PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Lanarchy LAN Game Of The Year

McBain
21-12-04, 09:22 AM
So, which game do you think is the best multiplayer LAN game of 2004? If you had to play only one game all day at a LAN, which would it be?

For me this is a three horse race between CS:Source, UT2004 and Battlefield Vietnam. I was thinking perhaps Source loses a little because it is basically CS 1.6 but prettier. There are no new maps, no new game types and no new models, for me this rules it out leaving BF:V and UT2004 (which, although both are also just newer versions of older games, at least they bring something new).

For me, on its variety of mods and game modes, I then have to go with UT2004 I think :thumbs:

Sc00by
21-12-04, 11:35 AM
Having read your arguments above I feel compelled to agree! Which is kinda worrying.

But that Double Domination game is well cool and, for me, grabs it for UT...

CS:Source is still a damn good game and comfortably comes 2nd for me, but the game modes and vehicles, etc just give my vote to UT. (Never thought I'd do that... :shock: :eyes: :munt: )

[OLSC]Fizban
21-12-04, 12:22 PM
Voted CS:S as I've only played it and UT2004 in multiplayer and prefer CS:S

Fiz

Sir Kunmskull
21-12-04, 01:29 PM
this has got me torn on one hand i pefer the cs:s type of game to the frag fest of ut 2004 but the domination game type that we played on sat rocked (and i wasnt to bad at it) but saying that i love BFV as well i think you need a few more players to make the game better so maybe its more suited to online rather than lan. I hope that all the odds and sods that were available for 1.5 custom mods and maps ect become available on source or i think it will kill of part of the cs comiuty. SO based on all the nonsence above i ahve voted for UT2004 mainly because of its currant format over that of cs with it limited maps (at the mo anyway)

demonfist
21-12-04, 01:46 PM
I have both games, and play allot of others. I find CS:Source can be ultra good when you play in a good team, and you work as a unit. But for sheer playability and pick-up-n-go its ut2004. Although you cant deploy the same level of strategy, its still quite easy to be cunning towards your oponents. Plus the EAX effects do it for me. sb audigy zs 2 surround !

Magman
21-12-04, 02:02 PM
I must say, I did like UT, specialy double domination. Basicly if that type of game would be in CS:Source, like maybe we going to see that type of games in HL2 multiplayer, it would be great. I'm not too fussy on UT, a bit to unrealistic, too fast maybe... My vote went to CS:Source.
Now if there was a single player survey, I would have to vote for Doom III, man that game scared the shit out of me, it was very fun to play. Can't wait for Quake IV.

HUNTER
21-12-04, 07:41 PM
Having read your arguments above I feel compelled to agree! Which is kinda worrying.

But that Double Domination game is well cool and, for me, grabs it for UT...

CS:Source is still a damn good game and comfortably comes 2nd for me, but the game modes and vehicles, etc just give my vote to UT. (Never thought I'd do that... :shock: :eyes: :munt: )

Glad to see some of the CoF guys slowly turning from CS to UT :D

I also voted for UT2004

McBain
21-12-04, 10:22 PM
To be honest, we've always liked UT2004 but always hated Deathmatch style gameplay. As long as you play the right game modes, UT2004 is and has always been good fun. I'd almost forgotten about Double Dom until Saturday, recently been addicted to Assault instead. I think we could have played DD for longer... if there had only been more than 3 maps :(

HUNTER
22-12-04, 11:02 AM
there is a DD map pack and also a Classic DOM Map pack and mutator as well.

McBain
22-12-04, 06:39 PM
Links boy, links! :roll:

Peter Piper
22-12-04, 08:42 PM
Hi guys, but are we talking just talking about Lan games played at Lanarchy as i don't remember Far Cry or DOOM III being played....... Have you guys been holding secret Lan games without telling the [SEL] cru :shock:

If so then BF/BFV and DC all number one, UT2004 (not the Deathmatch) second, and CS (cos i'm crap).

Online is a different story

Here the link for the UT modes.
http://unrealtournament2004.filefront.com/

SpyHunterUK
22-12-04, 08:48 PM
I have to say Source, the best game of the year for me. :)

Gamith
22-12-04, 08:53 PM
BF:V for me - though CoD is up there I don't recall playing any at a LAN, and I don't have the UO version.

UT2004 is well and good, but it gets rather manic and there is no penalty for dying - with BF there is a delay before spawning that can make a big difference to the game, which to my mind puts it ahead.

TTFN

McBain
22-12-04, 09:10 PM
UT2004 is well and good, but it gets rather manic and there is no penalty for dying
Well, when playing DD as we did, the problem with dying was, if the countdown had started, there was no way of getting back to A or B in-time to stop it, so if the holding team killed enough it would have a better chance of winning a point.

PP, not necessarily games played at Lanarchy's, just what has been your favourite LANabble game from 2004. This of course differs from playing a game online... for example, I generally hate the BF games online, but veyr much enjoy them at LANs :thumbs:

HUNTER
24-12-04, 09:43 PM
Links boy, links! :roll:

supplied in other thread, sorry i had to go and find them

McBain
24-12-04, 11:00 PM
They are now, thanks. They weren't when I posted that :)

HUNTER
07-01-05, 05:58 PM
no problem, does UT2004 win then?

McBain
07-01-05, 09:58 PM
Looks like it :cheer: