PDA

View Full Version : Weekly CSM (Closed Server Match)

Sgt. Stadanko
03-09-05, 07:07 PM
Alright guys I just want to put forward a little idea which might spice up gameplaying at Lanarchy. I got the idea from a TFC community called Owol (http://www.oneworldon-line.com). Basically the concept was that every friday they would lock the Custom map server and pick captains (usually from among the server regulars because of their knowledge of player's skills) It is then up to the captains to pick teams and maps (usually crazy diabolical ones).

It would probaly cause a bit more extra work for the admins, but it would attract more people to LNY and enhance the whole community feeling. It would give people from the Assault server the chance to get to know some peeps from the Dust/Office. It's probaly more difficult with CSS cos it's not a social game as TFC where u respawn constantly and can chat wherever, but it would be fun all the same.

Constructive criticism is very welcome, Stad 8-)

Mitsukuu
03-09-05, 07:14 PM
I like that idea very much. Not sure how the admins would feel about it though. Also, if the server was locked, how would it be decided who was granted access and who wasn't? (assuming you don't mean LNY members only). Still sounds like fun :thumbs:

Damn It Im Shite Tonight
03-09-05, 07:15 PM
I'd definately be up for having a thrap if you guys decide you can do this. Not really played custom maps so would be a good excuse to give them a go.

helios
03-09-05, 07:16 PM
interesting idea, the slight problem is that non-regulars would not want to join in AND, it might actually have the effect of driving players away.

If it was for [LNY] and friends of [LNY], then it might be an idea if this was run on our match server. This would overcome problems i have mentioned above.

pitchblack
03-09-05, 07:22 PM
Can't you try getting a smaller sever than the speed one.

helios
03-09-05, 07:30 PM
We have a dedicated server that we run whatever servers we want on. A server could be setup to serve this on on fridays, depends if it goes ahead or not :D

Also, to sort the coms problems, we have Teamspeak.

Penguin
03-09-05, 07:30 PM
i like the idea, and im an admin :thumbs:

Crippler2032
03-09-05, 09:02 PM
its a possibility.

1) Until we figure out if the speed map server (the addition server) was causing the extra lag on the servers the idea of setting up a server is unlikely.

2) Doing it on a busy night might have the effect of pushing people away, it might be better to aim for a night that is not so busy (not having access to the stats i wouldnt know which to recommend however).

3) i have no problem with this, it would most likely need a forum thread to itself to sign up on and advertisment on the servers (tell the regulars you play with etc...) to fill the server, and create the teams, i would assume it would be a first come first serve basis for slots as the same 20 players each week would be unfair on others wanting to join the competiton. i would also assume that you would need at least 1 admin (to set map etc...) so it would need to be organised to have at least 1 of us there.

Those are just a few points, but as i said i have no problem with this or something similar, its good to see the community putting ideas forward :)

McBain
03-09-05, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I quite like the idea. On Cripps points -

#1 - my thoughts exactly. We'd have to lock one of the servers.

#2 - I think most nights now have all three servers bouncing off their 20 player limit at 'peak' times.

#3 - Yes, it would need a thread each week, and maybe once people post they are in, we PM them the password? How about we pick two teams, of up to 20 each (if we can get that many) and then we play through the evening, A vs B, people can swap in and out. Would take a lot of planning, but we would have an ongoing A vs B type scenario, with lots of playful jesting going on on the forum between the two teams :) (CoF guys will probably understand what I mean.)

Anyway, more thoughts and ideas welcome. (Bear in mind, we can probably push the server size up to 24 or 28 if needed)

pitchblack
03-09-05, 10:27 PM
sounds good

Penguin
03-09-05, 10:47 PM
I'd just like to add again, I can admin, and Im avaliable most of the time, so admining isnt a problem.

<offtopic> BTW, I read somewhere that lowering the server's mp_decals to 200-250 will improve performance. basically, decals is what it sounds like (bullet holes, blood stains etc) the default is 300. I'm not too sure what it's on atm, but maybe lowering the mp_decals in the server's cfg might help with performance? </offtopic>

helios
03-09-05, 11:12 PM
think thats client side penguin, how many the client displays....

Penguin
03-09-05, 11:14 PM
thats what I thought, but it said it was server side..... so meh :S

McBain
04-09-05, 08:21 AM
I'd just like to add again, I can admin, and Im avaliable most of the time, so admining isnt a problem.
Admining it isn't even close to being an issue... I'm sure most admins would like to be involved in this.

