PDA

View Full Version : AvP- A review

Smokey
26-10-04, 06:00 PM
This is my first so please be gentle!

I have been waiting for this film for around a year now and it has caused much excitement in the smokey household. To see 2 of my favourite franchises come face to face was a mouth watering prospect and one i wasn't going to pass up. Ever since Danny Glover found the Alien skull in Predator 2 we all knew it was going to happen. Due to the fact i'm still on crutches and reliant on people giving me lifts I got to the cinema early, got my free tickets and took a seat and perched a leg (I knew those booster seats would come in useful!). Adverts, trailers, house lights down, stupid orange phone advert... excitement at an all time high... credits start... might just wet myself... 5 minutes go by.... still on a high... another 5 minutes.... shot down in a blaze of glory even the great arnie would of been proud of. Where was all the tension? where were the character building which (although only slight) was at least present in the first 2 of each outing? and worst of all where was the anticipation? although we know the principal monsters well enough by now you still can't wait to see how they make their entrance. All of this was missing and the film suffers from there on. Predator and alien 1 and 2 in my opinion are almost horror films, anything that makes you check under the bed before turning the light off goes into that genre, after watching this I am still unsure as to what kind of film this actually is. It wasn't even funny!
Not to give too much away the plot is as follows... Once upon a time the earth was ruled by the predators (!), the human race used to worship them like gods and they use humans to 'breed' the aliens so that they can hunt (for a laugh I assume) in a big pyramid. If the Aliens get a bit frisky the preds blow themselves up therefore wiping the whole lot out. Every 100 years they come back to earth to try again. Here is the first problem/mistake... Pred 1 was set in 1987 (at least released then), pred 2 was set in 1997, AvP was set in 2004, now my maths isn't great but last time I checked 2004 minus 100 years is not 1987 and it's certainly not 1997. Are we to assume that the preds in the first 2 somehow didn't know how to tell the time!? The new one is set in the antartic which as we all know is very cold and snowy, the first 2 predator films made a point of saying that the preds only hunt when its warm! you've got to build up a big sweat to get warm on an iceberg.
The rucks between the alien and the predator are good but i felt they were shot and edited too quickly and it's hard to see all the action. The goodies were rubbish... SPOILER ALERT... and when one goodie makes friends with a pred I almost left.
IMHO this was garbage, they should have just gone the whole way and made either a new Predator or a new Alien and not bothered with this cross over.
Smokey rating 2 out of 10

Azreal
26-10-04, 06:07 PM
Thanks smokey you just saved me a complementy ticket :) , I was thinking about going to see it over the weekend. This Film is one of the main reason why Sigourney Weaver left the frachise.

Smokey
26-10-04, 06:09 PM
I think the smartest person was definately Arnie, he knew when to call it a day!
The funny thing is if he or maybe someone like the Rock was in this it might have been good!

Azreal
26-10-04, 06:14 PM
I think I would be more tempted to see it if the Rock was in it (damn that sounded gay ) due to his recent success of films , Arnies last couple of films T3 and that film when he has a clone (sorry fim was to crap to remember the title) were an indication that he should pass the torch on .

Smokey
26-10-04, 06:22 PM
I am offended, ARNIE REIGNS SUPREME!!!!!!!
you are probably right though, i though it was a nice touch in Welcome to the jungle with Arnie at the beginning.

Azreal
26-10-04, 06:44 PM
I noticed in the trailers and in the casting list for the film that the guy that plays Bishop ( Lance Henriksen) from the Aliens film was in the movie as well, whats the deal with that did he play bishop the robot or someone else ?

Crippler2032
26-10-04, 07:47 PM
nope, he played a Bussiness man not Bishop the andriod. probably good seeing as its set in 2004

Smokey
27-10-04, 08:33 AM
But he had nothing to do really with anything, i thought it was a bit confusing to have him in there to be honest.

zippo_the_clown
27-10-04, 12:30 PM
yeah saw this film a while ago could have told ya it was crap at the lan i think the main problem with it was being a 12a where as both alien and predator where 18's it looks like all films are going this way to improve the profit made on them a shame for the people who want good quality films with a bit o gore

wayhay im now a usp best pistol in cs

Smokey
27-10-04, 12:37 PM
It was actually a 15 but I think they planned for a 12A so if you saw it before it came out it could have changed cert.
The film industry is definately moving to lower certs to improve income, i think it's a shame really as you do feel the film makers are holding back with violence and swering etc. Bring back the 80's!!!!
I just can't believe how crap it was, it didn't tie in with the other films at all. I'm getting angry again now!

McBain
27-10-04, 12:56 PM
Easy Smokey, deep breaths!

Azreal
27-10-04, 12:58 PM
you cant really expect this film to be a class film when the director Paul W.S. Anderson is responsible for resident Evil 1 and 2 ( produced both of them) and mortal kombat.

Smokey
27-10-04, 01:12 PM
It's just such a waste, they should have concentrated on Predator 3 instead

briktopp
28-10-04, 08:35 PM
I'm not sure it was swearing and violence that made the predecesors better. More likely good story and commitment to building up suspense and characters etc.

i saw AVP last night and it was as good as expected really but i expected very little. It was A-Z set piece action thriller. I quite like some of the pyramid concept stuff, some of the battles were superb and visually whats not to like.... So whats the problem...well all the mystery has gone really hasnt it, I mean once upon a time the Alien was this teryfying wondorus cult film enigma now its this farting dribbling mess thats resorted to popcorn/money-making drivel...but at least it hasnt taken to auditioning for a part in Baywatch like the Predator.

:P

Smokey
29-10-04, 08:24 AM
Watched Pred2 yesterday, forgot how much of a decent film that was. Very Raw

[OLSC]Hitman
29-10-04, 09:41 AM
I liked Resident Evil 1! :P

Skavorn
05-11-04, 05:06 PM
I'm gonna watch it tonight.....but only because its the only film my friend doesn't have a *cough* version of...

My only excuse is to eat popcorn anyway...