PDA

View Full Version : Joey

gob
25-09-04, 09:23 AM
Well I have just watched the 1st 3 episodes of this Friends spin-off and I was really expecting it to suck big time. I mean a series based on the most one dimensional character from a series that got less funny progressively over the last 6 years. How good could it be???

Well while it is not a classic like Frasier, Cheers, Everybody Loves Raymond (McB ;) ) or Friends series 1-3, this was actually funny!!

The premise is Joey moves to LA to continue his acting career and moves in with his nephew, a geek who has trouble with women. The problem is Joey's trampy sister who constantly invades their lives. Not a lot of brains needed to guess the stories thus far or the jokes, but they are delivered well by all the cast especially Matt LeBlanc who seems to be blossoming in this series now he is out of the shadow of Matthew Perry.

I was expecting nothing - I got a decent comedy - I hope it runs for a few years.

7.5/10

Azreal
25-09-04, 11:17 AM
I saw those 3 episodes as well, however what I didnt like about it was the shows intro, I mean how late 80s and early 90s was that intro. I did have a hard time with some of the lines Joey was using , I mean it was the typical punch line that Matt Perry would use and not Matt LeBlanc.

Joey's sister Gina played by Drea de Matteo is a very fine casting as a single trampy mom , Ive got to hand it to her she really got into this comedy thing from the get go , concidering she has been spending about 4 yrs on the Sopranos playing Christopher Moltisanti girlfriend(which rocks :) ) Paulo Costanzo (Road Trip) who plays Joey's bright intelligent nephew Micheal reminds me alot of a young version of David Schimmers geeky char Ross Geller, Oh and there seems to be a continuity error (not certain if thats the right word or if its spelt correctly but heck)on the show as Joey's new agent Bobbi(played by Jennifer Coolidge) played a different char in an episode of friend during the last season she played Monica's pesky friend with the fake british accent ( it was the episode when Ross got the fake tan done all wrong).also a little thing I noticed was if you guys remeber the little doodleboard in Joeys and Chandlers (during the time they where still roomates ) well its now hanging in the his new apartment now as well. (im so sad for noticing stuff like that :( )

The show is good cheap boobie humour laughs , I do hope it runs for a few yrs however I dont see that happening .(perhaps 3 or 4 seasons the max)

7.0/10

McBain
29-10-04, 09:40 AM
I've watched the first 4 shows now myself and...

Paulo Costanzo (Road Trip) who plays Joey's bright intelligent nephew Micheal reminds me alot of a young version of David Schimmers geeky char Ross Geller

That's exactly what I was thinking. For a while I was wondering if they would introduce characters that would be like Chandler, Monica, Rachel and Phoebe to basically just make it friends again :lol: It seems okay though.

Oh and there seems to be a continuity error on the show as Joey's new agent Bobbi played a different char in an episode of friend during the last season she played Monica's pesky friend with the fake british accent ( it was the episode when Ross got the fake tan done all wrong).

Americans don't seem to mind this. I remember in MASH, Harry Morgan playing Col. Potter arrived, a couple of seasons after playing a general that went nuts... two totally different characters, blatantly the same actor :lol:

also a little thing I noticed was if you guys remember the little doodleboard in Joeys and Chandlers (during the time they where still roomates ) well its now hanging in the his new apartment now as well. (im so sad for noticing stuff like that :( )

Yeah, I noticed that too :roll:

Generally I thought its pretty funny stuff. Joey's mannerisms will always make me laugh. I would go as far as giving it 8/10 :thumbs:

McBain
23-06-05, 06:38 PM
Well, I only just finished watching the last few episodes of this, and tbh, I didn't enjoy them as much as the first few. Maybe it was cause they were speanding too much time on relationships and all that bolloxs, rather than just being funny :roll:

gob
23-06-05, 07:35 PM
Yeah it didn't keep the laughs up as much later in the series. It only just got renewed after a lot of speculation that the first year would be the last so it will have to get better to make it past Xmas

Brisk4
24-06-05, 03:56 PM
its not that bad, i give it 6