PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Ronnie Barker

McBain
04-10-05, 10:01 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40872000/jpg/_40872236_jasoncorbett2_203bbc.jpg

I'm sure most of you will know, but Ronnie Barker passed away today :(

To me the guy is a British Hero. 'Porridge' and 'Open All Hours' are possibly two of the best comedy series ever. I can watch them time after time (perhaps you'll know what I mean if you have UK Gold :side: ) and never tire of them.

Lets not also forget 'The Two Ronnies' of which he wrote 75% of the show under an assumed name.

Barker died peacefully on Monday with his wife Joy by his side, after a long period of heart trouble.

The comedian was best known as one half of long-running TV double act The Two Ronnies with Corbett.

Corbett described the 40 years they worked together as "an absolute pleasure".

At the peak of Barker's career, The Two Ronnies entertained 17 million people every Saturday night.

The show, which ran for 15 years, mixed sketches, wordplay and funny songs.

If you haven't seen any of his stuff, perhaps some of the younger guys on the fourm, I highly recommend it. I expect we'll get to see quite a bit of it over the next week or two. I hope so.

BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4307852.stm)

SpyHunterUK
04-10-05, 10:11 PM
I've seen a few episodes of Porridge as well as some of their Sketches, my favourites being Four Candles (Fork handles) and the one where they're in a restaurant but dont use words - Av u n e t? (Figure it out :P)

Bounty Hunter
04-10-05, 10:39 PM
Very funny guy. Dont think the younger generation will understand just how funny he was. Now it really is goodnight from him

gob
04-10-05, 11:10 PM
A total legend. Porridge is one of the greats and most of his stuff is funnier than most comedy being produced today. RIP

Sc00by
05-10-05, 06:52 AM
:that:

A comedic legend, the world will be a slightly less funny place now he's gone.

"Would you adam and eve it?

Go to Jail!"

:lol:

pitchblack
05-10-05, 06:54 AM
I know im only 15 but i loved hiom and his work i'm so sad he died.

Let his ledgend live on!!!!!

Smokey
05-10-05, 07:50 AM
Open all hours is brilliant, i pissed myself everytime he touched that till!!! awesome.

McBain
05-10-05, 05:10 PM
"Granville! Fe, fe, fe... fe, fe... fetch a cloth!"

I don't remember so much of 'The Two Ronnies' but talking a bit about them at breakfast at work brought a few memoried back. The Worm That Turned, the Raspberry Ripper :lol:

pitchblack
05-10-05, 05:41 PM
the Raspberry Ripper

I hated this one, arrr pissed me off, so cheesy.

SpyHunterUK
05-10-05, 07:30 PM
the Raspberry Ripper :lol:

:lol:

That was one of the best :)