PDA

View Full Version : War of the Worlds:teaser trailer

Azreal
10-12-04, 11:54 AM
Release Date: June 29, 2005
Studio Paramount Pictures
Director: Steven Spielberg
Screenwriter: David Koepp
Starring: Tom Cruise, Tim Robbins, Miranda Otto, Dakota Fanning, Justin Chatwin, Rick Gonzalez, David Alan Basche

Now this is a film that I cant waite to see , looks like Steven Spielberg finally got sick of teaming up with Tom hanks and decided to go after Tom Cruise.the teaser doesnt show much , but it looks awesome
anyway.

teaser : http://www.waroftheworlds.com/

[OLSC]Hitman
10-12-04, 12:42 PM
Two questions:

Will it still based in England, or will Hollywood have moved it to America?

Will they use the existing "War of the Worlds" music or screw that up too?

Azreal
10-12-04, 01:06 PM
Ive got a feeling that hollwood have moved it to America, as for the music John Williams is credited for writing an original score.

[OLSC]Hitman
10-12-04, 01:50 PM
Typical :evil: & Shame :( , it won't be the same without Jeff Wayne's music.

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
10-12-04, 04:51 PM
"no-one would have believed...." :twisted:

i bet they have the "rogue, yet noble american scientist" who single handedly engineers an antidote to the red weed/martians :evil:

[OLSC]Fizban
10-12-04, 09:50 PM
and uploads it with his ibook?

Fiz

PS What's the differnece between Red Weed and normal Weed?

Psycho Hamster
11-12-04, 04:31 PM
Stupid Yanks! :evil:

Smokey
13-12-04, 08:23 AM
I am not familiar with the book but I get the general idea, how can they make this film and not have it compared to ID4?

gob
05-07-05, 04:14 PM
Saw this today. It is awesome for all but the last 5 mins which wrap the film up. No spoilers here but there is a real sense of menace all the way through. There are no rogue but noble scientists anywhere in sight, just big arse alien tripods, carnage and destruction.

The end was a bit disappointing but at least it was quick and didn't drag on like the end of Return of the King.

Spielberg at his best and Tom Cruise is very good too. 9/10

Azreal
05-07-05, 04:19 PM
I also agree I thought the ending was very rushed, and disapointing, but great effects anyway. 8/10

Brisk4
05-07-05, 05:26 PM
The end was a bit disappointing but at least it was quick and didn't drag on like the end of Return of the King.

hmm , i think the ending was good, becuase you actualy know what happens. In loads of films i always want to know what happens after, but in lotr everything most things were explained, thouhg people new to lotr may wonder where they go to at the end. thats all i can think of

wouldn't it just been lame if they left it them on the rocks? then you would think, how did they get out of there, etc

gob
06-07-05, 07:18 AM
The end was disapppointing because it feels more like a footnote to let you know what happened rather than an actual ending. And I have no real need to know in every film what happens in the end as I have an imagination.

And with LOTR the end was 30 mins which after 3 hours already sitting in a cinema was way too long.

Sc00by
06-07-05, 09:55 AM
Going to go watch this @ the weekend, but on the LOTR thing; not only was the end too long IT WASN'T EVEN THE END! :wall:

But lets not get me started on that... ;)

SpyHunterUK
06-07-05, 08:50 PM
The hobbits actually end up all dying in the full history of it :P

(of old age)

helios
06-07-05, 09:12 PM
true, and they missed the thing with hobitton and the shire being taken by the dark forces, not to mention they missed out tom bombadil :sadwalk:

briktopp
12-07-05, 05:26 PM
ahh the hobbits all die do they? what happens did they keep falling over frodo-style and claim they cant go on until someone got so pissed off with their incessant moaning that they chopped their stupid big feet off and they bled to death?

anyway back to War of the Worlds. The end was anti-climatic but it didnt spoil it for me because it was about the journey there. Anyway how else would you have ended it - perhaps tom cruise lures the aliens to a back to back screening of all 3 of "frodo's fallen over" and they get so irritated their brains implode

Spielberg hasnt lost the magic has he. Loved this film

Mincemeat
12-07-05, 05:36 PM
I saw this film while on holiday in the states. I give it a 7/10. I thought the story was very shallow. But the special FX made up for that.

