PDA

View Full Version : CS:S Hitboxes

McBain
23-10-06, 09:49 AM
An interesting video -

[flash width=425 height=350:308ed622a4]http://www.youtube.com/v/8xNe7LuQ4OI[/flash:308ed622a4]

BaDBoY UK
23-10-06, 10:09 AM
That is bloody awful, but hey, we all know hitboxes lagged. What is interesting is that the hitboxes are in front of most of the characters there! I assumed they would be behind. ]

Jak
23-10-06, 10:22 AM
Yeah its bad the boxes are infornt due to the server predicting where the player will be for both clients im sure it depends on how the server handles the info and how it is setup.

[OLSC]Hitman
23-10-06, 10:29 AM
Interesting, I wonder if the hitboxes are in front so that when coupled with the lag from an Internet Server, they match where the model will be displayed on the client PC.

McBain
23-10-06, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I think Jak's right. It's not that they lag, they are trying to counter 'lag'. Put them slightly forward, so when the slight lag brings them back, they are on the actual model. They are so far forward in this demo because he's playing bots on his own machine... zero lag.

**EDIT** Damn, Hitman replied the same time as me... yes, that's what I think Hitman too.

[OLSC]Hitman
23-10-06, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I think Jak's right. It's not that they lag, they are trying to counter 'lag'. Put them slightly forward, so when the slight lag brings them back, they are on the actual model. They are so far forward in this demo because he's playing bots on his own machine... zero lag.

He he, great minds, simultaneous posts! :lol:

Intense Fear
23-10-06, 11:34 AM
The hitboxes are infront of the model because hes using cl_interp 0.1 so basically where ever he is on his screen people will see his model 0.1 second later from where it should be. With server add-ons like zblock it enforces this to 0.01 making the smallest possible delay or on servers without commands that block interp put cl_interpolate 0 and cl_interp 0 and you'll have absolutely no delay and the hitbox will be on the model...it'll just be really jerky because its almost impossible to track everyone exactly where they are unless your on lan.

MackTee
23-10-06, 12:27 PM
So is this the knack that the CS gods out use in leading the target just that little bit and getting the hitbox and not aiming direct at the model.

Interesting...

Gamith
23-10-06, 12:27 PM
I always thought that the hitboxes were at fault - at last I am proved right!

I suppose that it could also be that the real image of the person is being delayed, rather than the hitboxes being predicted - either way it adds up to the same thing - don't shoot at the person, since you'll miss :-(

ttfn

artofdrowning
23-10-06, 02:47 PM
For some reason this doesn't happen with me, if i shoot the head it hits the head, if i don't, then it doesn't..

HUNTER
23-10-06, 07:41 PM
that is really, really bad. Well I know where to aim now :)

Jak
23-10-06, 07:53 PM
Dont aim to far forward tho mate remember he's using bots which have no lag real players on another computer means the hitbox will be closer to the model .

NcA
23-10-06, 07:53 PM
It just goes to show that you should always aim in front of the person's path, or aim further than you might think when waiting for people to round corners... The hitbox issue has been going on for ages now, it's why people still play 1.6. The hitboxes are smaller, and more accurate to the person's actual model than source.

McBain
23-10-06, 10:16 PM
Did no-one actually read the comments directly after the first post then :roll: Sure, aim infront of them... you'll miss. Also, see Intense's comments... I'm with Art myself. I aim at the head, I hit the head. But then, if you've actually read what we've been typing, you'll understand why our servers wont be like the video shown.

Cannon_Fodder
24-10-06, 01:58 AM
on a a side note :D good choice in music though. I would like to see this experiement tried on the LNY servers to see how far the hitboxes are out on a server which is entirely player based.
I'm half with art and mcbain, sometimes it get perfect reg with HS's at other times it seems to be obscenely bad.

malganis
24-10-06, 11:32 PM
Yeah the LNY hitboxes aren't THAT far off, it would be good to try that model and hitbox view thing though.

I remember this one time I managed to sneak right up on Timo and shoot him in the back of the head twice and it didn't register. I was so annoyed when he just turned around and killed me!

action duck
13-12-06, 10:46 PM
That explains all of these lucky headshots i get from shooting next to the person.