PDA

View Full Version : HL2 Specs

HUNTER
19-07-03, 05:15 PM
HL2 will run even using DX6 level cards (TNT2, Rage128 etc). The engine auto-disables features that can't be run, so you'll lose the 3D skybox, volumetric fog, dynamic shadows, bump-mapping etc etc

DX7 level cards (GeForce1, original Radeon) introduce 3D sky, limited smoke and fog, higher texture resolution, some dynamic shadows, but still lacking the sweet water effects and bump-mapping.

DX8 level cards (GF3, Radeon 8500 / 9000+) start to get good - better volumetric fogging and smoke effects, bump-mapping, higher texture res, with texture variations (more detailed textures for cards with 128mb), dynamic props near to the cam (i.e. grass and rocks) and pretty water effects.

DX9 level cards (Radeon 9500+, FX5600+) are when everything's on and looking sweet Full fogging effects, bump-mapped characters, beautiful water effects, soft edge dynamic shadows, great smoke and fog, mutts nuts in other words

I didn't include the FX5200 in amongst the DX9 cards as I reckon that whilst it can physically display all the effects, it doesn't have the power to enable them all and run em at a decent speed. Be nice if I was wrong, but I think even the Radeon 9500 and FX5600 will struggle to run all eye candy above 800*600. Not to mention adding AA/AF on top..

The Radeon 9800Pro and FX5900U will breeze thru this game.

Peter Piper
19-07-03, 05:57 PM
Does that mean when CS uses this new engine there will be trouble :(

McBain
19-07-03, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't think so, if it automatically downgrades the game to suit the power of the PC. :thumbs:

Reevey
19-07-03, 07:45 PM
UT the original did that didn't it? Not that anybody with a new PC playing it now would need it, even my PC doesnt need low or med settings :P

HUNTER
19-07-03, 11:25 PM
nope but they are different and UT is older