PDA

View Full Version : Best British Comedy...Ever!

Smokey
31-10-03, 06:34 AM
I was watching UK Gold last night and I saw Blackadder was on. After watching it for about 2 secs I realised that it eally is a brilliant programmme. I remember watching it first time round when I was a kid and laughing at the bits kids are supposed to laugh at (ploppy etc..), I then realised that 15 years later I was still laughing at the same bits... ahhh memories.
So my challenge to the nation is to name the BEST/FUNNIEST British comedy ever.

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
31-10-03, 07:10 AM
red dwarf (although it did get a bit too americanised in the last few series-es)

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
31-10-03, 07:19 AM
Only Fools and Horses has to be in with a shout?

Fawlty Towers?

ratty
31-10-03, 07:24 AM
fawlty towers,

but in a VERY close second has to be blackadder (4th series, then 2nd, then 3rd, then 1st)

Smokey
31-10-03, 07:25 AM
All good so far. I was never really a fan of Fawlty Towers, I could never get into it too much.
I'm going to throw Men behaving Badly into the mix, I think living with a group of lads in a dingy London flat helps you appreciate tit more.

McBain
31-10-03, 07:37 AM
I'll change it into a poll when we've got maybe a 'complete list' :)

I would go for OFAH, Blackadder and RedDwarf, all already mentioned.

Although I don't think either are in the same league as the above mentioned comedy classics, Porridge and Open All Hours still make me chuckle.

Men Behaving Badly is definitly in with a shot too
Bed! Bed's for sleepy people! Let's grab a kebab and go to a disco! :lol:

Red Dwarf took a turn for the worse somewhere around series 5 I think. The first four are just brilliant. RD probably has the biggest fan base of all these comedies wouldn'y you say? Maybe due to it's Sci-Fi Star Trek style fans?

Smokey
31-10-03, 08:03 AM
Your probably right, I still liked some of the later RD but the defining 'sh*t' point was when that girl turned up, rubbish!!

In my top 5 (not in any specific order) I would have...
1. Men Behaving Badly
2. Red Dwarf
3. Blackadder(s)
4. Bottom
5. Only fools and horses

Funny how noone's mentioned George and Mildred!

Psycho Hamster
31-10-03, 08:25 AM
I agree with all the above, Red Dwarf and Blackadder being my fav's :D

[OLSC]Fizban
31-10-03, 08:58 AM
Goons (yes I know it's a radio show, but it's a british comedy radio show)

Fizban
The cause of the problem is:
multicasts on broken packets

Smokey
31-10-03, 09:25 AM
Peter Sellers was a genius, this could maybe be extended to greatest ever British film (in the comedy category of course). I've just dne a quick search to see if Jeeves could remember any other comedies, the only one he kept coming up with was the Young Ones (no wonder he never reached higher than the rank of butler).
I'm trying to think which of 'todays' comedies will still be enjoyed in 10 years and the only one I can think of is anything with Alan Partridge in... back of the net!

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
31-10-03, 09:32 AM
<snip>... living with a group of lads in a dingy London flat helps you appreciate tit more.

freudian slip?

And McB, punishment is required - go and type 1000 times "I must not mention Red Dwarf and Shit Trek in the same sentence"

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
31-10-03, 09:44 AM
I would guess that OFAH has the biggest fan base, judging by the audience for the last couple of series and the Christmas specials. Though RD probably does have the largest amount of 'hardcore' fans. It's not often you see Blackadder conventions is it?

Of all the ones mentioned, I probably liked the first couple of seasons of Red Dwarf the best at the time (probably at least partly because it was 'mine' whereas the others were watched by my parents), Blackadder is probably the funniest and Fools and Horses is probably the greatest, if only because it managed to be consistently funny for so long - shame about the couple of specials though, they really should have quit while they were ahead.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned The Office yet. I think its probably too early to properly judge it yet, and I haven't seen more than a couple of episodes since it was too damn painful to watch...

McBain
31-10-03, 09:44 AM
I'm trying to think which of 'todays' comedies will still be enjoyed in 10 years and the only one I can think of is anything with Alan Partridge in... back of the net!
I don't enjoy him now, so I doubt I will in 10 years time :? I can't really think of any current comedies that I watch...only the older ones.