I was thinking of doing this Wednesday night perhaps? Then I've just thought, it will cut down the available time even further for [LNY] Clan matches... Unless we do it Saturday or Sunday evenings? Are they considered more popular gaming nights though? Or do people tend to go out drinking and such?

pitchblack
04-09-05, 09:01 AM
Well 6/7 days the servers are full at night so it doesn't realy matter, why not do a poll on the servers asking when do they mostly play.

helios
04-09-05, 10:35 AM
At the moment, we are getting chalenges for Sunday nights through (grrr). The only day that i think it could work on is Friday, as we are meant to be doing BF2 on thursday, and peopl;e tend to get plastered on saturdays and are recovering on sundays.......

Sgt. Stadanko
04-09-05, 02:38 PM
Well guys on owol they didn't need a thread every week, and didn't need to pm the password or have a sign up. Having a thread every week where there is a rush to sign up would just cause animosity between people. "WELL U PLD LAST WEEK NOOB!!111"They waited around for a pickup and when the server was full they put a passy on it and admins went to the other servers to amsg it to other peeps if anyone dropped out. The password was the same everyweek and they didn't have any probs. As for people being left out well.. owol had a base thrice the size of LNY and it didn't seem a hindrance. It should reduce the number of noobs who clog up assault and dust2 :D:D:D

It's nice to see all the positive feedback coming in, thanks guys 8-)

McBain
04-09-05, 09:31 PM
So, basically anyone is let onto the server, when it fills, you lock it... but let everyone on the other servers know...? I think I'm either misunderstanding what is going on, or just totally losing interest in this idea... as it seems no different to an average nights play?

pitchblack
04-09-05, 09:35 PM
when you put it like thats its seems so.

Penguin
04-09-05, 09:48 PM
what we could have is put notices up on the servers saying about this, get a team of x amount of any people who play on Lanarchy's plus x reserves to register on Lanarchy as a team. Then we have tournaments.

Or we could say, register for this weeks CSM, the first 20 registered people get put down on the "playing" list for that week, the next ten people get put down on the reserve list. If enough people dont show, the list is brought forward to next week.

Oh, and you could only play if you have a mic. And the teams could have captains that is somebody from [LNY]....

I think its a great way of invlving the community more.... it might even attract more people.

McBain
04-09-05, 09:58 PM
Just another thought... how about each server puts a team together and we have a 3 way league? For example, Mits captains a team of players from the Assault server, erm, Lestat captains a team of players from the Custom server and (*tries to think of a player I know from the dust server*) captains the third team. Just an idea...

pitchblack
04-09-05, 10:02 PM
Yeah take the highest ranking person(availble) from each sever.

Penguin
04-09-05, 10:41 PM
yeah, thats a really good idea, but what happens if, for example, not enough people turn up or are unreliable?

And would [LNY] guys get first priority for whichever team they pick?

pitchblack
04-09-05, 10:47 PM
Then they could be replaced,by looking at the sever there always almost full if not full already, so there is not going to be shortage of playes.
And i think [LNY] should get priority, because that might push people to join up.

Penguin
04-09-05, 10:51 PM
but what would make it really good would be if the teams had mics and all went on a TS channel. Then you'd get 10v10+ fun, almost clan matches, which would be great.

pitchblack
05-09-05, 08:44 AM
Or just where a bunch of people set up a team of say 5 and just play in a league, never know [LNY] might be the next ED.

Penguin
05-09-05, 04:20 PM
tbh, that would suck. I think server vs server would rule, as I would like this 'project' to be something different to clan matches, something more fun (yes, its possible!) and I think 10v10 'matches' laughing around seriously would be really great :thumbs:

Crippler2032
05-09-05, 04:51 PM
i like the server vs server idea, and more for fun and bragging rights than like a clan match. i think there would have to be a set of weekly votes for maps to be played as i am sure some would want to play custom maps and others would prefer standard maps

Penguin
05-09-05, 05:30 PM
maybe we could play a regular routine of the two most popular custom maps server (assault2k5 and bank), dust2 and office, and assault, so two maps from each server excluding the assault server.
OR
we could have:
twilight and bank (custom map server "home maps")
dust2 and office (dust2/office server "home maps")
assault and assault_2005 (assault server "home maps")

McBain
05-09-05, 09:43 PM
Okay, is anyone actually interested in co-ordinating this? I have a lot going on already (although would still want a hand in what was happening), I would rather CSS and BF2 match organisers continued doing what they do... so, someone else?

Penguin
05-09-05, 09:45 PM
I'm intrested in co-ordinating this....

Crippler2032
05-09-05, 09:46 PM
I've no problem with helping out but until i can get my CS: Source stable i'm not sure i can do much ingame for these. I've no problem with helping to organise some stuff.

To Pingu: Why not let them choose what maps they want to play rather than giving them some set maps?

Penguin
05-09-05, 09:47 PM
yeah, whatever, it was just an idea :D

McBain
05-09-05, 10:05 PM
The way I see it, if we do this each Friday night, each week could be one teams 'home' night. So if its the assault teams home night, we use their server and dust2/office play them twice and custom play them twice. Next week, its customs home night. The captain picks 4 maps, two are played against dust and two against assault.