Azreal
12-07-05, 05:42 PM
You could tell the David Koepp wrote the screenplay for the film. most of his screenplays involve children.

SpyHunterUK
12-07-05, 05:44 PM
7/10 too.

Wasnt as scary as I hoped for :P

McBain
22-03-06, 10:08 PM
The end was disapppointing because it feels more like a footnote to let you know what happened rather than an actual ending. And I have no real need to know in every film what happens in the end as I have an imagination.

Erm, I don't have an imagination, I like to be told what happened... :side: Okay, so the birds where on one of them, therefor the shields were down...? We earnt the right to be on the plant? What? I thought these aliens had been planning the attack for millions of years? (Btw, why didn't they just take it back then, no humans to get in the way?)

What happened? Why did they all topple?

I found too much in the film I was asking things like 'Er, how come they were the only ones (as well as the army and one film crew???) to have a working car, on the entire planet apparently'.

Why did Tim Robbins take them in and no-one else?

How, when a frickin Jumbo Jet had crashed on their house, everything around it was ruined... did their car still look like it was sat on a garage forecourt, ready to go!

Some good effects, but I think I would only give it 6/10. :thumbsdown:

BaDBoY UK
22-03-06, 10:20 PM
Hmmmmm I'd like to try and answer McBains questions if possible.

The film is not about aliens landing on Earth and trying to wipe Humanity out, but rather one Families struggle through aliens landing on Earth and trying to wipe out Humanity. It was told from the view of Cruise's family, unlike Independence day which was all about the Aliens and their super technology. You have to understand that the family were chosen from the very beginning because they survived and their story is told. Therefore, it is because they survived that all the film happened in the way it did. Im sure somewhere else on Earth people were surviving and getting away but this film is about this paticular family and their paticular ordeal.

Does that make sense .....?

Story 9/10
Effects 10/10
Imagination 9/10
Dialogue 10/10

Ending 5/10 - Sorry but I am intelligent enough to work out what happened without the voice of Morgan Freeman to tell me what happened - microbes attacked the Aliens, they slowly died being unprepared, we take back our f**kin Planet .... The End.

P.S. Final question - in 1 million years maybe the Aliens should have visited, did some f**kin tests then realised they couldnt survive here? :lol:

chuckwood
23-03-06, 05:59 AM
I take it that no one actually has read the book then? The reason the Aliens die in the book is that they are overconfident and did not think about life on earth. They are purely 'brains' in the novel-having evolved so that they do not need the rest of their bodies-hence the tripods which they could change to suit whatever purpose they had.
The book was also set in the late 19th Century when studies about Microbes were just starting and we were understanding how bacteria worked. The Martians didnt realise that the Earth bacteria would harm them as they had never come here before-thus they slowly start preparing again so the earth is ever watchful in case of a second attack.
the movie was ok-Jeff wayne still owns the right to the musical version and apparently is releasing his own movie in 2008.

McBain
23-03-06, 05:24 PM
I take it that no one actually has read the book then?
Nope, and why should I need to? :roll: :)

Sharky
01-05-06, 05:26 PM
the War of the Worlds film left me disappointed, like others have said, it was great until the end! what a kop out!! i am guessing it followed the book, but i never read it. maybe make a better ending regardless of book followage!! (is that a word?) 6.5/10 cos of the ending

Lestat
19-09-06, 01:26 PM
I have to say I finally watched this and while it was okay I actualy thought it was a bit boring. I thought Cruises acting was rubbish. The boy and girl acted better. Its a very uninvolving story and you don't really have to think at all.

5.5/10 just for a few effects.