Papa Smurf]go and type 1000 times "I must not mention Red Dwarf and Shit Trek in the same sentence"
Can I use copy and paste? :(

Some other comedies to throw into the mix (not favourites of mine, but quite good)One Foot In The Grave
Fast Show
Father Ted
Dad's Army
'Allo 'Allo
Last Of The Summer Wine (the first ones)

Sc00by
31-10-03, 09:55 AM
ALan Partridge is probably the worst TV in the world...
Personal faves (again in no particular order) include:
Porridge
Monty Python
Red Dwarf
Blackadder (and 2 is easily my favourite)
Men Behaving Badly
The Good Life (but probably only becaise I used to have a HUGE crush on Felicity Kendal...) :)
The fall and rise of Reginal Perrin
Rising Damp
The Likey Lads (and whatever happened to the likely lads)
Open all Hours
The list goes on, but there is precious little to like about the current crop of british 'comedy' IMHO. The league of gentlemen? No thanks. Alan Partridge? Shite! Anything with Vic and Bob in it? Urgh!
(oh and I dont' like the fast show much either - though that's getting on a bit too)

One more classic: Saturday Night Live! I used to :love: this... Harry Enfield was even funny.

McBain
31-10-03, 09:56 AM
It's funny, how many of these shows mentioned are BBC and how many are from ITV? Personnally I think ITV is :poop: and I tend to avoid it where ever possible.

Smokey
31-10-03, 10:36 AM
When I was doing my search I noticed that a lot if not all were from the BBC. If I remember correctly the first series of Men Behaving Badly was shown on ITV, I think they sold it off cos of bad ratings (the first series was shite).
I forgot about one foot in the grave, that was brilliant.
I've obviuosly touched a nerve with Alan Partridge, each to their own I supposed. The office was good but I don't know if you can put it in the same group as the others as it is more a 'documentary' where the others are sit-coms, could be wrong though.

Sc00by
31-10-03, 10:49 AM
Sorry don't like the office either.
I just don't like comedy that is based on 'cringworthyness' So anything that relies on you laughing out of embarrassment rather than because it's really funny. Hence my dislike for Alan Partridge, The Office, Some mothers do 'ave 'em, etc...

The only current 'sitcom' I'll sit and watch is 'My family', mostly because the eldest son (Nick) is just a complete star! :D Unfortunately even that is largely shite.

ratty
31-10-03, 11:46 AM
Doh... how could i forget monty python....

can i mention hancocks half hour....i know its a bit old, but i remember seeing a few repeats and they were very funny

and my family is so realistic, but completely insane at the same time

i was actually having a discussion with my mates about todays comedies and the longevity.... we couldnt really think of any
except my family, but i dont think its gonna go down in history :cry:

wintermute
31-10-03, 12:29 PM
...appreciate tit more.

I've always appreciated tit. :P

Rob

wintermute
31-10-03, 12:33 PM
I can't really think of any current comedies that I watch

Because they don't show them on Paramount? :)

Do we get to include sketch show type comedies, or is it just situation comedies we're talking about? I really liked Chewin the Fat and Smack the Pony, also Have I Got News For You was always good for a giggle though they need to get Angus Deayton back.

Rob

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
31-10-03, 01:34 PM
Qi is good

Sc00by
31-10-03, 02:25 PM
Never Mind the Buzzcocks tends to make me really laugh out loud. And back in the day that improv program with Clive Anderson as the host was funny on occasion too. WTF was it called?

[space left so I can edit the post when it comes to me just after I've hit post] *edit* and it did! :oops: Who's line is it anyway! *edit*

Anyway the funniest program on TV at the moment has to be Pop Idol. Simon Cowell is just hilarious! :evil: Shame we have to sit through a load of karaoke just to hear him shit on some poor teenagers ego though.

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
31-10-03, 02:53 PM
HIGNFY with Boris Johnson presenting was the funniest thing I've seen in millennia ;)

My Family was pretty good, until it jumped the shark during the third series (IIRC). The second funniest thing I've seen in ages was when Nick 'tuned' the piano.
:lol:

SpyHunterUK
31-10-03, 08:24 PM
My Family and a program that was on a few mweeks ago called My Hero

McBain_PDA
31-10-03, 09:16 PM
'They Think it's all Over' makes me laugh too.

wintermute
31-10-03, 11:48 PM
Papa Smurf]Qi is good

Didn't really like that, which was a surprise to me because I usually enjoy Stephen Fry, but the whole thing came across as a bunch of folk trying too hard to be funny. Maybe I should watch another episode then?

Rob

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
01-11-03, 12:55 PM
does seem a little hit and miss at times, if you have a spare 30 mins then watch it again - if only to see Alan Davies get negative points....

McBain
02-11-03, 01:29 PM
So lets move on to greatest moment in British Comedy TV. I was watching HFAH 'A Touch Of Class' in the early hours of this morning, and that has one of my favourite moments, when Del and Rodney have the sheet held beneath the chandelier as Granddad drops the other chandelier :lol:

The other obvious OFAH is Del 'playing it cool', he leans on the bar but the barman has raised the side. You're cramping my style Trig

Red Dwarf classic moment would have to be the shrinking underpants in 'Polymorph'. Honestly, you'll bonk anything wont you Lister :lol:

wintermute
02-11-03, 01:57 PM
I liked 'Merango Chicken' and 'It's a smegging garbage pod' :)

Also, from Blackadder II: 'At home I sit on a spike', 'Nathaniel sits on me, two spikes would be a luxury'.

