount the statistics from the servers which do not encorporate this change. If they didnt it would mean they are gaining all this information from servers where the prices are still normal, meaning people would still by deagles. This seems like a more logical explanation than people actually forking out 6k for them, and it is correct then it is really bad on Valves part!

Michael.

Simon
29-11-06, 02:55 PM
the Projected price is now $24k for the deagle :|

Sharky
29-11-06, 04:13 PM
This dynamic weapon pricing thing is a joke. Yes it makes people use more weapons, but the prices of some are ridiculous. As stated before, this is valve just showing off, and they have little thought for us gamers.

Cannon_Fodder
30-11-06, 12:38 AM
it's getting more and more out of hand, who in gods name is gonna pay 3.8k for full armour? :S
and considering the price difference from just the kevlar (673) this means that the helmet is worth 3.1k.....something isn't right there :S
as for 13k for a deagle, with a probably rise to 24k....:S i'm sure some players never even get to 24k let alone have that much to spend on a pistol.
As sharky said this entire DWP system is a joke and the prices are becoming ridiculous

Lestat
30-11-06, 07:49 AM
Considering you can't have more than 16000 maybe a little difficult.

Kona
30-11-06, 07:54 AM
Considering you can't have more than 16000 maybe a little difficult.

Exactly what i were thinking, so what will valve do about this?? Surly as you cant buy the deagle will valve step in and remove or change the system?? Its all a joke tbh.

McBain
30-11-06, 09:02 AM
Michael, I proposed the same logic somewhere (or maybe it was when talking to someone). If the prices change bases on servers that don't even use DWP, they will never balance out...

If this is how it works, what a ridiculous system :roll:

Simon
30-11-06, 09:08 AM
I don't think that is how it works because if you go on http://steampowered.com/stats/csmarket/ and click on a specific gun you will the sales increase/decrease as the price does the opposite.

Quite interesting graphs showing people are stubborn with what they buy, as sales are only slightly affected.

As for the servers which don't use DWP, we'll find out when the deagle goes to $24k, and see if anyone still manages to buy it

michaelw00d
01-12-06, 03:59 PM
Yeah that will be the best test, if it hits 24k and increases then clearly Valve are just retards and forget to remove the servers without DWP. I think there is clear enough evidence already with people paying 6,000 a go! Almost everyone would buy a deagle for the pistol round on non-DWP servers and of course Scout/Deagle is the single best combination! So the price will never be accurately represented by including those servers without DWP!

Ry4n
02-12-06, 12:57 AM
i stopped playing counter strike as this was introduced - mainly because its a f*cking joke.

McBain
02-12-06, 06:42 AM
You can still play on our servers... we have it turned off :thumbs:

Ry4n
02-12-06, 07:58 AM
Im addicted to wow :(

but i might jump on in the future :lol:

malganis
03-12-06, 12:21 PM
So it's been incorporated now? I take it it didn't go down too well then?

Wow CSS is going to be so different when I start playing again...

Stewie
04-12-06, 07:31 AM
Same here. When I get back at Xmas its going to be a new Experience.

Damn It Im Shite Tonight
31-01-07, 10:11 PM
What's happened to the prices!!?? I try and join a server after nearly 8 months of not playing regularly and I can't afford a thing. I'm sure I remember being able to buy the CT rifle (M4) with about $3500. I check now and it costs $6500. Am I mistaken or is nothing affordable any more?

And I've got to faff around changing my auto buy script :wall: And not just once! Every goddamn Monday. What a pisser.

MackTee
31-01-07, 10:55 PM
All I could afford at the weekend was a large stick to fight with.
And that cost $1575

McBain
01-02-07, 08:16 AM
Damn It, just don't join a server with Dynamic pricing enabled...

Damn It Im Shite Tonight
02-02-07, 07:09 PM
ah right, I'll have to have a trawl through and update my faves. What time does the Lanarchy server get busy? Seems to be empty around 22:00 when I look to play.

McBain
02-02-07, 09:35 PM
The Dust2 Office server has rather died a death. At present it's a Dust2 Only Server.