Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum

Go Back   Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum > Interests > Film, TV & Music

Old 14-06-04, 06:42 PM   #1
gob
Warrant Officer

Send a message via AIM to gob
Default Harry Potter and the .... oh sod it - The Third One - Review

Well now what to say about this.

They are growing up. The film franchise is growing up. Much darker, some really nice little touches such as the Whomping Willow taking out revenge on passing birds.

This film had a much better feel and flow to it that the last 2, which is to be expected with a proper director in the chair (Alfonso Cuaron).

Some nice little cameos from Dawn French and Emma Thompson. Better acting from the 3 leads. Some hints that Ron and Hermione are gonna get it on at some point.

Not enoughof the brilliant Gary Oldman or Alan Rickman as Sirius Black and Severus Snape and a great performance by David Thewlis as Professor Lupin. Some main characters were almost totally absent (Dumbledore, Hagrid, McGonnegal, Draco Malfoy) which was a shame but to be expected with a (thankfully) reduced running time of 2h 20.

IMHO this was the best of the books and is certainly the best of the films thus far. Hogwarts geography seems to have totally changed and now looks much closer to what I imagined e.g. darker and more gothic.

I am so glad that Chris Columbus didn't direct this one. He was far too cutesy for my liking.

There was a lot of detail left out but that's what DVD's are for

Overall a good adaptation and worth a look if you liked the books.

8/10
Old 14-06-04, 08:54 PM   #2
Azreal
Major

Send a message via ICQ to Azreal Send a message via AIM to Azreal Send a message via MSN to Azreal Send a message via Yahoo to Azreal Send a message via Skype™ to Azreal

I also kind of enjoyed it, I think it was a huge step up from the second one, and daniel Radcliff is at least trying to act this time, there is a lot on the trailer that wasnt on the film. I agree with Gob and give it an 8/10
Crusaders:FFLUK 2011 Champions
Crusaders:FFLUK 2012 Champions
Crusaders:FFLUK 2013 runners up
Crusaders:FFLUK 2014 Champions
Crusaders:FFLUK 2015 5-8
Crusaders:FFLUK 2016 Champions

twitter Ello
Azreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-04, 08:21 AM   #3
Smokey

I'm sick of the sight of the little bastard, the sooner he grows up and graduates the better.
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-04, 08:41 PM   #4
gob
Warrant Officer

LOL Smokey - he will probably grow up before you
Old 16-06-04, 08:11 AM   #5
Smokey

No doubt, at least my voice has broken and I'm man enough to keep my wand to myself!!!
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-04, 11:35 AM   #6
gob
Warrant Officer

Quote:
and I'm man enough to keep my wand to myself!!!
Exactly
Old 25-07-04, 02:09 AM   #7
wintermute
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to wintermute Send a message via AIM to wintermute Send a message via MSN to wintermute Send a message via Yahoo to wintermute

I finally saw this on Friday night and wasn't too impressed. I felt like they rushed through the 80% of the book to get to the climax, which is fair enough if you're trying to fit it into a few hours I suppose, but they kept adding bits in that weren't in the book and ignoring large parts of the story. The patronus was a big disappointment too. Where did all these shrunken heads come from? Who put a giant pendulum in the middle of Hogwarts? And what were all those Dementors on? Flying about like overgrown bats...

I'd give it 5/10.

Rob
wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-04, 10:25 AM   #8
SpyHunterUK
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to SpyHunterUK

100's or mistakes in it, Thank God we got the british director mike newell for the 4th film
SpyHunterUK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harry, potter, review, sod