And again - 'You have a woman's purse m'lord', quotes so flexible you can apply them to almost any occassion :)

Rob

Smokey
03-11-03, 08:04 AM
" I f**king love you Deborahhhhh!!!!" In Men Behaving Badly is classic.

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
03-11-03, 08:32 AM
The Google calculator thread has reminded me of a comedy classic that has been a radio series, a book, a play (and possibly may be a film soon) as well as being a TV series.

"Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was 'Oh no, not again.' "

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
03-11-03, 01:49 PM
misquoting from the same scene "...big and round, ground. I wonder if it will want to be my friend"

class. :smokin:

wintermute
03-11-03, 08:41 PM
Going off at a slight tangent, but staying with DA:

"Currently the monk believed everything was pink"

That was the single funniest chapter I ever read...

Rob

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
03-11-03, 10:07 PM
i think we've found a winner!

ratty
04-11-03, 09:25 PM
from red dwarf....

Rimmer: Thats it, step up to red alert
Kryton: Are you sure sir?
Rimmer: of course i am. Set up to Red alert
Kryton: But sir, it does mean changing the light bulb!!!!

ratty
04-11-03, 09:30 PM
also red dwarf

Cat: i suggest we strap on the jet powered rocket pants and junior birdman the hell outta here
Kyrton: i good suggestion but with 2 tiny draw backs:
a) we dont have any jet powered rocket pants, and
b) there's no such thing as jet powered rocket pants outside the comic book robbie rocket pants....

Cat: Well, thats put a crimp on an otherwise damn fine plan...

briktopp
05-11-03, 06:00 PM
i was watching the newish sitcom by the same guy who wrote the Royal Family - i think its called the grapes. generally i think good Tv these days is where programmes work on different levels and this stuff does.

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
06-11-03, 10:34 AM
Via the wonders of the infinite improbability drive: New BBC radio series of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/cult/2003/11/04/7768.shtml) - the final three books get adapted. :D

edit: whoah, bizarre spelling.

duckandcover
06-11-03, 04:35 PM
Hmmm no one appears to of mentioned ' Spaced ' which is damn fantastic.

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
06-11-03, 06:08 PM
Now you're not wrong there.

Also bucks the trend of BBC series which seem to make up most of the rest already mentioned.

Smokey
06-11-03, 08:56 PM
The first series of Coupling was very funny, but I soongot bored with it. Did anyone see the last series?

chartwell
22-12-03, 09:51 PM
Faulty Towers was brilliant. I still watch it on VHS.

Smokey
10-01-04, 11:15 PM
The top 50 British Sitcoms has just been on BBC 2 with the top ten up for vote and the winner being anounced in March. The top ten (in no order) is as follows:
Blackadder
yes minister
the good life
porridge
only fools and horses
the vicar of dibley
one foot in the grave
Fawlty Towers
Open all hours
Dads army.

Between us all we just about managed to get the top 10 with the exception of the Vicar of dibley. Red Dwarf and Men behaving badly were in the top 20. You can vote at the BBC website.

McBain
10-01-04, 11:46 PM
OMG, how can they leave RD and MBB out of the top ten :cry:

It is hard to push any of them out mind you...maybe 'Yes Minister', but possibly only because I can't remember it too well. I do recall as a youngster I used to love watching it each week.

chartwell
10-01-04, 11:54 PM
Oh man, I love all those comedies in Smokey's list, especially the vicar of dibley and fautly towers. brilliant, absolutly brilliant. oops, there is another great comedy.

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
11-01-04, 08:14 AM
Yes (Prime) Minister was excellent - there's a programme they don't repeat enough...

chartwell
11-01-04, 12:30 PM
That is true. Why aren't similiar programmes made these days? It seems that the talent has died out.

wintermute
31-01-04, 05:42 PM
OK, so it's not British comedies but this site looks quite interesting:

http://classicsitcoms.com/index.html

Rob

McBain
04-02-04, 09:07 PM
Looks like it's time to get your votes in -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sitcom/vote.shtml

gob
28-03-04, 09:25 AM
Results from the big BBC vote are in:

1. Only Fools and Horses - a worthy winner for being consistently funny for so many years
2. Blackadder - my vote
3. The Vicar of Dibley - a good show - a female vote maybe seeing as it has the only female lead in the top 10?
4. Dad's Army - I remember this fondly when my mother watched it.
5. Fawlty Towers - Genius
6. Yes Minister - Fantastic show which maybe now they will repeat. Jim Hacker describing who reads which newspaper is a classic.
7. Porridge - Ronnie Barker at his best
8. Open All Hours - Barker and J-J-J-er Jason together :)
9. The Good Life - Why was this in the top 10? A surbiton vote?
10, One Foot In The Grave - Again funny but not worthy of the top 10 imho

All BBC shows. In fact the only 4 shows in the top 50(!!) that weren't BBC shows were:

11. Father Ted (C4)
26. Drop the Dead Donkey (C4)
27. Rising Damp (ITV)
36. Phoenix Nights (C4)

Which goes to show that at least part of our stupid licence fee goes to something we enjoy.

