PDA

View Full Version : Valve to charge LAN Centres for CS?

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
23-10-03, 02:12 PM
http://www.shootclub.barrysworld.net/scweb/index.html

follow the link to the news article

Sc00by
23-10-03, 03:10 PM
*coff* wankers *coff* :evil: :( :crying:

Crippler2032
23-10-03, 03:13 PM
doesnt suprise me in the slightest, they are looking for a way to get as much cash as they can from a 5 year old mod... firstly with CS:CZ altho that thankfully looks like it will NEVER hit shelves.

looks to me like they want to make as much cash off CS as they can before they release HL2 and it gets replaced, then they can make as much as they can off that one too...

Peter Piper
23-10-03, 03:31 PM
Just read it and i think people will start to go the way of Igames. Plus there are other games developers who want their games included at Lan tournaments and Valve have just given up that slot.

Personally i think Valve need the money to pay their staff to replace the 33% of code that went missing from HL2 and this is their way of getting it. And now maybe the over 40,000 CS servers will drop down to just 2 because i am sure some idiot saw how many there was and his brain started registering $$$'s. I wonder if he is related to Blair or Livingston with the Congestion Charge idea :?: :idea: .

Anyway bring on some other Mp games for us to slug out and become worl famous:lol:

wintermute
24-10-03, 09:47 PM
Personally i think Valve need the money to pay their staff to replace the 33% of code that went missing from HL2 and this is their way of getting it.

Strangely enough, 33% of the HL2 code was posted onto the internet, maybe they could just download that instead...

:)

Rob

McBain
08-12-03, 08:22 AM
Interestingly enough, I came across this on a LAN shops website -
VALVe will start charging LAN centers, that have already paid for copies of Counter-Strike, to pay for a license fee in order to allow them to use their software titles, which includes CS. Gaming centres have already bought Half Life and Counterstike for each of their PCs, but now Valve want centres to pay thousands of pounds in additional fees.

As such, iGames will be withdrawing all activities, leagues and tournaments for Counterstrike 1.6 at the end of this current season. I highly suggest you read the full story here (http://www.iguk.org/?a=post&id=40633)

Skavorn
04-01-04, 12:55 AM
Harrow Life wont be happy :shock:

I think thats disgusting...and greedy.... :evil:

McBain
04-01-04, 01:01 AM
Harrow Life wont be happy :shock:
I don't they are bothered tbh, as they decided to drop it when steam came out I believe.

Gamith
14-05-04, 07:27 AM
With so many mp games around it means that people will just move to another.
I guess it's the accountants/lawyers wanting to see more money and thinking of how M$ does it..
Fro what I recall I don't think the HL2 source was 'taken' it was copied, so it's not as if they had to replace it, I suspect they had to unplug their development network from the internet.
I wonder what will happen if they start charging a fee for steam time..

TTFN

wintermute
14-05-04, 12:42 PM
Probably someone will start writing an open source HLDS :)

Rob