Is that too big of an evening for the home team? 4 matches as both T and CT? It would mean the squad could be changed to give plenty of people a game?

Penguin
05-09-05, 10:44 PM
I think thats a good idea so long as we get enough people to show up.

I think we should not have "best of x amount of rounds" but highest scoring side after x amount of minutes...

McBain
05-09-05, 11:20 PM
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. Although, first to 12 might be fun too.

So, who are we thinking of captains for the servers? Mits has to be favourite for the assault server surely, if she's up for it? Damn for the dust2/office server? There are perhaps a few options for the custom server, but perhaps a [LNY] member should be captain of this team? Thats traditionally the favourite Lanarchy server.

Penguin, you want to contact a few people, appoint captains, start spreading the word on the servers? Maybe make a new post explaining the idea?

pitchblack
06-09-05, 07:14 AM
Ollie is top on custom so if he is around.

Sgt. Stadanko
06-09-05, 05:07 PM
soz mcb maybe i wasnt as clear as i thought i was being on that last post lol, when they locked the server then picked the teams there and then. If anyone dropped then the admins would go to the other serv to get peeps. It was always fun if that happened cos sometimes a really really decent player would join and one captain would go nuts because that could sway the tide of the game.

you have to understand how hard it is to convey such an idea when it was and is played on a different mod... in a text based medium. The reason i didnt put a poll or whatever on it straightaway is because the reader would probaly dismiss it as too much effort straightaway before discussing it.

cheers d00ds

Penguin
06-09-05, 05:41 PM
ok, i'll do that mcbain, but I want crippler to be just a part of it as I am, so I want to go over my ideas about things like captains and stuff like that with him, and see if what he wants to do before anything gets done 100% (that is, if I can catch him online)

We could still have the missing-person-pick-new-player thing, but i think its best if we get people to "sign up" to a kind of online sheet thing saying that they will be there (perhaps get them to post their xfire details as well) and see how that goes before we start randomly closing a server and asking random people if they want to play as a team. (the problem I see with random people is that they may not REALLY be intrested in a whole match, they may just play a round, spawn camp, TK, whatever....)

McBain
06-09-05, 09:48 PM
Thanks Sgt. I get what you mean now. We're adapting that idea then, what do you think? Hopefully we're not going to make it too organised that the fun is lost...

@ Penguin - sounds good, include Cripp... don't forget to incluse me. I'm a bit of a control freak don't forget ;) (Well, maybe not that I want to control it, but I want to know whats being discussed at least :) )

Penguin
06-09-05, 10:06 PM
lol, we havent discussed anything yet :D

dw, we were going to keep you just as in control as we are, just you dont have do do any work :)

McBain
06-09-05, 10:38 PM
dw, we were going to keep you just as in control as we are, just you dont have do do any work :)
I like the sound of that :thumbs: Just like at work ;)

Sgt. Stadanko
07-09-05, 04:28 PM
Yeah i think a sign up would be a better idea actually. Due to the social and laid back nature of TFC where u can just chat whenever u like it was definately alot easier. Loading times were alot faster so u cud just hop around server to server etc. but anyway I really like how you are adapting the idea for CSS.

Maybe the admins should consider a poll option on their final idea???

ArTFuL DoDGeR
11-09-05, 07:51 PM
just registered for lanarchy penguin told me about CSM and told me to sign up for it problem is cant find the form :s could someone help us plz
Merci Stokes

Penguin
11-09-05, 07:55 PM
its here:

http://www.lanarchy.co.uk/csm/csm.html

or down the bottom of the #csm page

McBain
11-09-05, 09:55 PM
:welcome: Welcome to the forum Stokes :)

Mincemeat
11-09-05, 10:19 PM
friday evenings...damn I cant do Friday evenings. Real life commitments you see.

McBain
11-09-05, 10:20 PM
Real life? pleh...

ArTFuL DoDGeR
12-09-05, 06:51 PM
Howdy all
Looking forward to CSM any chance i can see the teams and know what maps we playing on and other information like that thanks
Merci Stokes

McBain
12-09-05, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping for a bit more info from Penguin and Cripp? How many in each team so far, when are we thinking of trying this for the first time?

ArTFuL DoDGeR
12-09-05, 07:03 PM
hmm yes the info on this would be nice when, where, what, time, who?
good idea bu sounds like its gonna take a lot of organising i think penguin said something about doing it every friday but cant really remember so well just have to wait and see :)
Stokes

Penguin
12-09-05, 08:45 PM
I said earlier- the teams are posted on the sticky :)

We're getting who and time and we've got where and what :D