My personal top 5 is:

1. Blackadder
2. Red Dwarf
3. Fawlty Towers
4. Father Ted
5. Only Fools and Horses

Sorry for all the lists :)

Sc00by
28-03-04, 09:45 AM
I voted for Yes Minister, which was classic IMHO. For what ever reason it always felt so damn real yet still hugely funny.

I dislike one foot in the grave intensly, almost as much as the bucket woman...

Drop the dead donkey (the second highest none BBC one) deserves to be higher IMHO, that was classic too. It's possibly suffering from not being BBC?

Some thing else which I did agree with though was the Good Life. I note that you questioned it's top 10 appearence. got to be honest I always enjoyed it (thought that could just have been Felicity Kendal (Phwooor!)

Personal top 5:

Yes Minister - though again it could be the rose tinted memory
Blackadder (II especially) - Just superb.
"My Name is Kate"
"Kate? isnt' that a girls name?"
"It''s short my lord..."
"for Bob!"
Red dwarf - a classic in someone elses life time, especially series 3 and 4 (when the budget went up and the script writing quality hadn't deteriated to series 7 levels...)
Porridge - Nothing more to add, just superb.
Drop the dead Donkey - just great stuff. Dave was one of my favourite characters ever, indeed my PC was named after him for ages...

McBain
28-03-04, 09:49 AM
I think on the most part yuo can't do too much arguing with that list. I'd forgotten how funny Porridge was until they started showing them recently on UKG (and now bought them all from Play.com for

gob
28-03-04, 10:42 AM
A planet shaped like Felicity Kendall's bottom - we flew round that one a few times I can tell you.

I'm not knocking Good Life just think that there were plenty of others that were funnier - including Drop the Dead Donkey - now the feisty girl (Jay??) would have spanked Felicity Kendall's bottom from here to Dibley.

I mean come on - both Good Life and One Foot in The Grave above Father Ted, Red Dwarf, The Office, The Young Ones and New Statesman - do me a favour.

Must be a generational thing I guess.

Oh and my No. 6 was Porridge - every episode a joy and not a bad line in it.

McBain
28-03-04, 10:48 AM
Oh and my No. 6 was Porridge - every episode a joy and not a bad line in it.
~Fletcher stood holding a TV over his head, about to smash it over someone when Mr Mackay walks in~
Mr Mackay "What are you doing Fletcher!"
"Just adjusting the TV Mr Mackay. It's the vertical hold...."

:rofl:

Mind you, there aint no vertical hold on TV's nowadays :roll:

Sc00by
28-03-04, 11:07 AM
Well personally everything above the Office, which I don't like at all. Indeed I dislike it almost as much as I dislike Alan Partridge...

The young ones though! :thumbs: I was a big fan of the young ones tbh. And the New statesman. Alan B'stard was a cracking character, Rik Mayall at his best IMHO.

Don't know whether it counts as a 'Sit com' or not tbh, but the Hitchhikers Guide would be very close to the top of my all time favourite things that make me laugh too....

gob
28-03-04, 11:31 AM
I found the Office very funny - I see parts of a lot of people I have worked with (and even myself) in David Brent. There were some people who were surprised it wasn't in the top 10 but there have definitely been more than 10 funnier.

B'Stard - I guess a character that worked better when Thatcher was PM

wintermute
28-03-04, 09:50 PM
Drop the dead donkey (the second highest none BBC one) deserves to be higher IMHO, that was classic too. It's possibly suffering from not being BBC?

And also perhaps because it's based on current affairs? (Or affairs that were current in 1991, or whenever) Yes Minister was a bit more generic in it's plot points as I remember. Have I Got News for You suffers from that a bit too.

Rob

McBain
01-04-04, 07:27 PM
Anyone with UK Gold, 'Only April Fools and Horses' night tonight :thumbs:

From 7pm through until 2am I think :cheer:

Sc00by
01-04-04, 07:29 PM
nah I'll be giving that a miss. think I've seen 'am all once too aften... Though the scene in the pub with the bar flap and the falling is a classic that I could watch over and over again and still not get bored of it...

McBain
01-04-04, 07:32 PM
think I've seen 'am all once too aften...

:shock:

I'm not sure thats possible is it? :side: